Am I reading this bluddy thread correctly...…..we are getting the manager most people wanted (according to the last poll} and  yet, on this very topic, we get several posts bemoaning the fact that the EFL have now sanctioned the move and allows him to keep his Salford stake. Some people are now doubting his professionalism and integrity before he's even set the manager's chair to the right height. Get a grip and get behind the new manager in stead of putting imaginary hurdles in the way.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, meat pie sausage roll said:

It’s happening, just been confirmed on Granada reports that the league have decided that scholes part ownership of Salford is not a conflict of interest to him becoming Oldham manager. Likely to be announced over the weekend.

It’ll be announced Monday. 

I can't help thinking that if it had been a lesser known manager, who had a 10% stake in, say Rochdale, that there's no way it would have been sanctioned. We'll never know of course and I'll back Scholes all the way as I have every other Latics manager, but it all seems a little odd, and he could have saved us all a lot of time if he'd just got rid of his shares in Salford weeks ago.

Excellent. His challenge:

Average points total of 7th placed team in the last five seasons is 72.4 (two of the five years was 75). If we win tomorrow, he'll need to achieve 1.88 points per game. If we lose, we'd need over two points per game.

If we go with us winning tomorrow, he'll need to win at least half his games to have a chance.

8 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

I can't help thinking that if it had been a lesser known manager, who had a 10% stake in, say Rochdale, that there's no way it would have been sanctioned. We'll never know of course and I'll back Scholes all the way as I have every other Latics manager, but it all seems a little odd, and he could have saved us all a lot of time if he'd just got rid of his shares in Salford weeks ago.

Why should he get rid of his shares? He has a 10% interest in a, currently, non-league club. As far as I am aware, he doesn't manage the team but will be included in club-level decisions of a financial nature. Obviously, cash injections and the involvement of high profile 'local' ex-players has boosted the capability of the club and earn them three promotions in four seasons. They appear to have a good infrastructure, again, probably due to reasonable investment and high profile board members attracting interest.

Although I am not particularly fussed that Scholes could be Latics new manager, I will support his involvement and hope that his knowledge and influence can attract better players and maybe help potential investment. Regardless of Lemsagam's supposed meddling in managerial affairs, one would hope that he has been the driving force in getting Scholes to accept the position and is well aware of the potential benefits to the club and his financial investment so far. 

Let's start the new era with a bloody good win at Crawley tomorrow,

• Like 2

Sounds like Scholes first 3 games will be at home to Yeovil, Crewe and Morcombe before a big day out at Bury. 

Wonder if this could have been a bit contrived....? 

Still he could't have asked for a better start and if he starts with 9pts from 9 then who knows where we could finish. 

It makes a change if we benefit from some high level shenanigans or poor interpretation of the laws. 

We have had a poor run lately with three appalling penalty decisions, one of them proving critical.

Let’s roll with this one and see where it takes us - notwithstanding there’s nothing official yet. 

Just now, Londonboy said:

Sounds like Scholes first 3 games will be at home to Yeovil, Crewe and Morcombe before a big day out at Bury. 

Still he could't have asked for a better start and if he starts with 9pts from 9 then who knows where we could finish. 

Other than 17th! 

1 minute ago, Londonboy said:

The season is all but over, I really can't see how we can class that as contrived.

11 minutes ago, UpTheLatics said:

Average points total of 7th placed team in the last five seasons is 72.4 (two of the five years was 75). If we win tomorrow, he'll need to achieve 1.88 points per game. If we lose, we'd need over two points per game.

If we go with us winning tomorrow, he'll need to win at least half his games to have a chance.

Let's just try and win the next game and see how far that takes us if we start to look at what we need over the course of the season it can become overwhelming. Just look no further forward than Crawley tomorrow.

As for Scholes him retaining his 10% stake does not sit comfortably with me at all as he will have a financial incentive to aid a competitor.

Having someone of Scholes stature in the game as our manager is a major coup though.

If the Lemsagams don't change their ways and continue to meddle it will all end in tears anyway. If they allow him to get on with the job then this could be the start of something.

Edited by GlossopLatic
Appalling grammar and sentence structure.

6 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Let's just try and win the next game and see how far that takes us if we start to look at what we need over the course of the season it can become overwhelming. Just look no further forward than Crawley tomorrow.

As for Scholes him retaining his 10% stake does not sit comfortably with me at all as he will have a financial incentive to aid a competitor.

Having someone of Scholes stature in the game as our manager is a major coup though.

If the Lemsagams don't change their ways and continue to meddle it will all end in tears anyway. If they allow him to get on with the job then this could be the start of something.

Believe me, marra, I'm not expecting that. The consensus of this board's opinion still seems to consider us gatecrashing that top 7 to be realistic. What I've quoted, barring one run of form, is unlikely to happen.

I think it would be unfair to expect it.

17 minutes ago, UpTheLatics said:

Only one man can win that amount of games! And as Dunn told us it not Jose! It’s oh Jonny Jonny Jonny, jonny jonny jonny Sheridan 

12 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I agree, which is a shame because if this had of been sorted in half the time it would of been about this season.

Not sure this squad was ever equipped for top 7.

Need to finish the season strong to hold ST sales up as will be a big summer, likes of Clarke, Gardner, Hunt moving on - feels like this is Lemmy's last throw of the dice.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not sure this squad was ever equipped for top 7.

Need to finish the season strong to hold ST sales up as will be a big summer, likes of Clarke, Gardner, Hunt moving on - feels like this is Lemmy's last throw of the dice.

Again I agree but we've just gone through a window without any real quality additions, if anything we are much weaker than the team Bunn had to work with, let's hope the two young lads who've come in can hit the ground running.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Again I agree but we've just gone through a window without any real quality additions, if anything we are much weaker than the team Bunn had to work with, let's hope the two young lads who've come in can hit the ground running.

Scholes will have swallowed a lot of the budget so can understand why it was a quiet window.

38 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

All about the summer and next season, forget about this one.

How utterly depressing...

23 years of circling the drain in a shit division and now we're writing off the season when we're barely into February in an even shitter one.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

23 years of circling the drain in a shit division and now we're writing off the season when we're barely into February in an even shitter one.

I know but the league table doesn't lie, just don't see this team winning 6/7 on the bounce which would need to happen realistically.

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I know but the league table doesn't lie, just don't see this team winning 6/7 on the bounce which would need to happen realistically.

Oh yeah, we've no chance.

It's just a shite state of affairs that appears to be getting shiter - how many teams get relegated and then have absolutely no ambition of bouncing straight back up?  It's only going to get harder too...

Suppose Scholes (if he does end up being manager...) will have the rest of the season to learn.  Let's hope he's a) good and b) doesn't fall out with our wonderful owner... 

Edited by JoeP

9 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Unless the 2 new loanees can contrive to score a shit load of goals between them I can't see us going anywhere. 

We need a left back playing in the left back position and some fucker who can cross a ball getting the the said article into the box. The teams in this division are shite and if we can get at them we should start accumulating points. 

Bury are a team that score goals for fun and it has put them in the mix, this season has seen us hit new lows let's go out and try and demolish the opposition, I am getting to the point where I don't think I can take much more.