Squad movements, summer 2018

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Get the business done early then have a holiday, don't leave it late like last years goalkeeper shambles.

Come on, be realistic. I think you're being unfair on Wellens here (and I'm not his biggest fan after what happened) - most of the players are on holiday too. Have 1/2 weeks off then we have over 2 months to sign players.

It's this perpetuation of unrealistic expectations that have people worried as we haven't signed people immediately after the season finishes (while players are still under contract and will be re-negotiating with their clubs too).

Edited by jorvik_latic

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

I doubt they'll really meet up in person till the actual signing of contracts and stuff these days. Can't imagine anyone is negotiating a full deal face to face these days very often 

I'd imagine most parts of the contract will be pretty standard these days. Even PFA approved. Obviously bits on slary and bonus will be changed and all that image rights crap for the Prem stars but most will be standard I'm sure so all they need to know is the money. I'd imagine *most* times they meet up "interview" wise and that's it.

* We know what happens when they don't meet. And the interview is unlikely to be formal, more a chat!

Being unfair there, BP. I have no doubt he will be on his phone every day speaking to players, even though he is on holiday. He is a husband and a father before he is a football manager. Cut him some slack and let him have a break with his family (and I am the ringleader of the "Wellens Out" brigade)...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Being unfair there, BP. I have no doubt he will be on his phone every day speaking to players, even though he is on holiday. He is a husband and a father before he is a football manager. Cut him some slack and let him have a break with his family (and I am the ringleader of the "Wellens Out" brigade)...

You know me, I do go for a reaction..even if I don't believe my own posts myself.

I must curb this tendancy.:unsure:.

4 hours ago, jorvik_latic said:

Come on, be realistic. I think you're being unfair on Wellens here (and I'm not his biggest fan after what happened) - most of the players are on holiday too. Have 1/2 weeks off then we have over 2 months to sign players.

It's this perpetuation of unrealistic expectations that have people worried as we haven't signed people immediately after the season finishes (while players are still under contract and will be re-negotiating with their clubs too).

Agreed.

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 9:23 AM, BP1960 said:

Get the business done early then have a holiday, don't leave it late like last years goalkeeper shambles.

The season finished last week! Bury did all there business early last year...how much better did that work out for them?

Just now, palmer1 said:

The season finished last week! Bury did all there business early last year...how much better did that work out for them?

And technically we already have enough of a squad signed up to put out a team. Needs improvement, but it's not like the year we had nobody for weeks.

• Like 1

On 14/05/2018 at 8:33 PM, oafcmetty said:

Believe Chelsea were interested in him earlier in the season, but Wellens knocked them back.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I find it hard to imagine Wellens would have any say if Chelsea came in.

On 5/16/2018 at 9:46 AM, singe said:

8 transfers only so far, including Paul Green which I don't think was one really as he was a  free agent.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/transfers

Given the timesacles, many of the players knew their contract was not going to be renewed I believe.

I love this new word: it's like a combination of "timescales" and "obstacles". It's just beautiful. "I'm sorry Jones, but due to the significant timesacles that we are facing, your training programme has had to be set back 10 years. Oh, by the way, your position is redundant. There's the door, bye bye." 

1 hour ago, Stevie_J said:

I'm not saying you're wrong but I find it hard to imagine Wellens would have any say if Chelsea came in.

Shrug - just passing on what I heard. Admittedly from a contact close to RW, so wouldn't be a shock if he was bigging up his part in it