Cheltenham Town (A) - Match Thread

Hi fellow oafc supporters, I've supported our team since I was about 7 years old, I can remember us beating Plymouth 4-1 , since then I've seen ups & obviously downs . Everyone on this forum seems to be very pessimistic. Look around us , Bolton, Bury & more, they are just the same as us . If not worse !!! I don't condone what leasagam is doing but, he's still supposedly putting money into our club. Yes in some people's eyes we've had a shit season, but take a deeper look, as people say we've had 3/4 managers ( obviously not the best scenario) but give credit we're very close to playoffs , maybe considering we should give the players & interim coach/manager, peter wild , the credit they deserve. Peter wild as done very well against all the other managers including ( midfielder God scholes ) why not give him the job & have a bit of continuity. At least his heart is in the right place. I know this will go against a few people on here but why !!! Oafc in Wales 

Some strange goings on late in the game today. Maouche walking to take a corner, Iversen taking a cross then holding on to the ball and giving everyone the “calm it down” signal, and the full backs (especially left back) being anchored to the half way line when we were desperate for width. 

Little urgency to try and push for the win at the end. At this stage of the season a draw may as well be a loss. Wins are the only thing that could keep us in touch. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

I genuinely believe had we just let Frank Bunn and Andy Rhodes play out the season and allowed them to strengthen in January the way they wanted too and not sign a load of The Lemsagams dross then we'd be top 7 minimum.

I was unsure if Bunn was good enough as a manager but his record is pretty good and we were only on the fringes of the play offs going into Jan the right players we could easily have done it. Instead the Clowns both stick their ore in and our season has petered out. 

What has been "achieved" this season has been in spite of those 2 fuckwits.

An still people still  criticise Bunn.

He was doing fine. 

• Like 1

Just now, League one forever said:

An still people still  criticise Bunn.

He was doing fine, until AL wanted him fired and only half the team turned up at Carlisle, many of this bunch of players choose when they want to play rather than playing for the badge and the supporters which for me is unacceptable.

I genuinely believe had we just let Frank Bunn and Andy Rhodes play out the season and allowed them to strengthen in January the way they wanted too and not sign a load of The Lemsagams dross then we'd be top 7 minimum.

I was unsure if Bunn was good enough as a manager but his record is pretty good and we were only on the fringes of the play offs going into Jan the right players we could easily have done it. Instead the Clowns both stick their ore in and our season has petered out. 

What has been "achieved" this season has been in spite of those 2 fuckwits.

Got to agree with the first part of your post, just one big hole in your arguement and it begins and ends in S------s. How convenient to miss this out completely and turn it like sooo many on here into a lets bash the owner.

Their was an interview a couple of months ago on Radio Manchester with Keith Hill, it was before a midweek game where he discussed Rochdales escape last season.

He said that he knew from within football circles that their was turmoil at other clubs During the run in and that they could exploit it due to their stability. He all but named us in that statement as far I'm concerned.

You are certainly on the right lines there.Davies and Gerrard may not be everyone's cup of tea nor Wellens, but they have been very discreet.

6 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Got to agree with the first part of your post, just one big hole in your arguement and it begins and ends in S------s. How convenient to miss this out completely and turn it like sooo many on here into a lets bash the owner.

I'm bashing the owner for a good reason it's his fault.

The hole in my arguement being Scholes?

12 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I'm bashing the owner for a good reason it's his fault.

The hole in my arguement being Scholes?

Lets not get distracted with the Scholes issue.  The Scholes appointment was always going to be either an unmitigated success or disaster.The latter was always going to result him lifting the lid slightly on some of the goings on at OUR CLUB..Which in the long run will be prove to be of significant benefit.May not feel that way to some now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikejh45 said:

There are always players available...…….Latics or Jobcentre......no brainer.

What's needed is an idea before the season starts of how we want to play and find players who will fit that system instead of picking up any old player and trying to shoehorn that player into that system. Such as Branger as a right winger or Lang, early season, as a left winger.

Examples last summer of Job Centre or a kick about with Latics being Miller, Coke and Baxter. One has done alright.

Oh and Andy Taylor.

8 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

You mean the owner who probably influenced that dog shit performance at Brunton Park because he wanted Bunn out before the window opened and then proceeded to fuck off to Dubai  for the duration of the said window meaning we didn't strengthen the largely poor squad we already had other than a couple of strange signings our esteemed sporting director made?

The owner yet again has undermined another season with his antics, fortunately Bunn had us in a position where we'd collected enough points not to get dragged in to a relegation battle, thankfully that prevented back to back relegations, if you think Scholes is the problem in all this your deluded. 

Oh and in case you wasn't aware he employed Scholes and by his own admission begged him to stay so he is also culpable on that front as well.

Edited by yarddog73
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Their was an interview a couple of months ago on Radio Manchester with Keith Hill, it was before a midweek game where he discussed Rochdales escape last season.

He said that he knew from within football circles that their was turmoil at other clubs During the run in and that they could exploit it due to their stability. He all but named us in that statement as far I'm concerned.

Keith Hill is a bullshitter that will say anything to make it about how great he is.

If Charlton had played their proper team and not rested most of them then Dale would have been relegated. So his master plan of “taking advantage of other teams turmoil” (how do you even do that if you aren’t playing against them!?) would have failed. 

Hes been sacked since and Dale have improved.  The ‘bin man’ has had his day. 

Edited by kowenicki

10 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Some strange goings on late in the game today. Maouche walking to take a corner, Iversen taking a cross then holding on to the ball and giving everyone the “calm it down” signal, and the full backs (especially left back) being anchored to the half way line when we were desperate for width. 

Little urgency to try and push for the win at the end. At this stage of the season a draw may as well be a loss. Wins are the only thing that could keep us in touch. 

I didn’t go yesterday so can’t comment on the game but that sounds eerily similar to Northampton last season. At a time where you’d expect a group of professionals to be leaving nothing on the pitch, most looked like they couldn’t be arsed. It’s that sort of performance/mentality which makes you question why you bother as a fan. I’ve never left a ground feeling more dejected than at Northampton for that reason. 

25 minutes ago, kowenicki said:

Keith Hill is a bullshitter that will say anything to make it about how great he is.

If Charlton had played their proper team and not rested most of them then Dale would have been relegated. So his master plan of “taking advantage of other teams turmoil” (how do you even do that if you aren’t playing against them!?) would have failed. 

Hes been sacked since and Dale have improved.  The ‘bin man’ has had his day. 

:lol:

Their you go again.

11 minutes ago, south east latic said:

I didn’t go yesterday so can’t comment on the game but that sounds eerily similar to Northampton last season. At a time where you’d expect a group of professionals to be leaving nothing on the pitch, most looked like they couldn’t be arsed. It’s that sort of performance/mentality which makes you question why you bother as a fan. I’ve never left a ground feeling more dejected than at Northampton for that reason. 

It was different yesterday to Northampton.  Most players did give a shit but I think they had a different objective to the rest of us.  Iversen slowed the game down, we took off a forward and replaced him with a fullback, Clarke and Edmundson hugged each other ecstatically at full time.  They were playing for a clean sheet, the win wasn’t important.

The only thing we could come up with when talking about the disappointment last night is that somebody has decided that we don’t want to be promoted.  Sad.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

It was different yesterday to Northampton.  Most players did give a shit but I think they had a different objective to the rest of us.  Iversen slowed the game down, we took off a forward and replaced him with a fullback, Clarke and Edmundson hugged each other ecstatically at full time.  They were playing for a clean sheet, the win wasn’t important.

The only thing we could come up with when talking about the disappointment last night is that somebody has decided that we don’t want to be promoted.  Sad.

Or the players want an early finish this season.

40 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

:lol:

Their you go again.

It’s there... and what?  

I’m not denying we were in utter turmoil, I’m just saying Hill is an egotistical prick talking shite to big himself up... as usual.  Talk to any Dale fan. 

39 minutes ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Why would that be the case?

12 hours ago, laticsmarra said:

The 2 FWs were also very instrumental in our relegation 

Doyle never recovered from his illness, and I thought bought back too son but Bradford shows longer term effects. 

McEleney was just homesick. 

Oh I see. 

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

It’s there... and what?  

I’m not denying we were in utter turmoil, I’m just saying Hill is an egotistical prick talking shite to big himself up... as usual.  Talk to any Dale fan. 

And again :lol:

It doesn't matter if he is an egotistical prick what matters is that at the back end of last season we were in turmoil due to our clowns antics. Rochdale weren't and are a steady ship of the pitch, and stayed up because of it.

1 hour ago, kowenicki said:

It’s there... and what?  

Or was Hill referring on the rumours of Oldham players betting on OAFC getting relegated last season??