Ex players and that

Just for the record, Tony didn't know when he declared for Ireland that his mother was adopted therefore her Irish dad wasn't a blood relative of Tony's. 

Hard to blame the guy for taking the call up when it came, It was an opportunity in his profession. And he always gave it his best. 

Footballers wages werent massive back then. And I'm not surprised Tony has traded on some of the more dubious aspects of his career since retirement. I've met him. I didn't particularly like him. But I understand the situation he was in as a player, and why he has to joke about it now in the after-dinner speaking circuit etc. 

As an aside, I'm Irish but my grandfather was from Oldham (no adoptions in this case) - hence my undying loyalty to Latics... I hope that means I'm as much a fan as those lucky enough to be able to walk to Boundary Park minus the Ryanair flight! 

29 minutes ago, Nohairdontcare said:

Just for the record, Tony didn't know when he declared for Ireland that his mother was adopted therefore her Irish dad wasn't a blood relative of Tony's. 

Hard to blame the guy for taking the call up when it came, It was an opportunity in his profession. And he always gave it his best. 

Footballers wages werent massive back then. And I'm not surprised Tony has traded on some of the more dubious aspects of his career since retirement. I've met him. I didn't particularly like him. But I understand the situation he was in as a player, and why he has to joke about it now in the after-dinner speaking circuit etc. 

As an aside, I'm Irish but my grandfather was from Oldham (no adoptions in this case) - hence my undying loyalty to Latics... I hope that means I'm as much a fan as those lucky enough to be able to walk to Boundary Park minus the Ryanair flight! 

Thanks nohairdc, good to hear from you again.

I suppose if we go far enough back many of us could qualify for different countries by blood.

Personally, I can't trace any heritage further back than Lancashire's cotton mills.

I hazard a guess though we might have some claims to royalty on OWTB?

Edited by BP1960

31 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Thanks nohairdc, good to hear from you again.

I suppose if we go far enough back many of us could qualify for different countries by blood.

Personally, I can't trace any heritage further back than Lancashire's cotton mills.

I hazard a guess though we might have some claims to royalty on OWTB?

Cheers BP! 

I don’t post much but always enjoy reading your take on things. 

In an ideal world I suppose the link between where you are from and who you play for in sport would be stronger. 

But it’s all business these days. 

Anyway, also for the record I should probably add that Tony played for that Nancy team we’re hearing a lot about - please don’t let him have discovered an Oldham relative and want to be our next manager/coach/anything! 

6 hours ago, Nohairdontcare said:

Does to me.

Personally I'm eligible to play for England and Northern Ireland, whilst my son is eligible to play for England, Northern Ireland, South Africa and Eire.

How cosmopolitan!

Edited by Monty Burns

9 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Anyone eligible for Northern Ireland can play for Ireland as their grandparents were born in a time when Ireland listed all 32 counties as it's own. Not a problem for me with Derry and Mayo claims. Miss out on Wales by a generation.

Still holding out for them coming calling, then?