L2 Carlisle United (A) 28.09.2019

8 hours ago, Gary1906 said:

I don’t particularly see Vera as the big target man that we need. We need better than that.

8 hours ago, JoeP said:

Come on, no one on either side of the argument here even considers Vera as an option..

Thats kind of the point Im making. It doesn't necessarily have to be a big forward just one that is competent.

7 hours ago, dannyboy55555 said:

Whatever the style or formation, you need good players. Ours are largely shite 

Got it in one

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Dinosaur football.

We have had several seasons of low scoring football-let's try something else.

Banide had started to get some decent passing and movement then that obviously went.

Faster more mobile forwards is the way to go with a midfield that can find their runs.

It worked for Lincoln and many others at this level.

13 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

Whats this obsession with the "lump" upfront he doesn't have to be big just good enough. Shall we just sign a prop forward from the roughyeds.

What a good idea.😁

13 hours ago, latics22 said:

We had Holloway who was a great player, strong in the air, great at linking play

The majority on here thought he was shit and didnt want a big lump up field. Simple fact is, this league is shit and with a bit of investment,we could walk this league. Reduce the squad, get rid of the show pony and add few clever signings. Sounds simple....

Show pony, who could you mean. 

2 minutes ago, Frankies6 said:

Come winter when pitches start to resemble marsh land we will struggle trying to pass our way through teams, we are struggling now god help us come winter time.

Agreed.

We need to move the ball much quicker to catch opponents out a bit more. 

We don't put defenders under pressure much  at all, which at this level is scandalous. 

1 minute ago, Bobledgersheart said:

He'd look pretty good in this team though - just the sort of player we're short have (one for the grammar police there!), someone to hold the ball and bring team mates into the game. 

Not to mention keep the physio busy 

48 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Agreed.

We need to move the ball much quicker to catch opponents out a bit more. 

We don't put defenders under pressure much  at all, which at this level is scandalous. 

no one wants us playing hoof ball / playing direct , they want us playing on the grass..and running into brick walls.... 

43 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

He'd look pretty good in this team though - just the sort of player we're short have (one for the grammar police there!), someone to hold the ball and bring team mates into the game. 

He wouldn’t look good in any team! He’s the most pointless footballer ever! Gets praise for “holding the ball up”, which literally any professional footballer should be able to do. Warren Feeney did exactly the same thing while he was here, yet is rightly regarded by many as one of the worst strikers we’ve ever had!

On 9/30/2019 at 11:20 AM, No Pyro No Party said:

If we had a different midfield, i.e. not Maouche because he can't carry the ball or out-strength the opposition, we'd be in a different situation. Added strength as well as being able to feed the ball forward would see us convert chances. But we don't have it this year (yet. Interested to see what the transfer window does for us). It's no wonder we miss sitters because our strikers' chances are so few and far in between. We know they can do it but who's feeding it to them?

You would think that if we create more chances then we would score more goals I agree - but there is no guarantee with our forwards that this would be the case.

Also I’m not sure that your logic stands up with what you write:

“Added strength as well as being able to feed the ball forward would see us convert chances’”

How you draw that conclusion is beyond me. 🤔

“’Its no wonder we miss sitters because our strikers’ chances are so few and far between”

I think that we miss chances because our ‘strikers’ are not very good.

“We know they can do it but who’s feeding it to them?”

I would disagree -  they quite clearly cannot do it.

After the first 11 matches played we average 11 attempts on goal per game with three being on target.. The one game in which we scored 3, Morecambe at BP, we had 9 shots with 3 on target. The other victory, 2-1 at Cambridge, came with us having only 7 attempts with 3 on target.

We have failed to score in almost half of our games, 5 out of 11. We had 52 attempts on goal in those 5 games.

It seems to me that the ‘strikers’ are letting us down. Dino himself has already stated that we need one in if possible.

We are simply not clinical enough when we have chances. And as a team, all must bear that responsibility and look to improve the conversion rate, and in particular Segbe, Wilson, Branger, Maouche and Morais . 

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

You would think that if we create more chances then we would score more goals I agree - but there is no guarantee with our forwards that this would be the case.

Also I’m not sure that your logic stands up with what you write:

“Added strength as well as being able to feed the ball forward would see us convert chances’”

How you draw that conclusion is beyond me. 🤔

“’Its no wonder we miss sitters because our strikers’ chances are so few and far between”

I think that we miss chances because our ‘strikers’ are not very good.

“We know they can do it but who’s feeding it to them?”

I would disagree -  they quite clearly cannot do it.

After the first 11 matches played we average 11 attempts on goal per game with three being on target.. The one game in which we scored 3, Morecambe at BP, we had 9 shots with 3 on target. The other victory, 2-1 at Cambridge, came with us having only 7 attempts with 3 on target.

We have failed to score in almost half of our games, 5 out of 11. We had 52 attempts on goal in those 5 games.

It seems to me that the ‘strikers’ are letting us down. Dino himself has already stated that we need one in if possible.

We are simply not clinical enough when we have chances. And as a team, all must bear that responsibility and look to improve the conversion rate, and in particular Segbe, Wilson, Branger, Maouche and Morais . 

Do the stats show who's having those shots? Or where they're from?

From what I've seen it doesn't look like we're creating a load of great chances that the strikers just can't convert.  It looks like we have occasional good moments of play in among a lot of ponderous, sideways passing, with a real lack of urgency to get the ball or bodies in the box.

54 minutes ago, JoeP said:

He wouldn’t look good in any team! He’s the most pointless footballer ever! Gets praise for “holding the ball up”, which literally any professional footballer should be able to do. Warren Feeney did exactly the same thing while he was here, yet is rightly regarded by many as one of the worst strikers we’ve ever had!

If literally any professional footballer can hold the ball up why haven't we got a forward that can ?

I wasn't saying he's the answer, just that someone like him is desperately needed.

15 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

If literally any professional footballer can hold the ball up why haven't we got a forward that can ?

I wasn't saying he's the answer, just that someone like him is desperately needed.

The three strikers we have are probably more than capable of holding it up, but that’s not the way we currently play.

We definitely don’t need someone like Holloway. We need to find a striker who can hold the ball up AND chip in with a few goals. We should be scouring non-league for the next Matt Smith..

22 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The three strikers we have are probably more than capable of holding it up, but that’s not the way we currently play.

We definitely don’t need someone like Holloway. We need to find a striker who can hold the ball up AND chip in with a few goals. We should be scouring non-league for the next Matt Smith..

I only watch home games but none of the forwards I've seen are good at holding the ball and getting midfielders involved.

Admittedly our's aren't particularly good at getting in the box quickly, although Missilou has been getting in there a bit more lately.

The real problem lies with only playing one upfront when your midfielders aren't by nature quickly pushing forward, so the one central forward needs to be exceptional at hold-up play and probably a bit bigger that what we've got. 

I think if we get someone half decent up top, be it non league or otherwise, both Azankpo and Wilson would score goals.

When you look at a lot of the sides we play most have a big, mobile forward who run our centre-halves around and make space for runners to come through from midfield.

15 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I only watch home games but none of the forwards I've seen are good at holding the ball and getting midfielders involved.

Admittedly our's aren't particularly good at getting in the box quickly, although Missilou has been getting in there a bit more lately.

The real problem lies with only playing one upfront when your midfielders aren't by nature quickly pushing forward, so the one central forward needs to be exceptional at hold-up play and probably a bit bigger that what we've got. 

I think if we get someone half decent up top, be it non league or otherwise, both Azankpo and Wilson would score goals.

When you look at a lot of the sides we play most have a big, mobile forward who run our centre-halves around and make space for runners to come through from midfield.

It's so glaringly obvious to everyone expect Mo that both Azankpo and Wilson are a complete waste of a shirt upfront on their own. 

As you say, one or both could be decent in a two. Sadly though I think they'd be just as shit.

You live and die by your strikers and these two are giving our season a very quick death. 

5 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

It's so glaringly obvious to everyone expect Mo that both Azankpo and Wilson are a complete waste of a shirt upfront on their own. 

As you say, one or both could be decent in a two. Sadly though I think they'd be just as shit.

You live and die by your strikers and these two are giving our season a very quick death. 

Harsh on Wilson. Came here with a good scoring pedigree in this division. More likely to be the way we play is shit, rather than the player..

18 hours ago, JoeP said:

Harsh on Wilson. Came here with a good scoring pedigree in this division. More likely to be the way we play is shit, rather than the player..

Harsh on the pair IMO - at least try a pair upfront for a few matches before we bin the pair of them !

It's a Latics thing that strikers who don't work well here often go on to better pastures.

The youth team also seem unable to produce one to challenge for a first team place but I've always maintained good finishers aren't just coached it's about desire and bravery as much as anything. 

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Only 22yo, maybe worth a look?

42 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The Macc forum told us all we needed to know about him.... and so not playing him in a two is sacrilege really.....

https://fansonline.net/macclesfieldtown/mb/view.php?id=193048

Archived