Squad movements, summer 2018

On ‎18‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 8:37 PM, Fruitygoo said:

No loss at all... The odd camera save that came off but far to often beaten easily or pushed straight forward saves out in front of goal. More solid keepers with less flair are surley available. 

Various Latics managers have brought in "solid" keepers who, for no other reason, are playing at this level because this is their level and they have still turned out to be rubbish........if they were halfway decent, they wouldn't be available.

When Placide started with Wellens, and we went on a good run, plenty of people on here were happy with the "let's score more than the opposition" approach but has Nash had an input and affected his mentality? Because, let's think about it, Nash didn't do a great deal to help the two preceding kids get over their nerves. Or maybe they were just crap and no coaching would help.

19 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

Various Latics managers have brought in "solid" keepers who, for no other reason, are playing at this level because this is their level and they have still turned out to be rubbish........if they were halfway decent, they wouldn't be available.

When Placide started with Wellens, and we went on a good run, plenty of people on here were happy with the "let's score more than the opposition" approach but has Nash had an input and affected his mentality? Because, let's think about it, Nash didn't do a great deal to help the two preceding kids get over their nerves. Or maybe they were just crap and no coaching would help.

Didn't do a bad job bringing Ripley on by all accounts, you can't blame Nash for having to work with three duffers last season.

You can't make silk purses out of pigs ears.

Edited by yarddog73

11 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Didn't do a bad job bringing Ripley on by all accounts, you can't blame Nash for having to work with three duffers last season.

You can't make silk purses out of pigs ears.

I have no idea who was responsible for bringing Ripley in but in so I'll take on board what you say.

But are you saying Johnny was as bad as the other two?

33 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

I don’t think Ruddy or Wilson were very good to be honest. Johnny is a flamboyant keeper, pretty good with both feet, but I don’t think he’s very good either to be honest. Better than the other two though for sure. Can’t really blame Nash if the defence is giving the goalkeeper too much to do, and I think Johnny was left exposed too often by just bad defending. Maybe a defensive coach would be a good appointment.

Going back to Nash though if you are placing a direct parallel between how each goalkeeper performs to the ability of the goalkeeping coach then you would have to say that he did a cracking job with Connor Ripley. I’d look at getting him back to Boundary Park if at all possible.

8 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

I have no idea who was responsible for bringing Ripley in but in so I'll take on board what you say.

But are you saying Johnny was as bad as the other two?

No I think Johnny is the better of the three but Shez was right in his assessment when he said he wasn't a bad No 2, he should never have been first choice in my opinion and wasn't what we needed, just because he is slightly better than the other two still doesn't make him a competent keeper.

3 minutes ago, Gary1906 said:

I don’t think Ruddy or Wilson were very good to be honest. Johnny is a flamboyant keeper, pretty good with both feet, but I don’t think he’s very good either to be honest. Better than the other two though for sure. Can’t really blame Nash if the defence is giving the goalkeeper too much to do, and I think Johnny was left exposed too often by just bad defending. Maybe a defensive coach would be a good appointment.

Going back to Nash though if you are placing a direct parallel between how each goalkeeper performs to the ability of the goalkeeping coach then you would have to say that he did a cracking job with Connor Ripley. I’d look at getting him back to Boundary Park if at all possible.

But did he improve Ripley or was he at a good level when he turned up? I can't answer that question.

My opinion is that Nash made no improvements with Ruddy or Wilson but Placide went slightly backwards.

35 minutes ago, mikejh45 said:

But did he improve Ripley or was he at a good level when he turned up? I can't answer that question.

My opinion is that Nash made no improvements with Ruddy or Wilson but Placide went slightly backwards.

Maybe it was a case of Ripley being really good, but you’d have to say that he didn’t carry that form into playing for Burton or Bury especially.

9 minutes ago, Stainrod said:

Can't imagine Ripley's stock has risen whilst at Burton and Bury, in fact it will have fallen, time for a fresh approach?

Without a doubt.  

1 clean sheet in just 21 appearances in the last 12 months

Spent the first half of the season (and last few weeks) warming the bench (at Bury!!)

On 20/05/2018 at 1:45 AM, JoeP said:

Is he?  Genuine question.

I've see him and Gardner play dozens of times yet still couldn't give anyone an assessment of whether they're any good or not.

Do Bradford want Dummigan on the back of the goal he scored against them?  And Gardner doesn't tackle, score and can't play out wide so what does he bring to the table?

Dummigan is class going forwards, admittedly not the best defensively but we missed him badly last season after he got injured. Retains possession well, is skilful and gets up and down the line well. 

He he would be a big miss if he goes and we wouldn’t replace him with anyone as good

25 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Dummigan is class going forwards, admittedly not the best defensively but we missed him badly last season after he got injured. Retains possession well, is skilful and gets up and down the line well. 

He he would be a big miss if he goes and we wouldn’t replace him with anyone as good

Unfortunately class seems to get mistaken with being busy. He goes forward a lot and is an option more often than not. But his crossing ability is poor and besides 1 wondr hit vs Bradford I cant remember him actually doing anything of note going forward in 2 years. 

9 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Without a doubt.  

1 clean sheet in just 21 appearances in the last 12 months

Spent the first half of the season (and last few weeks) warming the bench (at Bury!!)

He shipped more goals last season than Placide and had fewer clean sheets per rata of games that they both played.

16 hours ago, al_bro said:

If we bounce back up then decent L2 players won't be good enough for L1. We need decent L1 players so that we don't have to offload them next season.

....He (Lemsagam) or they (Lemsagam & Wellens) - however you look at it - failed to get decent L1 players in when we were in L1, what makes you think they will now?

1 hour ago, lookersstandandy said:

....He (Lemsagam) or they (Lemsagam & Wellens) - however you look at it - failed to get decent L1 players in when we were in L1, what makes you think they will now?

I for one hope they will have more of a chance without being under one embargo or another as they were for last season for huge chunks of both transfer windows. Also i am hoping they won't have to spend massive amounts of funds and time sorting out the mess Corney left behind this time round. Here's hoping.

35 minutes ago, oafc1000 said:

I for one hope they will have more of a chance without being under one embargo or another as they were for last season for huge chunks of both transfer windows. Also i am hoping they won't have to spend massive amounts of funds and time sorting out the mess Corney left behind this time round. Here's hoping.

....me too.... but you can't blame transfer embargo's and Corney's mess on the signing of Maouche, Omrani, Benyu..... and arguably Placide, Kyeremeh, Duffus, Zeus & Benteke. One could argue that Gevaro, Moimbe, Nazon, Pringle & McEleney did little to improve us. This is a large chunk of last season's efforts at recruitment. They [Lesmagam and Wellens] will have to do a lot better than that.

Edited by lookersstandandy

I think it will be a season of consolidation.  Play-off hopes are a bit too optimistic. 

We have a fractured camp, no real statement of intent and we'll lack the players. 

One season of mid-table shitness, get a squad in place, and go again for the season after..  

13 hours ago, samgoafc said:

From @dan_taylor12 on Twitter: Heard that we’re in talks with Michael Nottingham from Salford; also in talks with Blackpool and Fylde #oafc

Just signed with Blackpool 

14 hours ago, samgoafc said:

From @dan_taylor12 on Twitter: Heard that we’re in talks with Michael Nottingham from Salford; also in talks with Blackpool and Fylde #oafc

42 minutes ago, Fervid said:

Just signed with Blackpool 

"Hello Michael, It's Oldham , here. We'd like to sign you.."

*Click.*

Our new reality.

Edited by singe