Ex players and that

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Tarkowski outstanding again at Everton.

Very different player to the one that was here. As to be expected... 

Working a treat for Dyche, but can't help feel Burnley fans will still not be aware of his ability on the ball, shame for them like.

2 hours ago, MAC0AFC said:

Very different player to the one that was here. As to be expected... 

Working a treat for Dyche, but can't help feel Burnley fans will still not be aware of his ability on the ball, shame for them like.

The one in my work stopped me last week to spend 10 minutes telling me how insanely good his passing was. Compared his long range passing to Gerrard.

2 minutes ago, leeslover said:

The one in my work stopped me last week to spend 10 minutes telling me how insanely good his passing was. Compared his long range passing to Gerrard.

Ha, brilliant. Two lads at Uni both go home and away criticised his ball work and passing... I told them that was one of his best attributes when with us, opinions eh!

5 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Refused to re-sign.

....questions the planning from the manager & owner at the time doesn’t it.... either sell him before his contract ends or find the funds to resign him early enough.... assuming they realised the asset they had. If they undervalued him, more poor planning. IIRC, he was signed before Shez was first sacked, but Shez didn’t play him much.... he became a fixture under Dickov, admittedly at RB.... but the club messed it up one way or another. Ditto Matt Smith.... albeit he didn’t look like much of an asset until the FA Cup games. Add Taylor, Tarky & Dale Stephens to the mix and you would say we’ve let too many very good players leave for not enough return over last 5 years. One hopes we might get better at it with new owners who clearly understand the player market.... the major concern -without understand the new owners modus operandi - being the club may still not be the primary beneficiary.

2 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

You beat me to it BP. After another MOTM award, surely an England call-up can't be far off. Burnley now 6th, in no small measure due to Tarkowski's form.

I expect Poland to have another go at persuading him to play for them.

56 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

....questions the planning from the manager & owner at the time doesn’t it.... either sell him before his contract ends or find the funds to resign him early enough.... assuming they realised the asset they had. If they undervalued him, more poor planning. IIRC, he was signed before Shez was first sacked, but Shez didn’t play him much.... he became a fixture under Dickov, admittedly at RB.... but the club messed it up one way or another. Ditto Matt Smith.... albeit he didn’t look like much of an asset until the FA Cup games. Add Taylor, Tarky & Dale Stephens to the mix and you would say we’ve let too many very good players leave for not enough return over last 5 years. One hopes we might get better at it with new owners who clearly understand the player market.... the major concern -without understand the new owners modus operandi - being the club may still not be the primary beneficiary.

We slipped up not signing Byrne on a contract, wouldn't surprise me if he was called up by the ROI for a full cap soon. 

Just now, BP1960 said:

We slipped up not signing Byrne on a contract, wouldn't surprise me if he was called up by the ROI for a full cap soon. 

...my understanding / Reading of that was that we were under financial restrictions and couldn’t afford to.... as opposed to not wanting to!?!

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

Some fair in that, some not. Nobody wanted to offer Matt Smith a 3 year deal on a living wage until after the point he was free to sign a pre-contract after his Scouse-battering antics. Taylor had decided to leave and didn't sign a contract that would have lowered his next wage, and I don't blame him. We certainly have lost money through selling sell ons though. They are only a worthwhile strategy as part of your youth development if you are able to hold out for the big one IMO 

16 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

...my understanding / Reading of that was that we were under financial restrictions and couldn’t afford to.... as opposed to not wanting to!?!

So in January a bid could be in ?

1 minute ago, leeslover said:

Some fair in that, some not. Nobody wanted to offer Matt Smith a 3 year deal on a living wage until after the point he was free to sign a pre-contract after his Scouse-battering antics. Taylor had decided to leave and didn't sign a contract that would have lowered his next wage, and I don't blame him. We certainly have lost money through selling sell ons though. They are only a worthwhile strategy as part of your youth development if you are able to hold out for the big one IMO 

We have 15yo we have who's recently starred for England, big clubs chasing him I hear.

1 minute ago, leeslover said:

I think I covered Smith..... but if you know you’re offering Taylor a paycut and he’s therefore unlikely to stay, why not try to maximise the asset by selling instead of letting him leave for nowt....!?! I’d have liked to have see us gamble - by awarding a decent contract - to one of Lee, Stephens or Tarky - on the basis the intention was to sell for good money. Alas we didn’t on any, which indicates poor planning.

2 minutes ago, lookersstandandy said:

I think I covered Smith..... but if you know you’re offering Taylor a paycut and he’s therefore unlikely to stay, why not try to maximise the asset by selling instead of letting him leave for nowt....!?! I’d have liked to have see us gamble - by awarding a decent contract - to one of Lee, Stephens or Tarky - on the basis the intention was to sell for good money. Alas we didn’t on any, which indicates poor planning.

I suppose the knack is to know which of your average players/duffers are going to turn out ok. The roll call of players we've quite reasonably not been sad to see go but who've done well since makes me think we could have ended up with a lot of shit players on big money. I'd rather gamble on the good ones we've sold on to bigger clubs, they seem to know their business and wouldn't be trying to buy out clauses if they weren't testing out our needs for cashflow