Peter Clarke - Bury on loan

2 hours ago, Kusunga_Is_God said:

Don't get his training facility moan.

Been mentioned a lot but Bury and MK have some of the best in the division.

Rotherham have (or did- dont know if they upgraded) have one similar to Chapel Road...
Accrington another as well.

Bury used Carrington  I believe.

I wonder how the club managed pre 1980s before we had Chapel Road?

Jimmy Frizzell and Big Joe seemed to cope ok.

27 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Also increasing is the desire to jump on everything he says...

Im one of his biggest fans mate but it can’t be missed he is deflecting blame every where he can... he knew the training facilities were shit - he trained on them and got in to the playoffs doing so. I can’t blame him though- I’d do the same 

3 hours ago, LaticMark said:

"I had no choice but to release Peter Clarke, says manager Richie Wellens."

LATICS boss Richie Wellens says he is not to blame for the lack of defensive cover that threatens to undermine his side’s battle against relegation. He also cited the poor standard of Oldham’s training facilities as a contributing factor to his side’s injury problems.

http://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/16187838.I_had_no_choice_but_to_release_Clarke__says_Wellens/

Totally understand the reasons for letting Clarke go, although a lack of a back up player to Bryan at the end of the window is a much bigger blunder.

Don't agree with his comments about the training ground making that much of a difference. 

I didn't realise that we had our entire first choice back four out for Southend.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

9 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Totally understand the reasons for letting Clarke go, although a lack of a back up player to Bryan at the end of the window is a much bigger blunder.

Don't agree with his comments about the training ground making that much of a difference. 

I didn't realise that we had our entire first choice back four out for Southend.

Despite having 50 players, the defence was woefully short. 

And yes, it hit us hard. 

But it doesn't feel like we have had loads of injuries, or moles worse than any other season. 

Edited by singe

3 hours ago, LaticMark said:

LATICS boss Richie Wellens says he is not to blame for the lack of defensive cover that threatens to undermine his side’s battle against relegation. He also cited the poor standard of Oldham’s training facilities as a contributing factor to his side’s injury problems.

http://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/16187838.I_had_no_choice_but_to_release_Clarke__says_Wellens/

He giving the impression he knows now that he hasn't got the team fired up and focused.

Really hope I am wrong. 

If I was Mr Wellens I'd stop reading social media because essentially he is giving reasons to  the moaning bastards who are going to moan about everything no matter what now.

They don't want reasons, legitimate of not they just want results of a new manager every year. 

The fact that the training ground is shit and along with the pitch has been flooded more than any other time in decades making training properly impossible  means nothing to them. They forget saying  Peter Clarke was finished at this level until we have injuries and then they say he should have kept him,  despite his wage probably bring 2 others which every fan was screaming for in January

6 hours ago, LaticMark said:

With regard to our training facilities, they may not be great...but they never have been.  However, the fact that our current first choice back four is missing is nothing to do with the training facilities.  Dummigan was injured playing for Northern Ireland, Gerrard was injured against Bury, Bryan was injured against Oxford, and Moimbe was sent off against Gillingham.  The training facilities don't come into any play with regard to any of those players not being available.

11 hours ago, oafcmetty said:

Plastic pitch and little Wembley

We didn't have a plastic pitch before 1986 and we still have little Wembley now as far as I know.

Beside that  RW has said he doesn't like training on artificial surfaces.

Edited by BP1960

9 hours ago, Sparkleking said:

With regard to our training facilities, they may not be great...but they never have been.  However, the fact that our current first choice back four is missing is nothing to do with the training facilities.  Dummigan was injured playing for Northern Ireland, Gerrard was injured against Bury, Bryan was injured against Oxford, and Moimbe was sent off against Gillingham.  The training facilities don't come into any play with regard to any of those players not being available.

An insight into the pitch problems, trial games on the main pitch can't have helped..https://www.pitchcare.com/news-media/balancing-oldham-s-needs-with-finance.html

2 hours ago, latics22 said:

Sounds like we spent a fortune on the pitch in the summer! And that weapon wasted the money 

How on Earth do you make that out? It sounds like they did what they could with the resources available to patch over a pitch that was and is ready for the scrapheap. And we obviously didn't spend a fortune on it, hence court this week.

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

We didn't have a plastic pitch before 1986 and we still have little Wembley now as far as I know.

Beside that  RW has said he doesn't like training on artificial surfaces.

But footballers in general were a lot less fit than they are now.  Pushed bodies break more easily.

22 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

But footballers in general were a lot less fit than they are now.  Pushed bodies break more easily.

I saw Stanley Matthews Dave, a fitter footballer you couldnt wish to see.

He played on some energy sapping mudheaps too.

I think it's a myth they are fitter nowadays, one or two in the present Latics team wouldn't have survived in the olden days. Ian Wood for example was fitter than any of this lot.

Just now, BP1960 said:

I think it's a myth they are fitter nowadays, one or two in the present Latics team wouldn't have survived in the olden days. Ian Wood for example was fitter than any of this lot.

There may be the odd exception, in fact I'm sure there is, but in general?  No way.

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Fitter than their peers, possibly. As fit as a modern day footballer at their level, not a chance.

Edited by Magic Mikey