Rochdale (H)

51 minutes ago, rigsby said:

I dont give a hoot about that..i do give a hoot about the team tho...fane isnt good enough :)

It's a team game, by your reckoning a spoiler like Nobby Stiles shouldn't have been in England's 1966 World Cup winning team.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Mickey Quinn's testicles said:

Just noticed Placide was booked yesterday according to the BBC, I never noticed that at the time. What was it for?

When Gerrard was down getting treatment. Can only assume it was for mouthing off - which seem strange, as he can't speak English. Must have been a voodoo chant. 

21 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

When Gerrard was down getting treatment. Can only assume it was for mouthing off - which seem strange, as he can't speak English. Must have been a voodoo chant. 

He speaks perfect English as a matter of fact. Why have you made that assumption?

3 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm not a big fan of Fane by any stretch, but he's well worthy of his place in the team at the moment...

This is where I am with him, and I agree with an other poster who said if we had a better centre back with pace to replace Bryan then I would replace Fane with Bryan immediately. However the squad is what it is and overall if Fane is the ' worst'  player in the team then the team overall is a very good one.

There is also a bit of Bambi on ice when he runs, that sort of ungainly movement about him, that makes people expect something negative wil happen and when it does peoples expectations are confirmed somewhat unfairly.

I will happily concede that Fane is improving.

1 hour ago, josh_latics said:

Holloway in the programme this week said he doesn't speak much English, and have seen another player say it too, can't remember who. 

Only time I spoke to him, he pronounced everything clearly and spoke well.. 

but fair play not just an assumption you’ve took it from programme ??

8 minutes ago, MAC0AFC said:

I think one of the commentators, perhaps Roy, saying they'd spoken in a mix of bad French and bad English 

12 minutes ago, MAC0AFC said:

I remember Peter Clarke gave the impression after Placide's debut that he couldn't speak English, because he mentioned after full time he said 'magnifique' to Johnny and got a smile and a nod in return.

Then again he probably couldn't understand Peter Clarke trying to talk French.

Edited by bowl

12 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

It had finally got a little bit of spark the last two or three times but went backwards yesterday. 

I just cannot get my head round how so few of a clubs supporters bother to make such a short trip for what, with respect, should be a big game for them given our respective histories, the fact many of them must know or work with Oldham fans.

They've taken decent followings down south in the past when they've been doing well so it's not as if they never take numbers away. So, so bizarre. 

And those that did come were as introverted as the likes of Torquay & MK Dons... 

There was a small pocket of them trying (but failing) to make a bit of noise all game but nobody joined in with them. 

They even made me feel a bit inhibited... Weird cunts :lol:

The way I'd describe them is a non-league mentality - go to game, if you win you win, lose you lose, go home. They're just a bit nondescript.

Their fans must get something different from following them, but not getting a full English and pissed in the Shay Wake before a local (what should be a derby) seems a bizarre thing to miss out on.... 

Since Wellens has taken charge Fane has been excellent at what he does, cover ground, close down and tackle.  Hes not in the team to spread play or hit 40 yrd passes, basically because he struggles to pass it more than 10 yrds.  The yeam works round this clearly by coming short when he wins the ball or breaks up play which works at the minute.

On sat felt the game passed him by as Rochdale went long and down the flanks making Fanes job redundant to an extent (hes better against teams who play on the deck i think), and not by his fault had his poorest game in a while.  

Think the throw in he didnt control took him by suprise as when hes in space the team look reluctant to pass to him.  

Think if he learns to pass and control the ball over time, he will make us a pretty penny,   In this regard he is getting better.  Even at that his role in yhe team at the minute makes him a clear starter.

Bryan could pop into his role if Fane got supended with B. Wilson doing Cb with Clarke/Gerrard.  Be interesting to see his engine, no doubt he can pass a ball.

From what I've seen of the guy on Instagram, he's putting some serious effort in away from training to try and improve himself technically. I think the signs of that work have definitely showed over the last few months, even though he's still got a long way to go.

Fane's passing is much improved and he hits the ball a lot crisper and with conviction now, his only real weakness is passing on the move especially under pressure, as he matures as a player he will find a little more time for himself on the ball and make better decisions but I reckon he will get there, you have to remember he was picked up as a raw prospect from non league and was never touted as the finished article, his criticism at times seems unfair to me but some fans won't take to him because they don't appreciate the job he does, playing alongside Byrne helps him greatly because Byrne always finds them pockets of space where he can receive a ten yard pass making Fane's job easier, Gardner does the same but to a lesser extent, it works well for us and is a small part of our recent success.

Very enjoyable game again with three terrific goals.

Dummigan coming on leaps and bounds now, shame for Gerrard as thought he'd had an effective match, Nepo was good and think there is more to come from him.

Big period coming up, potentially 9 games up to and including Shrewsbury on New Years Day, lots of points to play for and the results might dictate what sort of business we can do in January.

Table since Wellens took over. Playered two fewer games than most teams.

1 Shrewsbury Town 8   3 0 0 7 0   2 2 1 6 5   8 17
2 Wigan Athletic 8   3 1 1 7 2   2 1 0 6 3   8 17
3 Blackburn Rovers 8   3 2 0 9 3   1 1 1 3 1   8 15
4 Charlton Athletic 7   2 1 0 4 2   2 2 0 7 4   5 15
5 Portsmouth 9   3 0 2 7 3   2 0 2 5 7   2 15
6 Oxford United 9   1 2 1 8 6   3 0 2 9 6   5 14
7 Oldham Athletic 7   3 0 1 9 6   1 2 0 7 6   4 14
8 Scunthorpe United 9   2 1 1 5 4   2 1 2 6 6   1 14
9 Fleetwood Town 10   1 2 1 5 5   2 2 2 8 6   2 13
10 Bradford City 9   1 1 3 3 6   3 0 1 8 5   0 13
11 Southend United 8   3 1 0 5 2   1 0 3 2 8   -3 13
12 Gillingham 9   0 3 2 3 5   3 0 1 5 2   1 12
13 Doncaster Rovers 9   2 1 2 8 8   1 1 2 1 3   -2 11
14 Rotherham United 9   2 0 2 5 5   1 2 2 6 9   -3 11
15 Northampton Town 9   1 0 3 1 10   2 2 1 6 5   -8 11
16 AFC Wimbledon 8   1 1 1 3 2   2 0 3 4 6   -1 10
17 MK Dons 9   1 3 1 7 9   1 1 2 4 6   -4 10
18 Bristol Rovers 9   2 0 2 5 5   1 0 4 6 9   -3 9
19 Plymouth Argyle 9   0 2 2 3 8   2 1 2 4 4   -5 9
20 Rochdale 8   1 1 1 3 3   0 4 1 4 6   -2 8
21 Blackpool 8   1 1 2 5 7   1 1 2 3 4   -3 8
22 Walsall 8   0 3 2 4 6   1 1 1 4 3   -1 7
23 Bury 8   2 0 3 6 7   0 1 2 2 4   -3 7
24 Peterborough United 7   1 0 3 2 6   0 1 2 4 6   -6 4

13 hours ago, josh_latics said:

12 hours ago, MAC0AFC said:

He speaks perfect English as a matter of fact. Why have you made that assumption?

12 hours ago, josh_latics said:

Holloway in the programme this week said he doesn't speak much English, and have seen another player say it too, can't remember who. 

11 hours ago, MAC0AFC said:

11 hours ago, leeslover said:

I think one of the commentators, perhaps Roy, saying they'd spoken in a mix of bad French and bad English 

11 hours ago, bowl said:

I remember Peter Clarke gave the impression after Placide's debut that he couldn't speak English, because he mentioned after full time he said 'magnifique' to Johnny and got a smile and a nod in return.

Then again he probably couldn't understand Peter Clarke trying to talk French.

4 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

No he doesn't.

16 minutes ago, MAC0AFC said:

Well, from the conversation I had with him I didn’t come away thinking god I didn’t understand a word of that. 

Sacre Bleu lads!!!

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Fane's passing is much improved and he hits the ball a lot crisper and with conviction now, his only real weakness is passing on the move especially under pressure, as he matures as a player he will find a little more time for himself on the ball and make better decisions but I reckon he will get there, you have to remember he was picked up as a raw prospect from non league and was never touted as the finished article, his criticism at times seems unfair to me but some fans won't take to him because they don't appreciate the job he does, playing alongside Byrne helps him greatly because Byrne always finds them pockets of space where he can receive a ten yard pass making Fane's job easier, Gardner does the same but to a lesser extent, it works well for us and is a small part of our recent success.

Please dont compare Fane with Gardner. Fane needs replacing in the team in January if not before.

The midfield is working as unit Gardner, Fane and Byrne, They all have their individual strengths and weaknesses but they help each other over come them and since they have been picked as a 3 they have worked together superbly and carried the team dominating most games.

Anybody wanting Fane out of the team at the moment because he isn't technically as good as Byrne and Gardner doesnt understand that its not all about the individual and are missing what he brings to the team.

I bet good money that both Gardener and Byrne love playing with Fane as frustrating as he may be a times (his improvement is massive) as he shoulders the burden for them when they don't have or lose possession. His engine alone is immense he never stops running which helps Gardner more than anybody especially in the later stages of games.

Id say that was very obvious if you watch the games but I forget where im posting sometimes :blink:

Edited by palmer1

16 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm not a big fan of Fane by any stretch, but he's well worthy of his place in the team at the moment...

This sums up my view too. He has been another of our "unsung" heroes in Wellens' side, he struggled against Carlisle without Byrne, but otherwise deserving of his spot in the side.