Rochdale (H)

48 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I agree Fane does do a job, and he is a good tackler and has an engine and that has its benefits for the team. He’s just so frustrating when he just can’t pass or shoot. The latter does not matter as much but he has found himself in some shooting positions. He’s a good player to have in the squad tho 

His passing has improved massively since he 1st came. He plays some decent balls into strikers feet. Just because he doesn't spray a ball on a 40 yard diag doesn't mean he isn't contributing positively to an attacking set up. His control isn't actually that bad either just looks very odd most of the time. Can only really remember one miscontrol and one awful pass yesterday 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

His passing has improved massively since he 1st came. He plays some decent balls into strikers feet. Just because he doesn't spray a ball on a 40 yard diag doesn't mean he isn't contributing positively to an attacking set up. His control isn't actually that bad either just looks very odd most of the time. Can only really remember one miscontrol and one awful pass yesterday 

I know he doesn’t have to spray the ball. Though a holding midfield player has the most time and opportunity to do this so it would be ideal, but he can not do it which is fine. But he can’t even play simple balls effectively. I like him, but he just can not pass 

13 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I guess what I’m trying to say is, he’s a good player for a team in the lower half of the table. But if in January there was one area of the pitch I would improve, it would be a replacement for him. Or a new centre half so Bryan could play this role 

The crowds are gradually creeping upwards...around 5000 home fans yesterday which is a 40% increase over the first few games.

If we can get the majority of them back for Wimbledon a 5000+ crowd for a Tuesday night game would be brilliant.

I hope the home support continues to grow on Tuesday night. I love this attacking football it’s a joy to watch after seeing our midfield pass it sideways and backwards for many years, without making any progress . I think all the media should be telling people that we are a good team to watch at the moment. I can’t wait for Tuesday night. Come on you blues. 

4 minutes ago, rigsby said:

because i think he is appalling, he brings us practiaclly nothng.

You don't watch the game then. Gardener runs the show for the first half most games. Admittedly he tires towards the end of the game and becomes less effective but his is just as important in that midfield as anyone else. His work rate is phenomenal and balances fane and Byrne perfectly

Edited by philliggi

8 hours ago, NewBlue said:

Echo what others say on here about Rochdale. Can't hate them because there's nothing to hate. They're a neutral club not looking for rivalries; a non-league club playing in the league.

It's a convenient away trip but you can't muster a rivalry when the support is so disproportionate and they rock up with a thousand fans. Not our fault...

It had finally got a little bit of spark the last two or three times but went backwards yesterday. 

I just cannot get my head round how so few of a clubs supporters bother to make such a short trip for what, with respect, should be a big game for them given our respective histories, the fact many of them must know or work with Oldham fans.

They've taken decent followings down south in the past when they've been doing well so it's not as if they never take numbers away. So, so bizarre. 

And those that did come were as introverted as the likes of Torquay & MK Dons... 

There was a small pocket of them trying (but failing) to make a bit of noise all game but nobody joined in with them. 

They even made me feel a bit inhibited... Weird cunts :lol:

Edited by HarryBosch

3 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Yes Fane. The guy who stops the other team playing and means we can have the luxury of a Byrne out there. 

It's always baffled me down the years this idea that a player who can create, score and entertain is a "luxury".

Why are creative qualities not viewed as more of a necessity than defensive qualities? Surely they are....? 

Proved just a few months ago by Steve Robinson.... 

It's like you're looking at football backwards/upside down.... 

Fane seems to be one of the first names on the team sheet at the moment obviously Richie rates him and the job he does for the team, a very important role that he does very well, if the lad could pass he wouldent be playing at this level, but that is something he can definitely improve over time, his running with ball has got better he can now carry the ball up the pitch which he couldent do before he did create a very good chance yesterday with his direct running and a pass across the box but no one anticipated it, so a good prospect in my eyes, also a very likeable character in the club and amongst the fans puts 110% in every game, he is still young and will only get better !

3 hours ago, rigsby said:

sorry but a midfielder has to be able to pass and/or shoot.

And i'll add control a ball, fane can do absolutely none of the them.

frankly i find it very odd that anyone would want him in the team, oh well.

One other moan, gardner, hes appalling.

Apart from that, we look in good shape.

The manager has chosen these players regularly, I give him the benefit of the doubt over your views.

38 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

It's always baffled me down the years this idea that a player who can create, score and entertain is a "luxury".

Why are creative qualities not viewed as more of a necessity than defensive qualities? Surely they are....? 

Proved just a few months ago by Steve Robinson.... 

It's like you're looking at football backwards/upside down.... 

Having a player that can take care of the ball and more often than not find a blue shirt with it, surely means your team will do less defending as a result.

7 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The manager has chosen these players regularly, I give him the benefit of the doubt over your views.

Correct, Wellens is probably in the top four or five midfielders I've had the pleasure to see at BP as well as carving out a pretty decent career when he left us, he's also had a pretty solid start as a manager so I'm sure he's pretty savvy with what's required and the balance we need, individually Fane and Gardner won't win you many games but you have to look at the bigger picture and even your Real Madrids of this world play a water carrier and a spoiler in that position, relatively speaking it's no different at our level.

4 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

We do have a player who can play 40 yard Hollywood balls, and look where that got us earlier in the season 

and he's now gone on loan to non league 

Fane looks to be doing better now by doing more than passing to the nearest player. It can only knock your confidence to see that someone is always dropping back to offer you a really easy pass, and it pulls the team out of shape as well as slowing it down. He's doing his bit in our good moves now, not usually the killer pass but keeping it progressive. He had one terrible pass yesterday, as did Johnny D.

4 hours ago, rigsby said:

sorry but a midfielder has to be able to pass and/or shoot.

And i'll add control a ball, fane can do absolutely none of the them.

frankly i find it very odd that anyone would want him in the team, oh well.

One other moan, gardner, hes appalling.

Apart from that, we look in good shape.

You pal are talking bollocks. Sounds like a kids comment. Not many players in the league with his engine and defensive capabilities. Let’s the ‘ball players’ do the rest.