Gillingam (h)

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

I didn't say they weren't, pinpointing McEleney for softness in particular, Fane does show desire, but after a yellow card he can't do the job he's in the team for. 

Moimbe has bags of determination as does Gerrard. 

I question though no matter how talented Byrne appears he was half hearted in some challenges and I can see why RW dropped him recently and may well do so again. 

In a relegation battle you need grit and determination from every player IMO. 

Well, you did, thats why I quoted you ?

I don’t agree you need a team full of grit, it is about finding a balance of both and I believe that yesterday we did. Without the crooked interventions of the ref we all feel different right now.

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Well, you did, thats why I quoted you ?

I don’t agree you need a team full of grit, it is about finding a balance of both and I believe that yesterday we did. Without the crooked interventions of the ref we all feel different right now.

You also need a decent shape, which we don't have. Bryne in a free role behind the striker is the only position he can play unless RW went 3-5-2, which he won't.

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Yesterday I would pretty much have picked what RW picked.

Wellens soon realised he got it wrong and put Nazon out wide. Nazon offered decent protection to Hunt too.

Bryne did lay some great balls on a plate fot Doyle its his all round contribution and attitude that I'm questioning. 

Edited by welshgaz

Jonny, Gardner, Edmundson and Duckens played well.

Would rather have Byrne than not - he's always likely to create something.  Anger is an energy, but he just needs to channel it correctly..

Doyle wasn't allowed to get involved due to being asked to compete against the entire defence virtually on his own.

Gills, on the beach or otherwise, were better than us and possibly even wanted it more.  If we play like that in our next two games we'll go down.

That said, it was ultimately the referee that cost us.  What happened at half-time that made him suddenly want to be the centre of attention?  The penalty could be one of the most costly decisions in the club's history.  Gillingham's player didn't even appeal for it, which I think is telling...

52 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

Wellens soon realised he got it wrong and put Nazon out wide. Nazon offered decent protection to Hunt too.

Bryne did lay some great balls on a plate fot Doyle its his all round contribution and attitude that I'm questioning. 

We were defensively stable enough with him in the side and he created enough chances for us to win the match by a few goals.

I’m not sure why you would drop him in that case, just because somebody who can’t feed the strikers may run about a little bit more.

3 minutes ago, oafc21 said:

Eaves sounds like a right knobhead.

You didn't get any sort of reception because no one at Latics remembers a single thing about you, other than you made us a couple of quid.  No one's questioning where your loyalties lie because no one cares.

16 minutes ago, oafc21 said:

What a prick. He'll get a special welcome from me next time he comes to BP.

I haven't seen any TV coverage yet. Does anything show the incident. Without that I don't see what grounds we can have to appeal.

14 hours ago, Ryan said:

You’ll be very disappointed. Both Dale and Wimbledon seem up for the fight and are winning the type of games we’re drawing/losing. Would take 2 draws.

So would I. I see us drawing those 2 and Southend and Doncaster as well, before finishing in style with a scrappy win at Northampton. That takes us to 53 points and safety by 1 point.

What could possibly go wrong?

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Jonny, Gardner, Edmundson and Duckens played well.

Would rather have Byrne than not - he's always likely to create something.  Anger is an energy, but he just needs to channel it correctly..

Doyle wasn't allowed to get involved due to being asked to compete against the entire defence virtually on his own.

Gills, on the beach or otherwise, were better than us and possibly even wanted it more.  If we play like that in our next two games we'll go down.

That said, it was ultimately the referee that cost us.  What happened at half-time that made him suddenly want to be the centre of attention?  The penalty could be one of the most costly decisions in the club's history.  Gillingham's player didn't even appeal for it, which I think is telling...

Can agree with it all apart from the last paragraph. The ref didn't cost us, we lost two points all by ourselves.

It was the assistant ref that saw the incident and obviously felt that it warranted punishment so the ref can only go of what he gets told. That the offence is something as lame as hair pulling only makes it more unprofessional from our perspective. All that is if you think the incident was absolutely pivotal in deciding the result when, as you allude to, or performance in the previous ninety minutes just wasn't good enough. 

Edited by Twisbrogan

1 hour ago, NewBlue said:

We were defensively stable enough with him in the side and he created enough chances for us to win the match by a few goals.

I’m not sure why you would drop him in that case, just because somebody who can’t feed the strikers may run about a little bit more.

Nazon can go one more, score and still offer some shape. 

You will always struggle to win a game of football without a decent shape. Relegation battle or not.

2 hours ago, oafc21 said:

Welcome reception???? Ye gods he stepped up the first team in one pre match, scored 3 goals and we cashed him in.

same match that saw the end of Ryan Brooke's career,  shame it wasn't in reverse and yes that's me being nasty.

Delusions of grandure or what.

lets not mention the state of Gerrards shirt now...how the hell was it that badly torn.

32 minutes ago, underdog said:

same match that saw the end of Ryan Brooke's career,  shame it wasn't in reverse and yes that's me being nasty. Brooke was the PNE game

Delusions of grandure or what. Definitely, 15 sub appearances according to soccerbase. Zero goals. 

lets not mention the state of Gerrards shirt now...how the hell was it that badly torn. Think Gerrard did that himself when ref gave pen to them

1 minute ago, NewBlue said:

But he refuses to pass the ball

He's a very selfish player. At one point in the second half he had space to run into down the right. Byrne had the ball and pointed where to run, instead he stood still wanting a ball to feet. It's a solo effort or nothing with him. We aren't going to get the best out of Doyle pairing him with the Duck.