Doncaster

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For 30 mins it looked like being a very entertaining end to end game. Then Rowe’s elbows came out and after that they were niggling all game, throwing themselves to the ground, anything to win a free kick. 

They scored then offered nothing so delighted to score and get a point in the end. Thought butler got a soft free kick when Davies went on to score. Horrible side but not surprising with Ferguson in charge. 

Didn't deal with their tactics well so a point in the end will do. 

3 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Ref having a mare by the sounds. Homer, or possibly just incompetent.  Refs are shit at this level.  And as I type goal from a very dodgy free kick by all accounts. 

The only thing dodgy about it was whether Gerard was trying to put him in row z or completely out of the ground?

Slightly disappointed with the result, we need to go on a little bit of a winning run to get us in to the top half, not at our best at all today so take a point and move on, still thought we edged it over the 90 minutes though. Really missed Dummigan’s attacking intent today, hopefully nothing too serious. Agree about Doyle up front on his own, it’s ok to play 1 up front but we can’t hoof it up as much as we did today, bypassed the midfield far too often. I think that could be RW’s preferred formation going forward as 5 in Midfield offers us much more defensive cover, but we also still create a good number of chance, it also give Byrne the freedom he needs, Byrne not at his best today either. Good turnout from Latics fans as usual, looked more than the 850 reported. Terrible trip to Plymouth next week, awful planning from the FL, 2 days before xmas is a bit of a joke. Really could do with a win next week.

I thought we played ok and deserved the point. Could have been 3, superb block on the line from what I thought was Doyle's shot but BBC says nepo. Holloways shot just missing the goal and Doyle and then McLaughlins header. Also although I thought Davies did foul the defender before scoring in injury time some refs might have let it go. Ref was a homer.

I didn't think we lumped it up to Doyle and I am happy with the system we played, I didn't think nepomauceno did enough today and when tope caused problems early on they doubled up on him. I thought we missed Dummigan.

pleased that the manager is prepared to change things we looked more likely with the switch to 3 at the back and this suits Wilson better I feel. Also Bryan then got forward loads down the left. Davies made a difference and our bench is full of options.

listened to radio Sheffeelt on the way home and the 2 Donny callers they had on were complimentary to us although one said he thought we were physical which surprised me as I thought we got a bit bullied at times.

As an aside if you think we ship a few numpties you should listen to Sheffield United fans. Sharp is crap and Wilder needs to go apparently

Last week he had support from midfield whereas today he was isolated. We only looked like creating chances when first Davies and then Holloway came on.

Two up top for me and Byrne needs to play higher up the pitch....he was picking it up off the back four 1st half and totally wasted!

28 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Cant comment on what happened today but we played Doyle upfront on his own last week and won 5-1.

That was a very crap Northampton team who made us look good. Doncaster was always going to be a more difficult proposition.

5 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

That was a very crap Northampton team who made us look good. Doncaster was always going to be a more difficult proposition.

Yes a crap Northampton team that beat Walsall 2-1 today. Problem today was Byrne was playing too far back and not linking up high enough up the pitch. Therefore most things broke down too soon. 

I thought they did a job on us.

Very quick to close us down.  And they mixed it up physically too.

The fact they played to nullify our strengths speaks volumes for what Wellens has done in recent weeks.  But Doncaster did it quite well and I don't think it would have been an injustice if they had held on to the lead.

Nice equaliser.  Two players in the six yard box before it ended up in the net.  I thought we might go on to win it, but credit to Doncaster they had the injury time pressure on us.

McLaughlin got a lot of space when he came on.  Better crossing might have got us maximum points.

Kean Bryan had a magnificent game.

3 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

Yet we played a crap Wimbledon team with 2 uptop and couldnt beat them. I think we will see this 4-2-3-1 a few more times yet. Then again I also think we will see us go back to 4-4-2 at some point and we may see us go 3-5-2 at some point too and both will no doubt bring results.

Its not set in stone which formation or 11 we play this season like it has been in other seasons. We will mix and match and it will be horses for courses we've got a squad rather than just a first 11 like in other seasons and we will see a certain level of rotation. So the likes of Craig Davies and Peter Clarke who have been recently warming the bench will at some point come back into the team.

57 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Yet we played a crap Wimbledon team with 2 uptop and couldnt beat them. I think we will see this 4-2-3-1 a few more times yet. Then again I also think we will see us go back to 4-4-2 at some point and we may see us go 3-5-2 at some point too and both will no doubt bring results.

Its not set in stone which formation or 11 we play this season like it has been in other seasons. We will mix and match and it will be horses for courses we've got a squad rather than just a first 11 like in other seasons and we will see a certain level of rotation. So the likes of Craig Davies and Peter Clarke who have been recently warming the bench will at some point come back into the team.

At this level most teams will struggle with scouting opposition sides more than once, especially with the run up to Xmas and New Year. I'm a big fan of a manager having more than one formation in his tactics. Sides had worked out how to play us with 4-4-2 and only one genuine wide midfielder.

The switch against Northampton seemed to unsettle them, although they were bad. With a long trip to Plymouth coming up, and then 3 more games within 2 weeks. A change in formation to freshen up players wouldn't go amiss.

Think RW might stick with the 4-5-1 against Plymouth but change it for the home games.

3 hours ago, opinions4u said:

Kean Bryan had a magnificent game.

Kean as mustard. Sorry is mustard.

Has everything.

He is the first defender I have seen in a Latics shirt since Barrett and Warhurst who can hook the ball from behind his head, keep it in play and not find an opposing player.

In fact, it would appear that Wellens seems to have instilled this new fangled idea of keeping the ball in play outside of our penalty area at all costs rather than find row Z. It keeps momentum and maintains pressure and demonstrates the confidence that he has in the players' ability to get to the loose ball first. It is a joy to watch.

Edited by L1onheartNew

6 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

Kean as mustard. Sorry is mustard.

Has everything.

He is the first defender I have seen in a Latics shirt since Barrett and Warhurst who can hook the ball from behind his head, keep it in play and not find an opposing player.

In fact, it would appear that Wellens seems to have instilled this new fangled idea of keeping the ball in play outside of our penalty area at all costs rather than find row Z. It keeps momentum and maintains pressure and demonstrates the confidence that he has in the players' ability to get to the loose ball first. It is a joy to watch.

The last sentence says it all. I know it's a results driven business, but, watching your team should be enjoyable not a bleeding chore. 

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

The last sentence says it all. I know it's a results driven business, but, watching your team should be enjoyable not a bleeding chore. 

As I said last week for the first time in a long while my pie is not the highlight of my afternoon. Which was just as well yesterday because who the hell does a puff pastry meat and potato? Only steak and kidney or chicken should be puff. Anything else is short crust.

34 minutes ago, astottie said:

As I said last week for the first time in a long while my pie is not the highlight of my afternoon. Which was just as well yesterday because who the hell does a puff pastry meat and potato? Only steak and kidney or chicken should be puff. Anything else is short crust.

Homophobe

4 hours ago, kev1969 said:

Noticed that Kean gave his shirt to a suppport yesterday that is not a good sign normally..

Well he won’t be going anywhere for at least 3 games so I wouldn’t read too much into it.... yet. But yes, his loan spell ends Jan 1st so then he will leave. 

4 hours ago, kev1969 said:

Noticed that Kean gave his shirt to a suppport yesterday that is not a good sign normally..

He often has mates watching. Think one of them might be a professional gamer.

Obviously he may not have given his shirt to one of his mates.