Ex players and that

5 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

He was vastly overrated by some. Just because his successors have been mainly poor, does not make Lee Johnson a good coach.

I'm probably not qualified to judge him as a coach but I can honestly say it's the only period in about the last 10 years when I never missed a game, he had us playing some good stuff and was working for a couple of absolute frauds in Corney and Shitpeas, I thought he got the fan base as well, whether that was bullshit who knows but I liked him.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm probably not qualified to judge him as a coach but I can honestly say it's the only period in about the last 10 years when I never missed a game, he had us playing some good stuff and was working for a couple of absolute frauds in Corney and Shitpeas, I thought he got the fan base as well, whether that was bullshit who knows but I liked him.

It’s always bullshit to an extent, (because the managers that do it well say it at every club) but it’s important bullshit because all fans like feeling a connection with the manager. LJ and MM are very similar in that regard, they both make effort with the fans, mention them interviews without prompting. They about ‘what Oldham fans want and expect’ (which is the same at every club 😂

35 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It’s always bullshit to an extent, (because the managers that do it well say it at every club) but it’s important bullshit because all fans like feeling a connection with the manager. LJ and MM are very similar in that regard, they both make effort with the fans, mention them interviews without prompting. They about ‘what Oldham fans want and expect’ (which is the same at every club 😂

Well Hibs fans couldn't wait to get rid of him. He was almost a figure of fun on the Scottish A View From The Terrace programme.

Johnson has had some degree of progress with us, Barnsley, Bristol City and Sunderland.  All four were in better positions when he left compared to when he took them on.

Hibs clearly went pretty badly wrong though and, with the attacking threats in the Fleetwood squad, he should have had them away from the relegation zone by now (Exeter went on a 13 game winless run where they only scored 3 goals yet Fleetwood still couldn't leapfrog them!), so his sacking doesn't seem unfair in my eyes.

I can't help but think if he would've been in a better position if he had seen the seasons out with us and Barnsley.  If he had made the playoffs with us in 14/15 I think he would've left on better terms with our fans and his stock would've been high, same with Barnsley as he had clearly turned the club around and they were heading for the playoffs with him.  Heckingbottom picked up where he left off and won promotion.  In either case, both would've been achievements that he could've built his career on.

Instead he developed a reputation for being a very streaky and disloyal manager, before this season just being a calamitous one.

I was impressed with his ability (certainly not his loyalty) when he was with us and wouldn't be surprised if he does well at another club given the chance, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get that chance.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Probably the best of the rookie managers in recent times although that wouldn't be the strongest of contests.

Which in itself makes it bizarre that that’s where you thought we should have looked before going for 5PM

(im gonna start calling our manager 5’O clock 🤔 )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Johnson has had some degree of progress with us, Barnsley, Bristol City and Sunderland.  All four were in better positions when he left compared to when he took them on.

Hibs clearly went pretty badly wrong though and, with the attacking threats in the Fleetwood squad, he should have had them away from the relegation zone by now (Exeter went on a 13 game winless run where they only scored 3 goals yet Fleetwood still couldn't leapfrog them!), so his sacking doesn't seem unfair in my eyes.

I can't help but think if he would've been in a better position if he had seen the seasons out with us and Barnsley.  If he had made the playoffs with us in 14/15 I think he would've left on better terms with our fans and his stock would've been high, same with Barnsley as he had clearly turned the club around and they were heading for the playoffs with him.  Heckingbottom picked up where he left off and won promotion.  In either case, both would've been achievements that he could've built his career on.

Instead he developed a reputation for being a very streaky and disloyal manager, before this season just being a calamitous one.

I was impressed with his ability (certainly not his loyalty) when he was with us and wouldn't be surprised if he does well at another club given the chance, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get that chance.

I don’t think it was a lack of loyalty when he left….didn’t Corney force him out and basically sell him to Barnsley?

On 12/31/2023 at 11:29 AM, deyres42 said:

Probably the best of the rookie managers in recent times although that wouldn't be the strongest of contests.

Suspect he'll find it hard to get back in anywhere in the short term so probably off to the Sky studios.

He has a large property and business portfolio too so I doubt he'd end up on the pundit roundabout.

He manufactured his move to Barnsley, no question. I think he's done that a few times since and jumped ship well before giving a project any reasonable time to play out to keep his stock as high as he could. He also showed his true colours on the destructive Ched Evans affair too. 

He's a snake. Had a nice little purple patch under his tenure, and some pathetic heavy defeats. The Ched bollocks, followed by him jumping ship just left a sour taste. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

He has a large property and business portfolio too so I doubt he'd end up on the pundit roundabout.

He manufactured his move to Barnsley, no question. I think he's done that a few times since and jumped ship well before giving a project any reasonable time to play out to keep his stock as high as he could. He also showed his true colours on the destructive Ched Evans affair too. 

He's a snake. Had a nice little purple patch under his tenure, and some pathetic heavy defeats. The Ched bollocks, followed by him jumping ship just left a sour taste. 

Hes a strange one, he had potential to be a success but he never really achieved anything tangible at any of the clubs he's been at. He had us up and around the play offs but left without getting us anywhere, the minute he started looking good at Barnsley he jumped ship to what you would think would be his dream job at Bristol City. Where he had a notable run in the league cup but again that was it, it didn't end in what they would see as success which was promotion to the PL. His jobs since then have been less successful. He's never actually won anything.

He could definitely talk the talk which does help as it will help you get people onside and potentially he could do some punditry but I don't think we've seem the last of him as a manager. I'm sure a southern based club will take him on and I wouldn't bet against him succeeding.

Edited by GlossopLatic

On 12/31/2023 at 11:58 AM, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Which in itself makes it bizarre that that’s where you thought we should have looked before going for 5PM

(im gonna start calling our manager 5’O clock 🤔 )

5PM- Lovely.

5 O’clock - too vague. 

I was thinking of nicking John le Carre  The night manager, but 5PM is to early for that, so I thought of- 

The early evening manager.

But that sounds like a quaint 80’s sitcom, and not a reflection of the footballing  titan we have in the dugout. 

5PM it is- but let’s keep it fluid and open to development. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, League one forever said:

He has a soft spot for anyone young and progressive, like David Dunn. 

Funny the first fourteen times you said that, even if the origins of it remain a mystery, need some new material for 2024 though surely.

26 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Funny the first fourteen times you said that, even if the origins of it remain a mystery, need some new material for 2024 though surely.

Like so many of your big calls you’ve developed that selective amnesia again. 

The origins are deep rooted in the 567 times you defended him despite some horrific football and returning 3 wins in 2O games because he was young and progressive. It’s now used- not for amusement but as a yardstick for your acumen when you challenge the idea of employing 5PM. 

12 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The origins are deep rooted in the 567 times you defended him despite some horrific football and returning 3 wins in 2O games because he was young and progressive. It’s now used- not for amusement but as a yardstick for your acumen when you challenge the idea of employing 5PM. 

Give it a rest both of you. It's a new year  lets start a fresh shall we?

37 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Considering the circumstances he did OK for a guy who went from playing to managing essentially overnight. I don't recall ever describing him as young and progressive or even suggesting it was the right appointment, you might be able to dig something to the contrary out of the archives though.

7 hours ago, Littlemoor Lad said:

A frontline of Luamba, Smith and McAleny wasn't enough to prevent Salford getting pasted 3 nowt at Accrington 

Bubble has well and truly burst at Salford . I wonder if they have reached the end of the road.

7 hours ago, penrhyn said:

Bubble has well and truly burst at Salford . I wonder if they have reached the end of the road.

Don’t understand the concept at Salford at all. A totally pointless exercise as there just isn’t sufficient interest/appetite for a football league club.

Even if they bought their way into the Championship they’d have to upgrade their stadium significantly and yet still be hard pressed to average 5k fans.

I can see the class of 92 bailing out soon!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Don’t understand the concept at Salford at all. A totally pointless exercise as there just isn’t sufficient interest/appetite for a football league club.

Even if they bought their way into the Championship they’d have to upgrade their stadium significantly and yet still be hard pressed to average 5k fans.

I can see the class of 92 bailing out soon!

Wouldn't say pointless, think it was an outlet for them to do something together and have some fun with it.

Too much pride and money invested to bail out now.