Ex players and that

4 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

He was way too flamboyant to be a success here and your Chris Moore analogy could be spot on.

He sometimes had 4 or 5 horses running in the same race which doesn't exactly display the shrewd businessman persona some would suggest he had. 

does that not just vastly increase his chance of winning/placing? 

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

does that not just vastly increase his chance of winning/placing? 

Well yes but only one can win so it costs plenty in entrance fees, jockeys and training expenses for the privilege.

I was trying to make the point that just throwing money at something doesn't necessarily work.

The best strikers don't need multiple shots to score !  😀  

34 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

yeah.

l dont really like horse racing but l do like horses and even a basic field horse is expensive so racing them must be like owning boats!!

Jonjo O'Neill charges £56 per day training fees for example. Then you've entry fees, travelling costs, farrier and gallop fees, and that's before you start with veterinary costs. 

43 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

yeah.

l dont really like horse racing but l do like horses and even a basic field horse is expensive so racing them must be like owning boats!!

There are syndicate race horses. I was in one with 3 horses and never saw one win.

12 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

It could just be that some extravagant spending caught up with him but he was in businesses that would have been knocked for six by Covif

Had he been half as shrewd a businessman as was often claimed, one might have expected him to have negotiated the last few years rather better than he did. As Glossop says, bullet dodged.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Jonjo O'Neill charges £56 per day training fees for example. Then you've entry fees, travelling costs, farrier and gallop fees, and that's before you start with veterinary costs. 

It is expensive, but if you know your horse is ready you can recoup courtesy of the bookmakers. 

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Ben Wilson being a fully fledged Championship goalkeeper never ceases to amaze me.

Latics' fans refusual to believe young players can improve as they age, with the correct support, has a similar impact on me.

not to mention the higher peak and maturity age for 'Keepers.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

National League 2023 - 24

AFC Fylde
Aldershot Town
Altrincham
Barnet
Boreham Wood
Bromley
Chesterfield
Dagenham & Redbridge
Dorking Wanderers
Eastleigh
Ebbsfleet United
FC Halifax Town
Gateshead
Hartlepool United
Kidderminster Harriers
Maidenhead United
Oldham Athletic
Oxford City
Rochdale
Solihull Moors
Southend United
Wealdstone
Woking
York City

Onlt half a dozen reasonable travel.

We need to get out of Division 5 South.

Edited by BP1960

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Onlt half a dozen reasonable travel.

We need to get out of Division 5 South.

I make it 10 aways within 2-2.5 hours, so not too bad. Plenty of London trips, which is always good transport wise if the train service sort itself out etc.

4 hours ago, Steve_R said:

Liam Kelly captaining Coventry against Middlesbrough in the playoffs. I liked him but he got a bit of stick while he was here, but could be leading his team in the premier league next season

Is that not a different Liam Kelly?

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Is that not a different Liam Kelly?

No, same one. There is a different Liam Kelly who plays in the EFL, but this is the same one. He’s been at Coventry for years now, and has been captain a fair few of them.