Next Oldham Manager?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My suggestion for Corney / new owners / whoever is making the decision:

Wellens to get the job until the end of the season with a 2 year extension based upon achieving a certain standard this season i.e. Top half / 60+ points total / play-offs / whatever they want to set.

If he is successful then they have got a great manager for the future - if he is not they can replace him in the summer OR even pay him off this season at low cost.

2 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

He's been brilliant.

BUT - Devil's advocate. How many caretaker managers get off to a flyer, get the job, fall flat?  My guess is most.

That does occasionally happen but something's different with Wellens and his influence on our club, our players and our team.  He's demonstrated that he's tactically astute, made substitutions effectively, galvanised the team and got the players playing for him and the club.

For me he's come over as one who's genuinely achieving this for the club as well as his own career.  Not only has he spotted our weaknesses on the pitch this season but fully aware of our clubs weaknesses over many seasons.  That's someone who cares about the club; following them when not employed by us, monitoring performances and attending matches too.

I may be premature here but I genuinely feel that if he becomes our next manager and with support from above, we'll be witnessing Oldham Athletic's first manager since the man himself to emulate the achievements of Big Joe.

16 hours ago, Midsblue said:

I may be premature here but I genuinely feel that if he becomes our next manager and with support from above, we'll be witnessing Oldham Athletic's first manager since the man himself to emulate the achievements of Big Joe.

No pressure eh?

Text a mate this afternoon. Whist we're only four games in and i'm not so sure about him emulating Big Joe's achievements, I see little shoots of what Grayson achieved at Blackpool in 06/07. A poor start from Blackpool, they flooded the team with new recruits and it suddenly clicked. A long way to go but these things don't happen by accident. Wellens for me has shown a maturity beyond his coaching experience - rather than being another clipboard clone he's a student of the game. His subs v Peterborough were astute, to do that again with similar affect yesterday is no fluke. He changed the shape of team, he made changes, he knows that when we stand off we're a poor outfit - instead he encourages a high press that works, that enables us to regain possession time and again. I truly haven't seen this since Shez's first season in 06/07 and before that under Dowie. Joe's teams consistently did this - teams that press high up the field that have pace and finishing ability tend to do well. Those that sit back playing tippy happy shit like we've endured for the last 8 or 9 years rarely score goals and lose 1 or 2 nil week after week and Shez's two half season spells apart those teams struggle.*

We're off the pace at the moment but there's still 102 points to play for. The key to our season is securing Wellens, Byrne and Doyle at least until the end of the season. 

19 hours ago, bigfatjoe1 said:

He's been brilliant.

BUT - Devil's advocate. How many caretaker managers get off to a flyer, get the job, fall flat?  My guess is most.

They do but we're four games in and the players are responding still to his changes. Bradford will be tough but get a point at least and we really will be getting giddy. The test is the next couple of weeks we play Tuesday/Saturday for 3 weeks on the trot. There'll be injuries and suspensions and more call ups to come how RW adjusts to those is the key. I would certainly give him a rolling year and reassess in the Summer. He's earned it for me.

2 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

We're off the pace at the moment but there's still 102 points to play for. The key to our season is securing Wellens, Byrne and Doyle at least until the end of the season. 

Can I add Bryan to the list as he seems to have helped Clarke resurrect his spirit and enthusiasm?

30 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Can I add Bryan to the list as he seems to have helped Clarke resurrect his spirit and enthusiasm?

He's slotted in there at the back and provides some real quality, won't get the plaudits but has played a very important part in our turnaround, perfect foil for Clarke and as you say the switch seems to of reignited the Clarke mojo. 

32 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Yeh Bryan at CH was a master move by RW.

He reads the game so well and jumps well, it looks effortless to him.

No coincidence that we also have the old Clarke back playing alongside him.

RW has made a few changes that Shez wouldn't and he is reaping the rewards. 

18 minutes ago, latics22 said:

If those 3 go back in January and we're left with banks green and fane, I will be seriously worried!

Wouldn't be worried at all with Fane as the last few weeks have shown he is the sort of player we need. Players around him not good enough like banks and green. 

Edited by adamoafc

1 hour ago, losesome said:

Yeh Bryan at CH was a master move by RW.

He reads the game so well and jumps well, it looks effortless to him.

No coincidence that we also have the old Clarke back playing alongside him.

RW has made a few changes that Shez wouldn't and he is reaping the rewards. 

Playing a player in his proper position isn't what I would call a master move. It's more a view of how poorly Shez rated Fane that he opted for an out of position Bryan in midfield ahead of him.

4 hours ago, oafcprozac said:

Text a mate this afternoon. Whist we're only four games in and i'm not so sure about him emulating Big Joe's achievements, I see little shoots of what Grayson achieved at Blackpool in 06/07. A poor start from Blackpool, they flooded the team with new recruits and it suddenly clicked. A long way to go but these things don't happen by accident. Wellens for me has shown a maturity beyond his coaching experience - rather than being another clipboard clone he's a student of the game. His subs v Peterborough were astute, to do that again with similar affect yesterday is no fluke. He changed the shape of team, he made changes, he knows that when we stand off we're a poor outfit - instead he encourages a high press that works, that enables us to regain possession time and again. I truly haven't seen this since Shez's first season in 06/07 and before that under Dowie. Joe's teams consistently did this - teams that press high up the field that have pace and finishing ability tend to do well. Those that sit back playing tippy happy shit like we've endured for the last 8 or 9 years rarely score goals and lose 1 or 2 nil week after week and Shez's two half season spells apart those teams struggle.*

This. Bringing Gerrard on sums up the astuteness of Wellens. Not for bringing him on but because of the lag between our goal and the kick-off Gerrard was ready to be brought on before the game had restarted (actually that should be a positive for Gerrard too).

Wellens opted to wait for the ball to go out of play before making the substitution thereby wasting more time. Perhaps it is something that a lot of managers would do, but it showed an astuteness beyond his years to do so in his 4th game.

One point generally omitted from the permutations of the managerial situation is the potential response of the players to change.  

It is like having a complete new team since Wellens took over, rather than three or so introductions and a dramatic change of tactics.  After simply scrapping for survival for years, to driving forward through midfield time after time is awesome.

Whatever is going on behind the scenes it is inconceivable the players will be unaffected by anything other than Wellens remaining in charge of tactics and team selection

It as not been a lucky, scrappy 4 wins on the trot. They have been achieved with planning, style, skill and panache. 

Wellens with anyone he is happy with to apply the same mindset is fine with me. 

49 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

One point generally omitted from the permutations of the managerial situation is the potential response of the players to change.  

It is like having a complete new team since Wellens took over, rather than three or so introductions and a dramatic change of tactics.  After simply scrapping for survival for years, to driving forward through midfield time after time is awesome.

Whatever is going on behind the scenes it is inconceivable the players will be unaffected by anything other than Wellens remaining in charge of tactics and team selection

It as not been a lucky, scrappy 4 wins on the trot. They have been achieved with planning, style, skill and panache. 

Wellens with anyone he is happy with to apply the same mindset is fine with me. 

Got the players to play their hearts out amid late wages too, shows how much he has them on side. 

Some of the foreign recruits must have felt out of it a long way from home when first arriving,  but RW them a break to go back when there were no games.

Early days, but he looks not only a fine coach, but an astute man manager too.

I watched the warm ups and the camaraderie  was excellent. 

The squad now appears to now have a "team spirit' that's been extended to 'fan spirit' with a feel good factor.

Long may it continue.

SC and the prospective new owners will surely not want to lose that?

I get the impression even if we lose games the players will give their best. 

On Saturday if Blackburn had sneaked the late winner I would have still have had hope for the future.  That's the difference these last few weeks have made.

Edited by BP1960

32 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Got the players to play their hearts out amid late wages too, shows how much he has them on side. 

Some of the foreign recruits must have felt out of it a long way from home when first arriving,  but RW them a break to go back when there were no games.

Early days, but he looks not only a fine coach, but an astute man manager too.

I watched the warm ups and the camaraderie  was excellent. 

The squad now appears to now have a "team spirit' that's been extended to 'fan spirit' with a feel good factor.

Long may it continue.

SC and the prospective new owners will surely not want to lose that?

I get the impression even if we lose games the players will give their best. 

On Saturday if Blackburn had sneaked the late winner I would have still have had hope for the future.  That's the difference these last few weeks have made.

The first sentence seems to have been lost in amongst the hubbub. Presumably the players have been paid now?

However, to play like that when their pay was 2 weeks late is a sign of the professionalism of the team Wellens has galvanised.