Squad movements, summer 2018

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Season long loans are positive, signing free transfers on 1 year contracts less so.

And the manager is only on a rolling contract.

What length contracts for those free transfers would you have gone for?

As has been said, the point I was making was regarding the disruption that seemed to happen from December onwards last year with players uncertain of their futures, then leaving for a few weeks, then coming back.  A ridiculous situation.  Everyone involved can now focus on the season ahead without looking over their shoulders.

2 hours ago, kowenicki said:

Overall it is all more positive than having a number of key players leave in Jan like the last two seasons.  That was the point.  Your comments don’t change that. 

Signing players on one year contracts isn't positive, it is a sign you are skint.

If it was a positive then everyone would be doing it.

9 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

What length contracts for those free transfers would you have gone for?

As has been said, the point I was making was regarding the disruption that seemed to happen from December onwards last year with players uncertain of their futures, then leaving for a few weeks, then coming back.  A ridiculous situation.  Everyone involved can now focus on the season ahead without looking over their shoulders.

Generally longer contracts are a show of faith, no? It's why you see the top players signing multi year deals.

Is there anyone at this level who is deserving of a long term deal? 2 year deals seem to be as good as it gets. Risky to sign players for any longer when finances are tight I’d presume. 

Anyway, I’m hoping that we don’t suddenly need to bring in several loan players after Christmas. 

28 minutes ago, philsalt said:

Is there anyone at this level who is deserving of a long term deal? 2 year deals seem to be as good as it gets. Risky to sign players for any longer when finances are tight I’d presume. 

Anyway, I’m hoping that we don’t suddenly need to bring in several loan players after Christmas. 

Wouldn't it be lovely to sign players at Christmas to support a promotion push instead of to try and drag a threadbare squad out of the relegation places?

1 hour ago, philsalt said:

Was there ever an official announcement on the youth players at the end of the season? Presume Uche and Sheridan signed deals but have no idea who was released. 

They announced them with the squad numbers. One thing though, I thought Sheridan had another year left on his youth deal, have try got him on professional terms a year early or am I mistaken?

1 minute ago, Simpo said:

They announced them with the squad numbers. One thing though, I thought Sheridan had another year left on his youth deal, have try got him on professional terms a year early or am I mistaken?

Sheridan started his scholarship in April 2016 so I don't think he had another year to go. 

I'm assuming the scholars who were let go were Whalley, Dry, Arthur, Antoine, Lent and Boyling.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Generally longer contracts are a show of faith, no? It's why you see the top players signing multi year deals.

Great having faith, look at the crap that’s happened with Gerrard and Byrne both under contract and earning decent money, granted it looks as though Gerrard has been sacked but Byrne is a huge issue, his salary alone would cover 2-3 very able players at this level. It was obvious why we offered him a deal due to his academy pedigree at City and undoubted ability, but he’s young, immature and toxic if anything about the malicious challenge on Fane is true hence why we are stuck with him as no other club will touch him with a barge pole 

2 hours ago, leeslover said:

Wouldn't it be lovely to sign players at Christmas to support a promotion push instead of to try and drag a threadbare squad out of the relegation places?

True, although the last however many seasons have seen us patching up holes in our squad with loan signings and free agents in January. Unlike 2 years ago where we didn’t actually have a keeper until just before the first game of the season, dare I say that we seem to be a little better prepared for the upcoming season than in previous years.  

5 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

Wasn't there this morning but David Cotterill trained and so did Devonte Redmond (Manchester United Under 23 midfielder)

Just looked at pic of Redmond - he's the big lad I've seen at training a couple of times.

7 minutes ago, unsworthlatic said:

Wasn't there this morning but David Cotterill trained and so did Devonte Redmond (Manchester United Under 23 midfielder)

1 minute ago, mick26 said:

Just looked at pic of Redmond - he's the big lad I've seen at training a couple of times.

Released by Utd so a free agent. He is 6’2 so tall for a midfielder

If we add Cotterill I'll be very pleased with what we've got for League Two. We'd have one of the league's bigger squads, and decent depth. After worries we'd run out of money we've seen only a couple of major outgoings and quite a few come in.

But, although I'm not turning a blind eye to problems that are no doubt still ongoing, I'm generally relentlessly optimistic. Honestly, how does everyone else see this summer's transfer activity?

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Released by Utd so a free agent. He is 6’2 so tall for a midfielder

Despite a full season at Sunny he only came off the bench once in he league and twice in the league cup.