Carlisle (A)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Unfortunately,  at the moment we are stuck with centre backs who can't climb to head a ball, no matter what you tell them the can't jump any higher.

As for the the others though they can be told to close down quicker and stronger to prevent crosses coming on.

I think in January we may see a couple of tall centre backs brought in who are good in the air.

Bryan I feel could be slotted in at left back or midfield instead of Fane.

Bryan definitely should be playing instead of Fane. He has too much talent to be a stand-in for the CB position. Bryan times his tackles well and has the controlled aggression needed to break up play in midfield but unlike Fane he can make great passes or use the ball himself. 

I don't dislike Fane but just think Bryan is an immense talent that is wasted at CB.

13 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Unfortunately,  at the moment we are stuck with centre backs who can't climb to head a ball, no matter what you tell them the can't jump any higher.

As for the the others though they can be told to close down quicker and stronger to prevent crosses coming on.

I think in January we may see a couple of tall centre backs brought in who are good in the air.

Bryan I feel could be slotted in at left back or midfield instead of Fane.

Bryan for fane in midfield?! Ridiculous suggestion. He hasn’t got half the engine or strength of fane you already have two ball players in Gardner and Byrne you need a rough and ready one in there to steady it out. 

Edited by adamoafc

18 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Bryan for fane in midfield?! Ridiculous suggestion. He hasn’t got half the engine or strength of fane you already have two ball players in Gardner and Byrne you need a rough and ready one in there to steady it out. 

So BP idea is ridiculous?  mmmmmm  I guess we all have opinions and I certainly don't always agree with BP but he sure has some idea on a footballers abilities and I would pause and think before disagreeing with him. In this case, I could not agree with him more.

Bryan is not standing in at centrehalf it's  a position he's recognised as playing, even if he did go back into midfield there's nobody better to step in at centrehalf to do a job, Fane isnt the problem he's had one poor game and again people are looking to replace it's absolutely senseless. 

Edited by yarddog73

54 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Bryan is not standing in at centrehalf it's  a position he's recognised as playing, even if he did go back into midfield there's nobody better to step in at centrehalf to do a job, Fane isnt the problem he's had one poor game and again people are looking to replace it's absolutely senseless. 

Rubbish, the only question is whether Fane is the new Winchester or the new Wesolowski.

Let us all prepare for at least 18 months of exaggerated postings regarding his abilities/ importance to the team!:sleeping:.

3 hours ago, Stagger Lee said:

So BP idea is ridiculous?  mmmmmm  I guess we all have opinions and I certainly don't always agree with BP but he sure has some idea on a footballers abilities and I would pause and think before disagreeing with him. In this case, I could not agree with him more.

I think I’d listen to a player like Dan Gardner who says Fane is the player he likes playing with most out of all the team. Leave Fane where he is and leave Bryan in his actual position. 

Last season was incredible for Clark but I think he needs a rest. I also think Wilson wouldn’t be right next to Bryan - he’s a good player but you need someone there to do the dirty stuff and I see him more of a second CB. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

If Bryan is a recognised cente back why was he played in midfield when he arrived?

Bryan is a far better footballer than Fane, he can tackle and be an ideal link man, his lack of ability to clear crosses won't come into play much as it does at centre back.

RW will change things  to plug the leaking defence and Bryan in front of a back 4 will IMO happen.

Leave Fane where he is, he does the job he's in there for. Let me take everyone back to the dreadful start to the season and remind all what are midfield set up was.

The real reason we are shipping goals to the degree we are is the attacking intent the side is sent out to do. Both full backs whilst room for improvement exists are bombing forward at every opportunity on instruction. This is leaving them open to neglecting their duty of stopping crosses into the box. The first line of defence is snuffing out balls into the box (which currently we aren't), the next line is winning the headers in the danger zone (which currently we aren't), the last line is the keeper.

The solution isn't as simple as changing one or two of the personnel.

22 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

If Bryan is a recognised cente back why was he played in midfield when he arrived?

Bryan is a far better footballer than Fane, he can tackle and be an ideal link man, his lack of ability to clear crosses won't come into play much as it does at centre back.

RW will change things  to plug the leaking defence and Bryan in front of a back 4 will IMO happen.

Because Shez wanted to keep with 2 experienced CBs and Bryan can play in midfield?

From Wiki - 'Bryan began his career at Manchester City at the age of 11, and went on to captain the club's development squad, where he was converted from a box-to-box midfielder into a centre-back.[3]'

1 hour ago, ChaddySmoker said:

Rubbish, the only question is whether Fane is the new Winchester or the new Wesolowski.

Let us all prepare for at least 18 months of exaggerated postings regarding his abilities/ importance to the team!:sleeping:.

He's the new Philliskirk - happy now :aplayer1:

44 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

Because Shez wanted to keep with 2 experienced CBs and Bryan can play in midfield?

From Wiki - 'Bryan began his career at Manchester City at the age of 11, and went on to captain the club's development squad, where he was converted from a box-to-box midfielder into a centre-back.[3]'

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story. 

Back 3?  This risk with an exposed Dummigan is starting to get cause more problems.  And the left wing doesn't seem to be producing as well as it could.

It's not ideal with the personnel we have (ie no recognised left footed left back and a bit of a lack of pace in the back 3), but for tonight I'd try...

Placide

Wilson - Gerrard - Bryan (Back 3, give Clarke a rest)

Dummigan - Hunt (wing backs, maybe Nepomuceno instead of Hunt for more balance)

Byrne - Fane - Gardner (keep this midfield 3 together)

Doyle - Davies (no brainer)

4 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Back 3?  This risk with an exposed Dummigan is starting to get cause more problems.  And the left wing doesn't seem to be producing as well as it could.

It's not ideal with the personnel we have (ie no recognised left footed left back and a bit of a lack of pace in the back 3), but for tonight I'd try...

Placide

Wilson - Gerrard - Bryan (Back 3, give Clarke a rest)

Dummigan - Hunt (wing backs, maybe Nepomuceno instead of Hunt for more balance)

Byrne - Fane - Gardner (keep this midfield 3 together)

Doyle - Davies (no brainer)

This'll do for me too. ?

This notion of "converting" a player...does this mean they lose their ability to play the role they previously played then?

I've seen enough of Bryan to know he's better in midfield than in defence. If we are playing Bryan there to stop the goals going in...it isn't happening. I'd rather see defenders doing that (and in a back 4 now unlike when Gerrard was last in defence) and us benefit more from Bryan being in the middle. 

23 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

This notion of "converting" a player...does this mean they lose their ability to play the role they previously played then?

I've seen enough of Bryan to know he's better in midfield than in defence. If we are playing Bryan there to stop the goals going in...it isn't happening. I'd rather see defenders doing that (and in a back 4 now unlike when Gerrard was last in defence) and us benefit more from Bryan being in the middle. 

I agree with going to a back 4. Settle things down and grind out the results for several games, get confidence back into the squad that they can defend as a unit again and then occasionally go back to the all-out blitzkrieg.  With a back 4 I would definitely move Bryan into midfield.

I certainly feel that playing a back 3 for 90 minutes is asking too much of all the players in the squad.

2 minutes ago, Stagger Lee said:

I agree with going to a back 4. Settle things down and grind out the results for several games, get confidence back into the squad that they can defend as a unit again and then occasionally go back to the all-out blitzkrieg.  With a back 4 I would definitely move Bryan into midfield.

I certainly feel that playing a back 3 for 90 minutes is asking too much of all the players in the squad.

We are playing with back 4 at ze moment.

8 minutes ago, Stagger Lee said:

But we are playing a back 4 now. For me leave Bryan where he is and try Gerrard alongside. Still think we are carrying a passenger in Menig so try Holloway as a front 3 and try to play higher up the pitch. If McLaughlin was fit I would put him in straight away instead of Holloway as Dummighan has been terribly exposed recently thru no fault of his own.

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

My impression was that it was a sliding back 3 - but I will not argue because I only see what the TV shows ( follow the ball), which is not the full story. Those that go to the games can see how the defence/tactics are set much better.

16 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We weren't when we had Clarke and Gerrard getting pulled all over the place though. Bryan went into the defence the very same game we reverted back to a back 4 (Wellens first game). It's not stopped the goals going in. Bryan is wasted in defence IMO and I feel we'd fair better with a defender alongside Clarke once again. Oh...and 2 capable fullbacks. If we are honest, Hunt has been dogshit since he's come back. Shez  had a major headache with him. Kept moving him into other roles as he was costing us at LB and now he's back at LB he's still dropping huge bollocks. Rarely tracks a man. Gives the ball away far too often. At least Dummigan has the excuse that he's no LW infront of him, but Hunt doesn't have that...he's either had Nepu or Menig to aim for. Turning out to be a bad decision to bring him back but I hope he turns it around. I feel we have more hope of solving the defensive conundrum with a flat back 4 with 4 defenders and Bryan in middle though.

Edited by boundaryblue80