If we go down, would you keep Wellens?  

190 members have voted

1. 1. If we go down, would you keep Wellens?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, singe said:

In the para you argue there is no evidence to prove it was RW, but there is plenty of circumstantial ( as well as rumour) , he has the most to benefit from the article.

Can’t see how he could possibly benefit. A pay off? Unlikely to be sizeable enough to be worthwhile. 

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Can’t see how he could possibly benefit. A pay off? Unlikely to be sizeable enough to be worthwhile. 

His reputation. Excuses in early if you like. Although it was rumoured that he knew he was on his way, after the season it is fair to think there was a significant  chance he would be sacked. The blame was clearly being apportioned.

26 minutes ago, bozman said:

http://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/16318438.former-latics-boss-targets-return-to-football/

"Wellens, who wouldn’t be drawn on the exact details of how his sacking came about due to a privacy agreement, added: “It was a shock, but you move on. "

“When I was left to deal with things on my own, I thought I was doing alright."

4 minutes ago, JoeP said:

“When I was left to deal with things on my own, I thought I was doing alright."

"I thought I were great!"

Going to have that line from Rita, Sue & Bob Too stuck in my head for the rest of the day now.

22 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

There's a veiled dig in here if you wish to pay it attention;

"It was the right time for us to part ways and for me to move on to the next step of my managerial career. I have learned a great deal from the experience and hope to find a role with a club that matches my ambition and believes in a long-term project; to develop players, a club identity and a playing philosophy."

Thought exactly the same - I loved him as a player and was 100% behind him for the majority of last season but he’s shown himself to be a bit of a twat in my opinion 

21 hours ago, lookersstandandy said:

Yep, like deyeres says above, Abdallah's absence from the statement is telling.....

While he undoubtedly lost his way during the run in.... I was initially really impressed with the freshness of Wellens' early interviews..... while not the most sesquipedalian of orators, I found his communication skills clear, concise and thought provoking. Similar to Lee Johnson in many ways.

I also appreciate some people's view that he was a little too quick to offer an opinion.... and some suspect he may have been leaking information to the Press.

However, my initial gut reaction to being impressed with him, still leaves me concerned that the main problem(s) he encountered were not of his own doing.... and may still be an influence this coming season.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but Lemsagam worries me to death. I'd still like to hear about his motivations and his Plans.

There may well be other significant issues behind the scenes.  However, Wellens enjoyed a new manager 'bump' that got him the job but I didn't see any signs there's a good manager in him.

I don’t get why Wellens gets any credit from some on here. His record after that initial burst was absolutely woeful.  He comes out of the situation with zero credit for me. He has a hell of a lot to learn about his demeanour and communication.  Good leadership rarely (never) includes adopting a constant blame and excuse culture typically in a confrontational tone. Scally.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

He didn’t win a game in the last 12 did he? Wellens really making out he was badly done to. 

Just Blackpool I think.

How did we allow Rochdale to finish 2 points above us when this was the table in early March? Whilst I’m sure it didn’t help, I fail to see how events in January (regarding the takeover) can be pinned on our decline from this position with 12 games left...

C32885BB-5265-456F-97E6-8E438A0EB043.jpeg

29 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

I don’t get why Wellens gets any credit from some on here. His record after that initial burst was absolutely woeful.  He comes out of the situation with zero credit for me. He has a hell of a lot to learn about his demeanour and communication.  Good leadership rarely (never) includes adopting a constant blame and excuse culture typically in a confrontational tone. Scally.

When a manager starts to criticise his own players in public it means he has lost the dressing room and players will no longer get motivated. This is what he did and from that day onward things went down hill. A good manager Mr Wellens keeps things in house and does not go public to all and sundry. You where brought up with Mr Ferguson so you should have known better. I hope you have learned your lesson but doubt it. 

20 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Just Blackpool I think.

How did we allow Rochdale to finish 2 points above us when this was the table in early March? Whilst I’m sure it didn’t help, I fail to see how events in January (regarding the takeover) can be pinned on our decline from this position with 12 games left...

C32885BB-5265-456F-97E6-8E438A0EB043.jpeg

This was it for me.

After this W1, D8 L3
If was not the defeats. Bury and Gillingham alone dropped 4 pts in the last 5 mins.

29 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

January embargo/takeover.

Big divisions in the dressing room.

Star striker out of action for months.

Those factors can't just be dismissed.

1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

January embargo/takeover.

Big divisions in the dressing room.

Star striker out of action for months.

Those factors can't just be dismissed.

No they can’t. His rank amateurism on the touchline, in front of the camera and behind the scenes and his bewildering team selections/omissions can’t either. He was a disaster. Glad he’s gone. 

Some people here will never blame the manager when he is ‘one of ours’ and readily blame some rich bloke, particularly if he is conveniently foreign... I think it’s an envy thing. 

5 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

No they can’t be dismissed but the big divisions in the dressing room where caused by Wellens continuing to criticise some players in public. You don’t do that if you are a good manager.

I think the future owner adding a number of foreign players to the squad on inflated wages might have been a bigger cause...

13 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I think the future owner adding a number of foreign players to the squad on inflated wages might have been a bigger cause...

Can’t disagree with you on that being a cause either. Lots of factors made it an arsehole of a season. 

17 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Nah. Minor issue. If you are a bad manager you are a bad manager. Wellens is a bad manager. You’ll see, if someone is crazy enough to give him another go. 

1 minute ago, kowenicki said:

Nah. Minor issue. If you are a bad manager you are a bad manager. Wellens is a bad manager. You’ll see, if someone is crazy enough to give him another go. 

Sample size is too small to determine either way in my opinion.

15 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

13 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Sample size is too small to determine either way in my opinion.

RW has Dunne traits who is he managing now??