Laurent Banide

Saw the announcement yesterday and normally I’d be rushing on here to post comment.  I guess it reflects just how much I’m disillusioned and disinterested in our club at the moment.  

To be honest, if we announced Guardiola yesterday I’d still be shrugging my shoulders.  Key here is recruitment rather than whoever’s coaching.  Granted tactics are crucial but if we’re going to trot out O’Grady up front then - no disrespect to Chris - we’re fucked even before we kick a ball in anger.  I’m anticipating an influx of more foreign unknowns now and with an open mind, they could all come good but FFS we’re in L2 and need players who know this league because our new head coach certainly doesn’t.  

Again its an own goal for Lemsagam - an opportunity to engage with the dwindling fanbase and excite prospective ST purchasers goes missing.  I wasn’t expecting Danny Cowley but there’s hundreds of domestic managers/coaches out there but our club is now too toxic for 95% of them.  Even an OAFC diehard in PW walked away from his dream job because of this cancer in charge.

I took more interest in a fans post that languishing in L1 with David Eyres in the autumn of his career is like Champions League football to where we are now.  That’s how far we’ve fallen.  Very sad times and whilst I’m expecting the worst this coming season, my heart is hoping that the unknown factor shocks L2 and we’re back in L1 come May 2020 with a crop of promising acquisitions from across the channel.

• Like 6

Similar to Midsblue, I’ve struggled to muster any real feelings about this whatsoever. I don’t suppose it matters really who’s in charge but at least now Lemsagam has got someone in the mould he wants at the helm. If it goes tits up, it’s completely on his head.

The new guy’s record looks less than brilliant even if you only look at length of tenure at his respective clubs but let’s face it, those of us that are still left are going to be there come August either way so we may as well get on with it and get behind him for now.

Roll on fixture release day next week!

37 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Sorry, but no.  The Head Coach works with the Sporting Director (i.e. Director of Football).  Similar to Wadsworth and Dowie back in 2002.

I can see how it works in theory, with the Sporting Director being in charge of off-the-pitch matters like transfers and contract negotiations while the Head Coach is in charge of on-field matters like training, selection and tactics.

But lets be honest, with the way Marco and his brother have been running the club I can't see any Head Coach being able to have control of on-field matters.  Mo Lemsagam is effectively our manager.

I have nothing against Banide (mainly because I literally have no idea who he is) but he's clearly a patsy.  I would say that I hope he does well but it's kind of irrelevant, as it's very likely he'll be gone within 15 games either way.  Darren Kelly is the only person in charge that we've had where my expectations were lower and in both cases I think him and Banide have been hung out to dry, regardless of ability.

I agree with the probability that Lemsagam is aiming to manage his investment. There is not lot wrong, in principle, with the business ethics. But with his only experiance within Professional Football apart from running a players agency it doesn't bode well. His choice of player recruitment has been poor at best. I am on record questioning AL's real reason for being here. I still don't know what he is getting out of it and that worries me. 

I have a suspicion but that is all. We were stuffed before he arrived and that hasn't changed. It would appear suicidal for him to take on running the playing side exclusively. We won't have long to wait to judge that beauty - if it happens. 

The main thing in this for me personally, I was in two minds whether to get a season ticket or not. After the utter mediocrity of last season, and then seeing the retained/released list, I sort of needed a decent appointment to gauge my interest back up. I'm 28 so I have seen nothing but utter shite watching Oldham. Disappointment after disappointment. 

Maybe my head was in the clouds wanting a Steve evans/Stuart McCall type, considering they wouldn't put up with some of the antics from the chuckle brothers, but that appointment yesterday just knocked the wind out my sails. 

Won't be buying a season ticket I don't think, and I'm only mentioning because I'm guessing there will be more than a few in the same boat as me. It was a good opportunity to get the fans back on board and implement his "long term vision" he discussed in his statement, and I couldn't be less enthused. 

I'm willing to judge him on his results and give the guy a chance but my interested is approaching nil. Starting to wonder why I even like football in the first place 😂 you can't fall out of love with the game but Latics are certainly pushing their luck on that one 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JTM said:

The main thing in this for me personally, I was in two minds whether to get a season ticket or not. After the utter mediocrity of last season, and then seeing the retained/released list, I sort of needed a decent appointment to gauge my interest back up. I'm 28 so I have seen nothing but utter shite watching Oldham. Disappointment after disappointment. 

Maybe my head was in the clouds wanting a Steve evans/Stuart McCall type, considering they wouldn't put up with some of the antics from the chuckle brothers, but that appointment yesterday just knocked the wind out my sails. 

Won't be buying a season ticket I don't think, and I'm only mentioning because I'm guessing there will be more than a few in the same boat as me. It was a good opportunity to get the fans back on board and implement his "long term vision" he discussed in his statement, and I couldn't be less enthused. 

I'm willing to judge him on his results and give the guy a chance but my interested is approaching nil. Starting to wonder why I even like football in the first place 😂 you can't fall out of love with the game but Latics are certainly pushing their luck on that one 

I have let the previous season ticket deadline pass, this one will be going too.

I am not particularly bothered about the appointment of Banide, it all seems largely irrelevant as we all know that :clown: and :jester: are running the show.

If another bus load of foreign dross arrives at Boundary Park i won't even be turning up on the day.

10 hours ago, oafcshuck said:

That website is wrong. Missing lots and lots of games. 

Again as mentioned it's being reported he took Monaco down, I've not looked into that one, but the flip side as mentioned above is that he took over with them second bottom and guided them to 9th, five years earlier in 2007. 

Not claiming he's the world's greatest manager, but he's not as 'rubbish' as people are making out.

Having just spoken to Kuwait SC Twitter, they tell me Banide was sacked during that title winning 16/17  season and Abdullah was the man that led them to the title.

I know our chairman is more at home with the French speaking sector of football but I really wonder if he has burned his bridges to such an extent with the English end that he genuinely can't get anyone over here to take the job. Yes I know we've allegedly had 30 odd applicants but still after this last two years we do appear to be the poisoned chalice of the lower leagues

Glass half full view:

Laurent Banide is a perfect fit for ALs strategic plan announced only a few weeks ago

Rather than try another first timer, inexperienced coach or an experienced run of the mill lower league usual suspect, AL has secured the services of a vastly experienced coach

We simply cannot survive by continuing to operate in the traditional lower league format

The foundation of ALs strategy is primarily based around building a recognised conveyor belt to develop and sell on young and foreign players.

He worked for over 15 years for AS Monaco Youth, widely accepted as one of the top European Clubs for bringing through young players whilst playing attractive attacking football

I would think he speaks a number of languages, which is critical particularly for developing foreign players and lets be frank, communicating with AL

Fingers crossed for some attractive attacking football and the development of an improving financial footing for our Club

:chubb:

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

No you wouldn’t ...

Yes I would.  Guardiola would struggle with the squad at his disposal and no sign of strengthening.   Even more so being hamstrung by Pennywise.

Problem isn’t the manager.  Yet another sign of total contempt for our fanbase.  Supposed to be building bridges but this Clown is killing it off by the day.

The lack of any conference to welcome this new bloke speaks volumes.  Why announce it now if he’s joining July?  The Clown doesn’t give a fuck about a few comments meaning about the lack of an appointment.  This smacks of ticking a box - a patsy with control firmly sat elsewhere.

45 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Yes I would.  Guardiola would struggle with the squad at his disposal and no sign of strengthening.   Even more so being hamstrung by Pennywise.

Problem isn’t the manager.  Yet another sign of total contempt for our fanbase.  Supposed to be building bridges but this Clown is killing it off by the day.

The lack of any conference to welcome this new bloke speaks volumes.  Why announce it now if he’s joining July?  The Clown doesn’t give a fuck about a few comments meaning about the lack of an appointment.  This smacks of ticking a box - a patsy with control firmly sat elsewhere.

Better to announce him now than on July 1st surely?

53 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Glass half full view:

Laurent Banide is a perfect fit for ALs strategic plan announced only a few weeks ago

Rather than try another first timer, inexperienced coach or an experienced run of the mill lower league usual suspect, AL has secured the services of a vastly experienced coach

We simply cannot survive by continuing to operate in the traditional lower league format

The foundation of ALs strategy is primarily based around building a recognised conveyor belt to develop and sell on young and foreign players.

He worked for over 15 years for AS Monaco Youth, widely accepted as one of the top European Clubs for bringing through young players whilst playing attractive attacking football

I would think he speaks a number of languages, which is critical particularly for developing foreign players and lets be frank, communicating with AL

Fingers crossed for some attractive attacking football and the development of an improving financial footing for our Club

Good post, I just hope the attractive football is matched with a few wins because that's ultimately what will bring the fans back and hopefully get us out of this league (the right end)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Glass half full view:

Not so much half full as overflowing with the tap still running...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Careca9 said:

he's managed monaco twice at a really decent level. none of our previous managers have anywhere near that experience so thats a good thing and a mrked change from what we have seen previously. should have plenty of contacts and be used to working under people like AL. i think he will fit as well as anyone could do although worried he rarely lasts longer than a year anywhere

And there’s s reason why he’s managed clubs in the back of beyond ... could be because he a tactical genius like Ferguson or Mourinho , or a world class coach like Guardiola or Klopp ... or could it be because he’s shit 

I can't wait for this bloke's first press conference. How much does he know about English lower League football? Has he got any targets in mind, players or League position? How does he rate the current squad (if you can call it that)? Does he speak any English or do we have to employ an interpreter? 

Totally underwhelmed; he's got his work cut out to get the fans onside, so he'd better get off to a good start and play some decent football with a decent squad. Over to you, Monsieur.

Edited by Bristolatic
Spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Midsblue said:

To be honest, if we announced Guardiola yesterday I’d still be shrugging my shoulders.  Key here is recruitment rather than whoever’s coaching.

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

No you wouldn’t ...

1 hour ago, Midsblue said:

Yes I would.  Guardiola would struggle with the squad at his disposal and no sign of strengthening.   

Sky Sports News: 

’Pep Guardiola announced as new Head Coach at Oldham  Athletic. Huge excitement and, to be honest, disbelief among the Oldham fans and the wider footballing community. This unprecedented move has captured the attention of the footballing world with high expectations within the Oldham fan base for the season ahead.

When interviewed by Sky Sport’s reporter, Oldham fan Midsblue shrugged his shoulders...’ 😉

*Agree with your other comments btw that this does look like an own goal from AL.

Edited by TheBigDog

1 hour ago, dannyboy55555 said:

British dross is OK then? Could argue some of our best signings have been foreign recently.

That’s because the managers haven’t been to sign who they want and  Curly and Moe (now joined by Larry (aka Owen)) are fucking our club up