Next Oldham Manager?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, RichardOafc said:

Sean gregan has left Darlington after 5 days due to a conflict of interests BBC sports are reporting, he could be the ideal right hand man to help wellens.

3 hours ago, Stainrod said:

Hmmmmm. You might be onto something there!

did he ever play in the same team as RW? ..  Would be a good appointment if he's a coach in the same guise as a player!

I'd give Wellens the job at first until Christmas and then until the end of the season. If objectives are reached, then a long contract is triggered.

It's far too early to tell whether Wellens is the right man long term, but he's ticked all the boxes and more so far earning a shot at it. We've played excellent, entertaining football, he's one of our own and he's unified the team under some challenging circumstances. If someone walks in to the job now then I'd see that as a bit of a travesty.

14 hours ago, RichardOafc said:

Sean gregan has left Darlington after 5 days due to a conflict of interests BBC sports are reporting, he could be the ideal right hand man to help wellens.

Gregan has been offered managership of Darlington on his own till end of season but has turned it down. Wants the security  of his role as a director of Martin Gray academy rather than anything else. Don't think we would be regarded as a secure long term opportunity ! 

20 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Watching England I think Wellens would have more idea than Southgate.

Southgate is typical of the coaching system they all have to go through. Keep possession, two touch football, don't run at players (note Rashford and Ox stopped doing it) and pass it sideways and backwards. Hodgson was clueless tactically.

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

Southgate is typical of the coaching system they all have to go through. Keep possession, two touch football, don't run at players (note Rashford and Ox stopped doing it) and pass it sideways and backwards. Hodgson was clueless tactically.

I liked what Wellens said about learning more from watching games than studying the coaching manual.

Edited by BP1960

On 06/10/2017 at 1:23 PM, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I'd give Wellens the job at first until Christmas and then until the end of the season. If objectives are reached, then a long contract is triggered.

It's far too early to tell whether Wellens is the right man long term, but he's ticked all the boxes and more so far earning a shot at it. We've played excellent, entertaining football, he's one of our own and he's unified the team under some challenging circumstances. If someone walks in to the job now then I'd see that as a bit of a travesty.

I rolled my eyes when Wellens was given the role albeit temporarily but he's winning me over. He immediately changed the shape v Peterborough in moving Bryan into the back line, He was brave enough to break up the increasingly chuckle brothersesque partnership there and brought in Placide who Sheridan didn't rate. Fane has been a revelation under his stewardship too despite the many comments on here that Wellens doesn't rate him. Clarkey's ego has been massaged and now he's the main man with a confident keeper behind him he looks more like his old self. 

There's a can do mentality within the team and we are getting at teams with the ball and hunting in packs without it, we suddenly look a good side. However, the three players that sparked an improvement v Charlton Byrne, Doyle and Bryan were all Sheridan signings - he had the tools but didn't make the adjustments around them. Wellens for me gets at the very least until the end of the month - that's:-

Blackburn (H)

Bradford (A)

Dongs (A)

Bury (H)
Scunny (H)

6 Points + from that lot surely he has to get a go?  Much better than El Pablo Tommy Teacake that no one wants or has heard of. Even Wellens' subs have been intelligent so far and have helped to close games out. To score two goals with ten men shows that RW is no Kelly, Dunn or Robinson. Give the lad a go....

Edited by oafcprozac

33 minutes ago, oafcprozac said:

I rolled my eyes when Wellens was given the role albeit temporarily but he's winning me over. He immediately changed the shape v Peterborough in moving Bryan into the back line, He was brave enough to break up the increasingly chuckle brothersesque partnership there and brought in Placide who Sheridan didn't rate. Fane has been a revelation under his stewardship too despite the many comments on here that Wellens doesn't rate him. Clarkey's ego has been massaged and now he's the main man with a confident keeper behind him he looks more like his old self. 

There's a can do mentality within the team and we are getting at teams with the ball and hunting in packs without it, we suddenly look a good side. However, the three players that sparked an improvement v Charlton Byrne, Doyle and Bryan were all Sheridan signings - he had the tools but didn't make the adjustments around them. Wellens for me gets at the very least until the end of the month - that's:-

Blackburn (H)

Bradford (A)

Dongs (A)

Bury (H)
Scunny (H)

6 Points + from that lot surely he has to get a go?  Much better than El Pablo Tommy Teacake that no one wants or has heard of. Even Wellens' subs have been intelligent so far and have helped to close games out. To score two goals with ten men shows that RW is no Kelly, Dunn or Robinson. Give the lad a go....

6+ points from 5 games? Setting the bar high I see...

Minimum 10 for me will show that Wellens has turned it around.

and while we're at it, where is Maouche? Isn't time he put in an appearance?

Edited by TheBigDog

The first three games if we get anything I'll be delighted. Bradford I tipped to win the league this year and they took the Dongs apart at weekend and are right in there. Bastard Rovers haven't lost here since '89 and our record at the Dongs is woeful a true bogey ground, 6+ Points is realistic we've struggled so far that's why we're 19th. We've seen big improvements recently but we won't become Real Madrid over night. However with Double D upfront we're a threat against anyone and we'll give all 5 teams a game and knowing Latics there'll be a couple of surprises in there.

And that'll be at least 12 points from 7 games - Play Off form over a season...

Edited by oafcprozac

On 5 October 2017 at 9:53 PM, losesome said:

I turned over after 10min  and watched Scotland. 

More passion and excitement in one game than England manage in a full campaign. 

Perhaps and as a bonus Scottish fans get a football free summer too

Valenciennes have parted company with their manager,  Faruk Hadzibegic, according to yesterday's "La Voix du Nord", and are interested in Pablo correa and Réginald Ray. The problem is that Correa, who has expressed interest in the post at Valenciennes, "appears to have been in England at the weekend, studying other propositions..."

Valenciennes are expected to name their new manager on Thursday at the latest, the day before their home game against Tours.

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/236940/article/2017-10-09/pablo-correa-et-reginald-ray-les-deux-cibles-de-valenciennes

16 hours ago, piglinbland said:

Valenciennes have parted company with their manager,  Faruk Hadzibegic, according to yesterday's "La Voix du Nord", and are interested in Pablo correa and Réginald Ray. The problem is that Correa, who has expressed interest in the post at Valenciennes, "appears to have been in England at the weekend, studying other propositions..."

Valenciennes are expected to name their new manager on Thursday at the latest, the day before their home game against Tours.

http://www.lavoixdunord.fr/236940/article/2017-10-09/pablo-correa-et-reginald-ray-les-deux-cibles-de-valenciennes

Probably now at the situation of Corney saying to Abdallah "so are you buying the club and installing Correa as manager then? Or is the interest over and I'm just installing Wellens?" 

41 minutes ago, AlanGrovesFanClub said:

Sky Sources are as reliable as ones used by the Sun.

As they are owned by the same bloke, they are probably the same sources.

Probably the bookies trying to play on Scholes' Latics Connection as most of us will be taking them to the cleaners on Correa +/- Wellens.

I'll believe Scholes was interviewed when he gets the job.

23 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Sky Sources are as reliable as ones used by the Sun.

As they are owned by the same bloke, they are probably the same sources.

Probably the bookies trying to play on Scholes' Latics Connection as most of us will be taking them to the cleaners on Correa +/- Wellens.

I'll believe Scholes was interviewed when he gets the job.

Such cynicism. It's also on BBC website, guess they've made it up as well?!