Carlisle (A)

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Lags said:

Bryan MOM easily. Can't continue shipping goals so we need to tighten up which may stifle us scoring as many. It's about winning matches and I think had byrne been on the pitch he'd have had a field day against a moderate outfit. 

Yet looking at the goals Bryan missed the ball in the air leading to all 3 goals. 

Clarke can't seem to get his feet off the ground either and this IMO is proving our achilles heel.

We also need to stop crosses and long balls coming in by quicker closing down.

Edited by BP1960

8 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Groan

It's an an observation and opinion. Some don't want to see any wrong. I look at it to as what needs improving.

I'd be surprised if RW isn't aware of these flaws.

Edited by BP1960

32 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Yet looking at the goals Bryan missed the ball in the air leading to all 3 goals. 

Clarke can't seem to get his feet off the ground either and this IMO is proving our achilles heel.

Bryan looked good in other phases of play but as BP says he was at the root of the action for all three goals.

Nevertheless he has generally been excellent during our good run so let's learn and move on.

23 hours ago, latics22 said:

I’ve said it before we have had decent strikers and never scored it not Doyle we need it’s bryne, be bad news if we don’t keep him. All these league one teams going out is a massively missed opportunity ?

We scored two yesterday...

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Agree with this. We are simply not reacting quickly enough to crosses or second balls in the box.

I thought the 1st and 3rd were shocking goals to concede, no defending of any description going on there.

The first results from 2 unchallenged headers in or on the edge of the six yard box, thought Placide might have tried to come and claim once it had been headed back across goal.

The third was again an uncontested header on the edge of the six yard box.

Whatever the level you play at, you will concede goals when giving opponents free headers six yards from goal.

I wanted two up front so that we could get the ball wide and get it into the box. I knew we had deliveries in us and I thought we could outsize and out manoeuvre them from set pieces.

That is the major weakness right there. Just off the top of my head I can think of the 1st and 3rd goals against Scunthorpe, Bury's equaliser, MK Dons Equaliser all came from balls into the box from wide areas that's in just October along with all 3 on saturday.

Something we will have to address  

5 hours ago, Hometownclub said:

I thought the 1st and 3rd were shocking goals to concede, no defending of any description going on there.

The first results from 2 unchallenged headers in or on the edge of the six yard box, thought Placide might have tried to come and claim once it had been headed back across goal.

The third was again an uncontested header on the edge of the six yard box.

Whatever the level you play at, you will concede goals when giving opponents free headers six yards from goal.

Placide came to claim the 3rd one and ended up in no mans land.

3 minutes ago, youngen said:

Placide came to claim the 3rd one and ended up in no mans land.

Think his performances recently say No one will be concerned with him. Players who aren’t performing week after week are the ones I’m bothered about. 

Unfortunately,  at the moment we are stuck with centre backs who can't climb to head a ball, no matter what you tell them the can't jump any higher.

As for the the others though they can be told to close down quicker and stronger to prevent crosses coming on.

I think in January we may see a couple of tall centre backs brought in who are good in the air.

Bryan I feel could be slotted in at left back or midfield instead of Fane.

2 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Unfortunately,  at the moment we are stuck with centre backs who can't climb to head a ball, no matter what you tell them the can't jump any higher.

As for the the others though they can be told to close down quicker and stronger to prevent crosses coming on.

I think in January we may see a couple of tall centre backs brought in who are good in the air.

Sounds like shez was right along....

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Clarke seems to do ok at the other end and Gerrard wins more than his fair share of aerial duels so not sure your point rings entirely true.

Think we are just in one of those spells where teams seem to convert every chance they get against us.

2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Think we are just in one of those spells where teams seem to convert every chance they get against us.

It felt a bit like this on Saturday-they hardly had any ball before the first goal and the third goal. How about pairing Gerrard with Bryan? There may be some criticism of Bryan after Saturday-it was a silly knock out for the corner that led to the goal BUT he was still our best player on the pitch.

Do we have to have these witch hunts after every game now? Thinking of the Scunthorpe/Dummigan discussion. Mistakes happen-we just have to make less of them and field 10 outfield players who want to and can play.

20 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Bryan is costing us goals. As much as anyone else in that defence. Slips at the crucial moment for MK's 4th. Doesn't do enough for Scunny's 1st goal after Hunt loses it. He has to cut that ball out which Ruddy parries (Dummigans man taps home.) As said here, cost us again on Saturday. And yet folk are praising him. I don't get it. The best play Bryan showed on Saturday was a spell when he got forward and was in midfield (leaving his defensive post as we were chasing - fair enough) and was excellent. Showed exactly why he should be in the middle for us. We need to get back to playing defenders in defence. I'd be putting Gerrard or Wilson back in...we were getting carved open at the back when Clarke and Gerrard played in a back 3 but it would be different in a back 4with full backs. Oh and yes, Clarke is making mistakes too. That doesn't escape me. But he is scoring goals and collectively making up for them.

Also, the right wing is a huge issue. Losing McLaughlin like we have has caused us so much imbalance. Dummigan is a very average defender in my eyes. I worry when teams attack him. To be fair, he was exposed on Saturday though and he was also trying to get forward and deliver some crosses. I can't fault his effort. Problem was, his crosses were rarely from threatening positions...tactically, Wellens missed a trick...I thought it was crying out for Wilson to be brought on at RB and push Dummigan forward on that side. He never did.

Agree with some of the other posters comments on Menig and the front 2. Didn't do enough on Saturday.  I've mentioned it a couple of times that Doyle struggles with the physicality of the game sometimes. Holloway gave us fresh impetus on his arrival. We sorely missed Byrne which was a surprise omission thanks to Wigan. And I just wonder if we rushed Placide back too soon. Thought he was very poor for what turned out to be their winner. I've not seen a replay yet though...but he looked all at sea.

Haven't felt as gutted about a loss since probably the last FA cup defeat at Lincoln. I can take the Rotherham 5-1 drubbings as you get chance to put it right in the next game but in the FA cup, you can't. Not for this season anyway. No possible glamour tie to look forward to. And financially, it's important to do well. Feels like another great chance gone. 

Edited by boundaryblue80

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Clarke seems to do ok at the other end and Gerrard wins more than his fair share of aerial duels so not sure your point rings entirely true.

I am talking about clearing crosses, Clarke , Gerrard and Bryan in my observations struggle to rise high, and every opposition club knows it.

9 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

It felt a bit like this on Saturday-they hardly had any ball before the first goal and the third goal. How about pairing Gerrard with Bryan? There may be some criticism of Bryan after Saturday-it was a silly knock out for the corner that led to the goal BUT he was still our best player on the pitch.

Do we have to have these witch hunts after every game now? Thinking of the Scunthorpe/Dummigan discussion. Mistakes happen-we just have to make less of them and field 10 outfield players who want to and can play.

They aren't witch hunts they are observations on the teams flaws and improving them.

If you are happy to carry on with this back four that's your respected opinion. 

4 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

They aren't witch hunts they are observations on the teams flaws and improving them.

If you are happy to carry on with this back four that's your respected opinion. 

With respect think you forget that they are 3rd division footballers, they will make mistakes or not do the right thing at times.

14 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

With respect think you forget that they are 3rd division footballers, they will make mistakes or not do the right thing at times.

Mistakes happen at any level, you will find though RW will expect the repeated errors are cut out.

43 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Haven't felt as gutted about a loss since probably the last FA cup defeat at Lincoln. I can take the Rotherham 5-1 drubbings as you get chance to put it right in the next game but in the FA cup, you can't. Not for this season anyway. No possible glamour tie to look forward to. And financially, it's important to do well. Feels like another great chance gone. 

Perfect summary of how I feel about Saturday. Dreading the draw and seeing Carlisle get a good draw then a mega draw in round 3. 

3 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Perfect summary of how I feel about Saturday. Dreading the draw and seeing Carlisle get a good draw then a mega draw in round 3. 

That’s a bittersweet draw for Carlisle. But they’ll still go there with hope and belief they can make round 3. Which is what it’s all about. I would’ve taken a trip to Gillingham (got a decent recent record there too) to get to round 3. Oh well. 

Edited by boundaryblue80