Tonight’s games.

29 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Surely Brian Talbot is in there?

Brian Talbot who kept us up and then beat City in the cup the following season?

No where near as bad as Penney and Robinson...

4 hours ago, JoeP said:

Brian Talbot who kept us up and then beat City in the cup the following season?

No where near as bad as Penney and Robinson...

Kept us up? Dowie performed miracles with that decimated team after Chris Moore’s hack job to keep us out of relegation when he left at Xmas. John Sheridan took over as Caretaker (he’d never managed before) and kept us ahead of the drop zone until (experienced) Talbot took over us in 18th place in mid March. He merely steered Dowies ship safely home. Then he got given a bit of free reign to sign players and brought in a huge bag of shit like Deane Crowe and David Lee. Had one of the best budgets TTA gave went to Talbot and he massively blew it. Yes we beat Citeh in a one-off game. The heroes that day were Vernon and Eyres. Not Talbot. THAT Talbot. 

Edited by boundaryblue80

36 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Kept us up? Dowie performed miracles with that decimated team after Chris Moore’s hack job to keep us out of relegation when he left at Xmas. John Sheridan took over as Caretaker (he’d never managed before) and kept us ahead of the drop zone until (experienced) Talbot took over us in 18th place in mid March. He merely steered Dowies ship safely home. Then he got given a bit of free reign to sign players and brought in a huge bag of shit like Deane Crowe and David Lee. Had one of the best budgets TTA gave went to Talbot and he massively blew it. Yes we beat Citeh in a one-off game. The heroes that day were Vernon and Eyres. Not Talbot. THAT Talbot. 

Dont agree he was given the best budget - Ronnie Moore was and Sheridan got his squad to the play offs.

Talbot was given a very average budget unless you genuinely think Dean Crowe was raking in the £££

43 minutes ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Meh. 

For even just his involvement in the Swindon away game when we guaranteed survival (the atmosphere our fans created was particularly memorable..) and the City game he deserves more credit than Robinson and Penney, in my opinion..

Talbot did have a decent budget, admittedly a lot of it was tied up on flops from the Moore era, Killen, Appleby etc. I’m pretty sure Corney said we had a large wage bill at the time when Talbot walked having said he couldn’t turn it around.

21 hours ago, johnafoafc said:

Talbot did have a decent budget, admittedly a lot of it was tied up on flops from the Moore era, Killen, Appleby etc. I’m pretty sure Corney said we had a large wage bill at the time when Talbot walked having said he couldn’t turn it around.

I don't know about walked, but wasn't it the 5-0 pasting at Bristol City that did for him. A freezing cold night and probably the worst football I've ever seen from a Latics team since about 1954.

I seen to remember Talbot making some gestures towards us as we were singing "Talbot out".

10 minutes ago, Bristolatic said:

I don't know about walked, but wasn't it the 5-0 pasting at Bristol City that did for him. A freezing cold night and probably the worst football I've ever seen from a Latics team since about 1954.

I seen to remember Talbot making some gestures towards us as we were singing "Talbot out".

Recall shouting wtf is going on Talbot what are you going to do to change things around to which he replied fuck off what’s it got to do with you ,,,,

Talbot is better than Kelly Dunn Penney and Robinson in the shit stakes we did occasionally play good football under him we won about 7-8 on the spin in Nov 2005 he kept us up at the back end of 03-04 and we beat city. He wasnt given the clean slate that Moore was given. However had he been given more time he would have taken us down so he had to go when he did. 

Our TTA era permanent manager league table

1. John Sheridan

2. Lee Johnson

3. Ronnie Moore

4. Paul Dickov

5. Brian Talbot

6. Steve Robinson

7. Dave Penney

8. David Dunn

9. Darren Kelly

55 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Talbot is better than Kelly Dunn Penney and Robinson in the shit stakes we did occasionally play good football under him we won about 7-8 on the spin in Nov 2005 he kept us up at the back end of 03-04 and we beat city. He wasnt given the clean slate that Moore was given. However had he been given more time he would have taken us down so he had to go when he did. 

1. John Sheridan

2. Lee Johnson

3. Ronnie Moore

4. Paul Dickov

5. Brian Talbot

6. Steve Robinson

7. Dave Penney

8. David Dunn

9. Darren Kelly

I think that league is spot on. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

1. John Sheridan

2. Lee Johnson

3. Ronnie Moore

4. Paul Dickov

5. Brian Talbot

6. Steve Robinson

7. Dave Penney

8. David Dunn

9. Darren Kelly

What about our Richie?

i’d currently put him at number 3

Edited by stevesidg

4 hours ago, Bristolatic said:

I’d forgotten about that midweek thumping but yes he was sacked, left by mutual consent whatever after that shambles. We lost against a Delroy Facey inspired Huddersfield in the next game under TP as caretaker with Ronnie watching from the stands.  I remember Talbot coming out with some bizarre comments near the end of his reign like maybe it’d have better if we’d have been relegated as he’d have had a clean slate to work with. But we would still have been saddled with high earning deadwood from the Moore era.

I’d say out of that list Talbot definitely had at least the second highest budget, although as I’ve said it was tied up on overpaid deadwood.

We were told at the hugely attended fans meeting in summer 2005 (when they opened up the rocky road end and had a stage on the pitch) that Ronnie would be given a larger budget if we were prepared to pay more for season tickets. I remember having a bit of a buzz after that forum as I thought we’d have another genuine crack at promotion (I know we did under shez the season after) but we gave up after that. Didn’t think 13yrs later we’d still be limping along in league one.

Edited by johnafoafc

7 hours ago, stevesidg said:

What about our Richie?

i’d currently put him at number 3

Wouldnt want to judge where Richie stands just yet we cant really do that until the end of his tenure whenever that maybe. So I intentionally left him out.

7 hours ago, boundaryblue80 said:

Midweek thumping at Bristol after a shocking Home defeat to Stockport 3 days earlier. It seems people forget about budgets when ranking the managers. 

Yes those results were why he had to be sacked, however I took budgets very much into account when compiling the list, which is why Dickov is above Talbot, why Robinson is above Penney and why Johnson is above Moore.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, latics22 said:

Shows the shite we have had if u have dickov 4th! Personally I think robbo had a serious shit sandwich and in other circumstances, would have been decent.

The man's lucky to still be in professional football after signing - and continually playing - Jamie Reckord. 

14 minutes ago, josh_latics said:

The man's lucky to still be in professional football after signing - and continually playing - Jamie Reckord. 

As a side note, I really felt for the little kid at last season's final game at Wimbledon wearing a Latics shirt with "Reckord 3" on the back. 

No child should be treated like that.

2 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Wouldnt want to judge where Richie stands just yet we cant really do that until the end of his tenure whenever that maybe. So I intentionally left him out.

Yes those results were why he had to be sacked, however I took budgets very much into account when compiling the list, which is why Dickov is above Talbot, why Robinson is above Penney and why Johnson is above Moore.

Lee Johnson had a far better budget than most other managers due to reaping the rewards of Dickovs cup exploits & also facing Liverpool again under his watch. Robinson should be bottom. He came with enough experience to do the job and failed miserably. Kelly and Dunn can be only slightly forgiven due to being given a position they shouldn't have been.

For what it's worth, here's my list that most probably won't agree with :lol:

1. John Sheridan - Legend

2. Ronnie Moore - Did what was asked, both seasons but still upset poor mites. Built a decent side and would've got us up the next season.

3. Paul Dickov - Rookie fed an absolute shit sandwich, undermined constantly, backroom staff sacked trying to make him walk, yet always pulled us away from trouble with important wins when needed. Shit on.

4. Lee Johnson - Marmite manager. Bingo bullshit. Rookie that enjoyed better budget than most others. Nibbled at playoffs on occasion but often tinkered with what worked till it didn't. Ched Evans farce. Yeovil 4-0, MK Scum 7-0 defeats.

5. Dave Penney - 1st manager that IMO had players signed for him by Corney...coincided with a time where several Jewish players were signed (no issue on their religion, I'd say the same if we had an influx of any religion.) Started alright, up in playoff spots in October. Winter hit (5 weeks without a game), injuries bit.

6. Brian Talbot - Experienced but failed miserably with decent budget. Arrived after miracle work from Dowie & Shez after Chris Moore pull out and saw the ship home that season. Went on to produce awful relegation football on decent money.

7. Darren Kelly - Should never had got the job but was a dead man walking from the start. Hindered at every turn. Set up the season around Jake Cassidy who got injured in game 1. End was inevitable before a ball kicked.

8. David Dunn - Utterly clueless rookie. Insisted on playing the worst keeper the club has had in my time. Went about slating players publically constantly.

9. Steve Robinson - Utterly clueless more experienced manager. Little budget but insisted on playing a style of football from the dark ages. We could not score. Not even fluke a goal. For weeks on end. And he went about constantly telling the players they'd be replaced with a cup run. Team was sinking without trace while being "the best team out of possession."

1. John Sheridan

2. Ronnie Moore

3. Paul Dickov

4. Lee Johnson

5. Dave Penney

6. Brian Talbot

7. Darren Kelly

8. Steve Robinson

9. David Dunn

Lots of people say we were going down under Dave Penney..... he left with a game to go and we were 5 points clear of the drop.

Edited by pukka

Well,at least we all agree on Shez! and I feel in  due  course RW will be up there.

Worst for me and in no particular order are Penney,Robinson,Dunn and Kelly albeit SR seems to be OK at Motherwell.

12 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Could go back up in the playoffs though

They have little chance now.Used to have some great times at York especially the 1-1 draw with Maaaauuurrreeeeccceees tremendous free kick.Bet not many on here remember that one.Also interesting to see how many former league teams are in that division eg Southport,Stockport,Darlington (what  a dump their old ground was).

1 hour ago, Flemboy said:

They have little chance now.Used to have some great times at York especially the 1-1 draw with Maaaauuurrreeeeccceees tremendous free kick.Bet not many on here remember that one.Also interesting to see how many former league teams are in that division eg Southport,Stockport,Darlington (what  a dump their old ground was).

Only went to Darlington once , can’t remember when but possibly early 70’s. seem to remember it backed on to a cricket ground?