Cheltenham Town (A) - Match Thread

2 hours ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

The only thing we could come up with when talking about the disappointment last night is that somebody has decided that we don’t want to be promoted.  Sad.

Is Barry back , or did he just never go away!!!!!

28 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

And again :lol:

It doesn't matter if he is an egotistical prick what matters is that at the back end of last season we were in turmoil due to our clowns antics. Rochdale weren't and are a steady ship of the pitch, and stayed up because of it.

There still going down this season though 🤣

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

And again :lol:

It doesn't matter if he is an egotistical prick what matters is that at the back end of last season we were in turmoil due to our clowns antics. Rochdale weren't and are a steady ship of the pitch, and stayed up because of it.

Give it a rest. 

They got very lucky due to our chaos and unbelievably bad performances in the last few games, not because of anything he did and not because they are a ‘steady ship’ off the pitch. (Boardroom upheaval and sacked manager in last two months... steady)

31 minutes ago, Wardie said:

You sure about that?
They managed to win yesterday.

You are right, they might sneak out again actually.... but they have spent almost the whole of the last two seasons in the drop zone or thereabouts, losing over 40 games in that time, shipped a shit ton of goals and have dwindling crowds, a new board (controversially), a sacked ‘wonder manager’ and fan relations at a bit of a low... “steady ship”.  

Just now, kowenicki said:

You are right, they might sneak out again actually.... but they have spent almost the whole of the last two seasons in the drop zone or thereabouts, losing over 40 games in that time, shipped a shit ton of goals and have dwindling crowds, a new board (controversially), a sacked ‘wonder manager’ and fan relations at a bit of a low... “steady ship”.  

That us or Dale?

4 hours ago, south east latic said:

Why would that be the case?

Perhaps the bigger budget required in League 1 isn’t palatable?

I don’t know.  I just couldn’t understand why some of our players were celebrating a nil-nil draw away at Cheltenham when as fans, we had started the match boosted by the Exeter defeat that meant a play-off place was in our own hands.

Just got home though and it was a cracking away trip.  Shame about the football 😃

• Like 1

7 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

You mean the owner who probably influenced that dog shit performance at Brunton Park because he wanted Bunn out before the window opened and then proceeded to fuck off to Dubai  for the duration of the said window meaning we didn't strengthen the largely poor squad we already had other than a couple of strange signings our esteemed sporting director made?

The owner yet again has undermined another season with his antics, fortunately Bunn had us in a position where we'd collected enough points not to get dragged in to a relegation battle, thankfully that prevented back to back relegations, if you think Scholes is the problem in all this your deluded. 

Oh and in case you wasn't aware he employed Scholes and by his own admission begged him to stay so he is also culpable on that front as well.

The first bit from your own quote is entirely speculation and so is easily used to support your stance, it is just your opinion. Nobody has been able to explain the Carlisle debacle.

Can't disagree about the undermined season and I agree that Bunn should have been given more time.

Your defence of Scholes frankly ignores the fact he won 1 match and blew most of the other games, in fact it was mentioned on here that the Scholes appointment fitted in well with an easy fixture list Lincoln apart.That run ruined our remaining season, if you cannot see this you are delusional

How he can be held responsible for a bloke bailing out when the going got tough escapes me. Presume you or somebody else will cry 'interference' well that's just cobblers, we all do jobs that require compromise and football is no stranger to managers being told who they can play and who they cannot occasionally. But again it suits all those baying for his appointment at the time and of course gives Scholes an easy escape from any loss of face.

Don't understand your last sentence but I am sure you do.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, latics22 said:

I know it highly unlikely, but the fact remains win game in hand beat Exeter we’re in! 

Sadly not that simple, Stevenage are at home to Exeter on Monday so if Stevenage win or it's a draw then we'll be an extra point away minimum from the playoffs.

What was so frustrating about yesterday's draw is that I watched Exeter against Crawley and they look really vulnerable in that 7th spot.  A win would definitely kept us in the race for 7th.

1 hour ago, Inspiral_Carpet said:

Perhaps the bigger budget required in League 1 isn’t palatable?

I don’t know.  I just couldn’t understand why some of our players were celebrating a nil-nil draw away at Cheltenham when as fans, we had started the match boosted by the Exeter defeat that meant a play-off place was in our own hands.

Just got home though and it was a cracking away trip.  Shame about the football 😃

Wild goes on about the clean sheet in the interview afterwards. That was clearly the aim. They should have all been devastated at the missed opportunity, not pleased with their day’s work. 

For whatever reason, promotion is clearly not the aim this season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

The first bit from your own quote is entirely speculation and so is easily used to support your stance, it is just your opinion. Nobody has been able to explain the Carlisle debacle.

Wasn’t there a strong rumour AL went into the dressing room after the previous home game, which we’d drawn and played quite well (Exeter was it?) and really tore strips off the players in front of Bunn, undermining him and the whole team in the process?

16 minutes ago, maddog said:

Wasn’t there a strong rumour AL went into the dressing room after the previous home game, which we’d drawn and played quite well (Exeter was it?) and really tore strips off the players in front of Bunn, undermining him and the whole team in the process?

It's not rumour it's the truth.

2 hours ago, maddog said:

We lost but played fairly well and only lost because Stockley had one of those games.  Definitely not a match to undermine a manager (without an ulterior motive of course).

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I think you’ll find it was a full blown argument between AL and FB after the Exeter game in the offices rather than AL having a blast at the players in the dressing room

On 4/20/2019 at 5:37 PM, yarddog73 said:

Another OWTB fact bites the dust?

8 hours ago, Paul said:

I think you’ll find it was a full blown argument between AL and FB after the Exeter game in the offices rather than AL having a blast at the players in the dressing room

Oh Dear.

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

So what makes you think Paul is any more informed than myself?

Like to know how Miller got involved then if it was in the managers office.

I don’t know why you think Miller got involved, my sons friend said it was just between AL and FB, players weren’t involved. AL let IM go as he was only on a week to week contract and I’m guessing didn’t rate him as AL then brought some players in such as Afolayan, Dearnley and the infamous Vera. 

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

So what makes you think Paul is any more informed than myself?

Like to know how Miller got involved then if it was in the managers office.

I don’t know why you think Miller got involved, my sons friend said it was just between AL and FB, players weren’t involved. AL let IM go as he was only on a week to week contract and I’m guessing didn’t rate him as AL then brought some players in such as Afolayan, Dearnley and the infamous Vera. 

On 4/21/2019 at 12:53 AM, nzlatic said:

Wild goes on about the clean sheet in the interview afterwards. That was clearly the aim. They should have all been devastated at the missed opportunity, not pleased with their day’s work. 

For whatever reason, promotion is clearly not the aim this season. 

Both the Swindon and Cheltenham games were very winnable. It appeared to me that we didnt want to win either, just not lose. Against Swindon, we had 20 minutes to find a winner, but suddenly played like we had done enough.

Cheltenham were awful. Every time we got in the final third, we either passed it sideways or overran and lost possesion. Lang in particular was guilty of overruning the ball on several occaisions when there were much better options available. For all the good missile does in breaking up opponents attacks, against Cheltenham, he managed to break up ours every time he had the ball by turning round and passing back. 

Very disappointed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul said:

Hang on, isn't it OWTB FACT that Scholes brought Dearnley and Afolyan in? 

3 hours ago, L1onheartNew said:

For all the good missile does in breaking up opponents attacks, against Cheltenham, he managed to break up ours every time he had the ball by turning round and passing back. 

Very disappointed.

I thought part of the reason for this was the lack of width.  First half Nepo was hugging the touchline on the left but we kept hammering it long into the channels on the right. Then as the game went on we played more narrow.  But it was like the midfielders didn't get the message - not just Missilou but any of the midfielders would run laterally across the pitch with the ball only for there to be no one out wide to give it to.  Something made even worse by the full backs (mainly Iacovitti) not coming past half way.  Any team desperate to win would have been pushing the full backs on to create an overlap. But we seemed overly concerned about keeping the back line together to avoid being caught on the counter.

Will be interesting to see how we set up today, especially later on in the game if it's level.

• Like 1