7 hours ago, bozman said:

The Times still think Scholes is getting  the job...

“It’s not important what pundits think. I don’t understand why managers even give it the time of day.” Paul Scholes tells @DickinsonTimes about swapping the studio for the dugout #MUFC #OAFC https://t.co/jZ2rNyaatN

The full article goes as close as it to saying done deal without actually saying it. 

10 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

He's 20ish, dunno exactly. He plays footy with a mate of mine...

Hang on an minute,  long good track record (occasional example excepted!), up to date info, declaring your source. That's not how you do In  The Know round these parts! 

😁

Edited by singe

Ask Paul Scholes why he is close to giving up a stable life of family and punditry to take on a managerial role at Oldham Athletic, the team ranked 80th in England who lie 12th in League Two, and the former Manchester United player is typically straightforward about the hole in his life that perhaps only management can fill.

The void has been there for the past five years, since he retired as one of the best British players of his generation; a lack of aim or ambition after so long striving for glory with United and England.

Scholes retired at the end of the 2012-13 season having won 25 trophies in 22 years with United and played 66 times for England. At 44, he needs more than the gym, playing golf, family time and involvement as one of now six former United players known as the Class of ’92 who own Salford City and who, yesterday, welcomed their former team-mate David Beckham after he bought a 10 per cent shareholding.

Punditry? Scholes has done it, highly effectively, notably in his staunch criticism of José Mourinho’s reign at United, which ended last month after the club’s worst start to a season since 1990-91, and his claim yesterday that “since Ole [Gunnar Solksjaer, the former player who is now interim manager] has come back you feel like you’ve got your club back”, but he admits that media work has never come close to satisfying him.

“I think that’s what makes you, not depressed, but it makes you sad when for 20 odd years, from leaving school, I’ve always had something to try to achieve at the end of it,” he says. “It was usually trying to win a trophy. Then you spend five or six years in the media and there is nothing to achieve. I think I’m ready again to try to achieve something. It might be a massive failure, I don’t know, but I want that sense of feeling again on a Saturday afternoon.

Whatever level it is you want to fight for something. I’ve got to a point now where if something does come up, I don’t want to be sat at home wondering about it.”

There is still something very odd about seeing that celebrated Class of ’92 — Scholes, Ryan Giggs, the Neville brothers, Nicky Butt and Beckham — and realising that only one of them, Butt in his role as academy director, has a role at Old Trafford. It is not how Sir Alex Ferguson envisaged it.

“I always remember the last couple of years [before he retired], he wanted us involved, he wanted us to get our coaching badges,” Scholes says at a press conference at Hotel Football, also owned by the Class of ’92 and just a corner kick from Old Trafford.

“I think the manager always wanted something similar to a Bayern Munich or an Ajax where there are always ex-players involved in the club, but it just has not happened other than Nicky. A lot changed at the club.”

He hardly need add that relations with Ed Woodward, the executive vice-chairman, have been strained but says that “you’d almost feel welcome there again” thanks to the revival under Solskjaer, a former team-mate.

Rather than wait for an offer, Scholes is poised to take over the club he supported as a boy. He has had talks with Abdallah Lemsagam, the Moroccan who became Oldham chairman in January 2018, about succeeding Frankie Bunn, who was sacked in December after six months in charge. Pete Wild, the caretaker manager, is expected to remain in charge for Saturday’s FA Cup fourth-round tie at Doncaster Rovers.

Does Scholes not fear that his outspokenness about the failings of other managers will come back to bite him? “It’s not important what pundits think,” he says. “I don’t understand why managers even give it the time of day.”

As for his own opinions, he insists that he only ever sought to be honest. “You can’t get away with bullshitting people,” he says. “I wasn’t slagging the club off, I was slagging the football off.”

Leaden football? “Shite,” Scholes mutters under his breath.

Soon we will find out how he fares in the dugout. He has not yet done his Pro Licence qualification and has taken his time to move into coaching. “I was always the last one to do anything out of the five or six of us,” he says. “I was the last to make my debut, last to do my coaching badges, if something happens then I’ll be the last to go into coaching as well. I want to be challenged. I’ve been sat at home for five years not challenged whatsoever.”

11 minutes ago, adamoafc said:

Ask Paul Scholes why he is close to giving up a stable life of family and punditry to take on a managerial role at Oldham Athletic, the team ranked 80th in England who lie 12th in League Two, and the former Manchester United player is typically straightforward about the hole in his life that perhaps only management can fill.

The void has been there for the past five years, since he retired as one of the best British players of his generation; a lack of aim or ambition after so long striving for glory with United and England.

Scholes retired at the end of the 2012-13 season having won 25 trophies in 22 years with United and played 66 times for England. At 44, he needs more than the gym, playing golf, family time and involvement as one of now six former United players known as the Class of ’92 who own Salford City and who, yesterday, welcomed their former team-mate David Beckham after he bought a 10 per cent shareholding.

Punditry? Scholes has done it, highly effectively, notably in his staunch criticism of José Mourinho’s reign at United, which ended last month after the club’s worst start to a season since 1990-91, and his claim yesterday that “since Ole [Gunnar Solksjaer, the former player who is now interim manager] has come back you feel like you’ve got your club back”, but he admits that media work has never come close to satisfying him.

“I think that’s what makes you, not depressed, but it makes you sad when for 20 odd years, from leaving school, I’ve always had something to try to achieve at the end of it,” he says. “It was usually trying to win a trophy. Then you spend five or six years in the media and there is nothing to achieve. I think I’m ready again to try to achieve something. It might be a massive failure, I don’t know, but I want that sense of feeling again on a Saturday afternoon.

Whatever level it is you want to fight for something. I’ve got to a point now where if something does come up, I don’t want to be sat at home wondering about it.”

There is still something very odd about seeing that celebrated Class of ’92 — Scholes, Ryan Giggs, the Neville brothers, Nicky Butt and Beckham — and realising that only one of them, Butt in his role as academy director, has a role at Old Trafford. It is not how Sir Alex Ferguson envisaged it.

“I always remember the last couple of years [before he retired], he wanted us involved, he wanted us to get our coaching badges,” Scholes says at a press conference at Hotel Football, also owned by the Class of ’92 and just a corner kick from Old Trafford.

“I think the manager always wanted something similar to a Bayern Munich or an Ajax where there are always ex-players involved in the club, but it just has not happened other than Nicky. A lot changed at the club.”

He hardly need add that relations with Ed Woodward, the executive vice-chairman, have been strained but says that “you’d almost feel welcome there again” thanks to the revival under Solskjaer, a former team-mate.

Rather than wait for an offer, Scholes is poised to take over the club he supported as a boy. He has had talks with Abdallah Lemsagam, the Moroccan who became Oldham chairman in January 2018, about succeeding Frankie Bunn, who was sacked in December after six months in charge. Pete Wild, the caretaker manager, is expected to remain in charge for Saturday’s FA Cup fourth-round tie at Doncaster Rovers.

Does Scholes not fear that his outspokenness about the failings of other managers will come back to bite him? “It’s not important what pundits think,” he says. “I don’t understand why managers even give it the time of day.”

As for his own opinions, he insists that he only ever sought to be honest. “You can’t get away with bullshitting people,” he says. “I wasn’t slagging the club off, I was slagging the football off.”

Leaden football? “Shite,” Scholes mutters under his breath.

Soon we will find out how he fares in the dugout. He has not yet done his Pro Licence qualification and has taken his time to move into coaching. “I was always the last one to do anything out of the five or six of us,” he says. “I was the last to make my debut, last to do my coaching badges, if something happens then I’ll be the last to go into coaching as well. I want to be challenged. I’ve been sat at home for five years not challenged whatsoever.”

Still seems a goer then.

One theory I've had is that if it's still on they may announce it Wednesday or Thursday next week to maximise coverage and revenue from the home game with Morecambe, run some sort of promotion and get the place rocking. Then I woke up.....

Edited by yarddog73

We dance this dance every time the position of manager is vacant (which in recent years is very often..).

Admittedly the speculation seems a little more intense than on other occasions, but the result will be the same. "We had a good chat with Paul, but he decided that it wasn't the right time for him".

Then we'll appoint someone internal until the end of the season... then it'll happen all over again. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Still seems a goer then.

One theory I've had is that if it's still on they may announce it Wednesday or Thursday next week to maximise coverage and revenue from the home game with Morecambe, run some sort of promotion and get the place rocking. Then I woke up.....

The longer this goes on the less of an impact it’ll make.  If it does end up being Scholes then no matter how you jazz up the press conference, it’s now old news.

Bemuses me how our club operates media exposure.  Regardless of what some people think, if it is Scholes, it should have been announced last week and maximised the wow factor and the national press interest.  Couldn’t AL have timed his downtime until afterwards or flown back earlier?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

The longer this goes on the less of an impact it’ll make.  If it does end up being Scholes then no matter how you jazz up the press conference, it’s now old news.

Bemuses me how our club operates media exposure.  Regardless of what some people think, if it is Scholes, it should have been announced last week and maximised the wow factor and the national press interest.  Couldn’t AL have timed his downtime until afterwards or flown back earlier?

Obviously not, probably tells you where the club ranks on his list of priorities.

4 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

I disagree.  The impact will be massive if it happens, whenever that might be.  People are letting their impatience get the better of them but we have no idea what the cause of the delay might be.

The disappointing thing for me is for the club to have been managerless throughout a transfer window, particularly given the restrictions even on loan deals these days.

7 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Nah.

17 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

I think Scholes is driving the timing of this announcement, if it happens. 

11 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Coaching badges, yes I think so

Hugely respected, gets credit/ contacts

Shrinking violet, have you heard him talk about Mourinho? 

Bring on Askey eh? 

So now it turns out he hasn't got his coaching badges on that shiny sparkly CV. It is written it on the back of a stamp.

Does anybody speak well of Morinho?

Bring on somebody-please its getting as bad as Brexit.

1 minute ago, whittles left foot said:

So now it turns out he hasn't got his coaching badges on that shiny sparkly CV. It is written it on the back of a stamp.

I thought it was only his Pro Licence he had to do? Sure I've seen it quoted he has done his A badge.

12 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Well I only saw an article on Look North West tonight and our shrinking violet prospective manager was notably absent in the interviews-just what you need in a manager?

Still cannot see other than his media profile what he brings to the party.

Getting a bit fed up with now TBH-if he wanted it he would have stepped up to the plate by now.

12 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

He's got the necessary coaching badges.  The only one he doesn't have is the UEFA Pro licence which he'll only need when he gets us to the Premier League or into Europe.

He's a multiple premier league winner, champions league, fa cup, has 66 England caps and has played in World Cups and European Championships.  He was highly regarded as a footballer by his peers all over the world. He has coaching experience with Man Utd, and as an co-owner of Salford will have some degree of a working knowledge of football at this level.  He will have contacts throughout all levels of the game.

His profile will hopefully get us a bit more coverage - some cash from being on Sky every now and again would be handy.

If we are going for a young manager in his first job, I can't imagine how there could be anyone better qualified.

But yeah, he played for Man Utd and doesn't have a league 2 promotion on his CV so he'll probably be shite.