Clarke...6

Gerrard ... 6

Hunt...6

Back 4 with little pace and not much going forward

Fane.. 7.5

Green... 6

Banks...5

mclaughlin.. 6

Fane breaks it up well and looks more solid and muscular this year. I think he could be a very good player.

Green out of position but worker hard

Banks....Apparantly if you criticise him you're making him the whipping boy but he does that himself. Absolute waste of a shirt. Cant run, cant pass, cant deliver a set peice, cant tackle, loses men all the time and swans about like hes zidane. I dont wanna see him play again. 

Mclaughlin tried but no end product. 

Ultimately a 4 with no creativity and not much steel. Lost count of how many times oxford jogged through the middle without a challange. Fane cant do it all

Holloway.. 6

Davies..6

Average ratings for these two but they had zero service....as such went looking for the ball in all the wrong areas to match their skill set

Subs

Flynn... 4

Duffus.. 6 (same as other strikers) 

Tope.. 6 

Not solid enough in midfield to be hard to beat and not enough creativity to just outscore a team... Worrying times but still time to beef up the squad... It needs it! 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ye gods that was not good to watch...no shape, no wingers, no shots.

best team won. 

New GK looked okay, like it's been said he likes to distribute it early, shame we don't have anyone to act upon it and it comes right back. Fane my MOTM.

get the buggers in tomoz and let them sit through the recorded match and stick the relegation fav on the dressing room door to motivate them.

normal service has resumed

5 minutes ago, Fruitygoo said:

Keeper..... 7

Wilson.... 7

Clarke...6

Gerrard ... 6

Hunt...6

Fane.. 7.5

Green... 6

Banks...5

mclaughlin.. 6

Fane breaks it up well and looks more solid and muscular this year. I think he could be a very good player.

Banks....Apparantly if you criticise him you're making him the whipping boy but he does that himself. Absolute waste of a shirt. Cant run, cant pass, cant deliver a set peice, cant tackle, loses men all the time and swans about like hes zidane. I dont wanna see him play again. 

Ultimately a 4 with no creativity and not much steel. Lost count of how many times oxford jogged through the middle without a challange. Fane cant do it all

Holloway.. 6

Davies..6

Average ratings for these two but they had zero service....as such went looking for the ball in all the wrong areas to match their skill set

Subs

Flynn... 4

Tope.. 6 

Not solid enough in midfield to be hard to beat and not enough creativity to just outscore a team... Worrying times but still time to beef up the squad... It needs it! 

Agree with most of that, except Banks with a 5, more like a 2. 

Dident take our chances again and was punished, Davies Green and Tope all good chances but spooned them all, Oxford decent side and there defence dealt with everything we threw at them Davies and Holloway won't work to simular for me, need someone running off them like Tope or Mcghuachlin, Banks weak as piss hopefully Gardener is better, Green poor, Fand did his job, our MOM was Brian Wilson dident put a foot wrong all game, like to see Duffus start next game with Tope, only the first day hopefully Shez has a couple more irons in the fire i.e. new players 2 trialists looked good and maybe one more midfield player Welsh or Douglas 

Banks and Green very poor, Did Holloway have one attempt at goal? 

The subs made no difference at all which is concerning. Having said that Duffus must start against Burton.

Should we have played a game last Tuesday? the playes looked drained rather than the expected super fit.

Oxford were far sharper.

Midfield looked unbalanced with Fane on the left and McLaughlin in the middle. Don't know whether this was tried before today in preseason. Like someone else said 3-5-2 looks the best formation with the players we have, i.e Green, Fane and either Gardner or Fawns in the centre.

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Banks and Green very poor, Did Holloway have one attempt at goal? 

The subs made no difference at all which is concerning. Having said that Duffus must start against Burton.

Should we have played a game last Tuesday? the playes looked drained rather than the expected super fit.

Oxford were far sharper.

Holloway was ineffective, yes, but the service was dross. He won't have a chance to score in this side apart from the lucky odd ricochet.

Of that midfield three, two have to be replaced by a new man with a bit of everything or else we're going to be absolutely dreadful in front of goal again.

4 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Holloway could become a target for the boo boys pretty soon.

Green will be first though.

Green works hard but is definately not a wide man. His work ethic will keep boo boys away. Hollaway, again, should be ok as people can see its a service issue

Oxford were a pretty good professional outfit,we were a not very good professional outfit..But when have the rules been changed,that when a defender can handle the ball in the area and throw it out for a corner been introduced ?

9 minutes ago, Fruitygoo said:

Green works hard but is definately not a wide man. His work ethic will keep boo boys away. Hollaway, again, should be ok as people can see its a service issue

A striker who never scores, ok if you're winning, problem if not.

No beating about the bush, that was awful!  Their keeper won't have an easier afternoon all season. Players out of position again!  Green is no RW, play McLaughlin there and tope  on the left. Holloways best work was out wide instead of in the box, he's certainly not the answer to our lack of goals. Davies meh! 

Oxford were good value for their win, looked to get forward and much quicker to any loose balls and more determination ( which is criminal for an home team imo )  early days but I'm seeing the same old problems, no creativity from midfield whatsoever, banks was awful and played too deep. 

Hope we still have scope to wheel and deal.

1 hour ago, Fruitygoo said:

Keeper..... 7

Wilson.... 7

Clarke...6

Gerrard ... 6

Hunt...6

Fane.. 7.5

Green... 6

Banks...5

mclaughlin.. 6

Holloway.. 6

Davies..6

Subs

Flynn... 4

Tope.. 6 

This is the best write up I’ve read so far. Agreed with every word and feel Green is coming in for some unfair stick tbh. He can’t cross them balls in, it’s not his game but when they broke it was him getting back and doing the dirty work. Fane did too on the other side of the diamond. 

The tactic just didn’t work. Infact, no midfield will with Banks in it. We saw this last season. Someone above says Shez will know what needs to be done with the midfield...I hope he does. I’ve been disappointed he didn’t tell Banks and Flynn to find new clubs as the coach rolled out of Wimbledon in April. Hopefully Gardner and A.N.Other will be the answer because if we keep doing the same, we will get the same results. 

135pts to play for...

1 minute ago, latics22 said:

Oxford won't be up there, they looked mildly better than us and we were dross

Disagree, they looked good at the back, midfield was miles better than ours, and the striker caused a few problems, I think they'll be pushing for the play offs.

Lets not hide behind the offside goal, their keeper handling outside the box and their defender handling on the line.  Forget the three fluffed chances.

There were three things wrong today - the tactics, the players selected and the  shape.

I do not want to watch long ball float it forward football.

What a load of rubbish.

9 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Oxford won't be up there, they looked mildly better than us and we were dross

Have to disagree, they will be up there this season with quality players like Payne in the side.

Guest Stanley30

I know I'm classed as a troll on here but thought the back 4 were tight today, they will improve over time with wilson organising them. Midfield played safe and felt that no one drove us forward. Front. 2 had no service so struggled. For me fawns would have made a dif today, we need a creative spark

2 minutes ago, Stanley30 said:

I know I'm classed as a troll on here but thought the back 4 were tight today, they will improve over time with wilson organising them. Midfield played safe and felt that no one drove us forward. Front. 2 had no service so struggled. For me fawns would have made a dif today, we need a creative spark

Spot with the last bit, we definitely need that creative spark, we need to play 3-5-2 for me today we were set up wrong Green should not be the one trying to put in crosses from the right he should be more central with Fane alongside him (who was our best player today). Put today behind us we can and will do much better.

15 minutes ago, Stanley30 said:

I thought our defence was weak today, even Clarke was at fault for their second imo, too many times they waltzed into our box 

This idea of playing players out of position baffles me!  Green as a RW.....no way, if you want width then play natural wingers. And tell the forwards to occupy the box in the unlikely event we get a decent cross in!  Holloway drifts to the wing like countless strikers before him, maybe frustration at the lack of any quality service.