L2 Carlisle United (A) 28.09.2019

No final ball today. A couple of decent balls into the box and we'd have seen them off. 

Any pass longer than 5m went astray, and that's just not going to work in any league. We're very static around the centre circle, so it's too easy for the opposition to cut out passes. 

No standouts today, and Fage had a complete mare after he came on. 

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woods made two important stops to make the scoreline not reflect that if we were still playing now  we wouldn't have scored. Ref was shite... Lino was worse. Mills the only player to register on the did OK meter... Lots of work to do Dino.... Lots of work 

Can I also comment that in no way did the players or manager deserve the reception they got at the end. Some of our supporters are bigoted, ignorant fuck witts. I also heard the worst rant at a match official ever... Lino your wife tells you when you have your tea... I mean what the fucking hell is that 🤣

7 hours ago, south east latic said:

That was terrible today. Carlisle were awful but we had no idea of how to break them down. I’ve been pretty downbeat about our chances this season but went into this game full of optimism given last week’s result and Dino’s positivity. Unfortunately it was really, really poor. 

It was the same group of players who have only won 1 in 9 this season prior to Dino's arrival. A few nice interviews doesn't change the fact that the majority of this bloated squad aren't good enough. It should come as no surprise we got beat yesterday 

10 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

That performance today was shite...we created absolutely Fu** all.

I’m so glad I didn’t make the journey up there, our players are clueless!!

13 hours ago, SweeperKeeper said:

No final ball today. A couple of decent balls into the box and we'd have seen them off. 

Any pass longer than 5m went astray, and that's just not going to work in any league. We're very static around the centre circle, so it's too easy for the opposition to cut out passes. 

No standouts today, and Fage had a complete mare after he came on. 

Just from watching the highlights Branger had what was effectively a free header at an open goal thanks to a decent cross and a keeper howler. Some good borderline legal defending made the chance much more difficult. 

We also created something from a Hamer long throw. 

The match report (provided by the Press Association who are not always reliable) says we had a few more opportunities too. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49778372

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Just from watching the highlights Branger had what was effectively a free header at an open goal thanks to a decent cross and a keeper howler. Some good borderline legal defending made the chance much more difficult. 

We also created something from a Hamer long throw. 

The match report (provided by the Press Association who are not always reliable) says we had a few more opportunities too. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49778372

Sylla and Hamer's closing down woeful.

Hamer just isn't improving  and maybe if Egert is fully fit could be replaced?

Too predictable, and so poor in the final third. What worried me was the complete lack of urgency and leadership on the pitch. Like others have said, Carlisle should have been there for the taking, but we just didn’t look up for it. 

It looks like some of these players have a free pass and are undroppable. 

I’d like to see either a centre mid dropped and Desiré and Wilson up front together. I don’t particularly rate either but we desperately need work defences more.

1 hour ago, ShireBlue said:

I’d like to see either a centre mid dropped and Desiré and Wilson up front together. I don’t particularly rate either but we desperately need work defences more.

I’d like to see them together but with a midfielder that is willing  to feed them. Ideally, Sylla wins the ball back, feeds attacking midfielder whilst Wilson and Azankpo make runs waiting to be put through. Maouche just doesn’t do this. Missilou might. Eagles might. 

Look at Azankpo’s highlight reel: when he scores it’s usually through the middle and to his feet. We seem to take the ball to the corner flag and (if we’re lucky) a cross comes in usually headed away by a CB 6”taller than Azankpo. Yes, we had two goals from crosses last weekend but I’d like to see the success rate of that move.

Would love to see Wilson and Azankpo but we’d have to play to their strengths.

1 hour ago, ShireBlue said:

As @BP1960 will atest I've been saying this for a while. Lots of defences have either 2 big blokes or one big and one quick bloke at centre-half. The combination of Desire and Wilson will be able to create a physical mis-match against one of that sort of pair.

With our midfield options we can find a decent 4 so we don't get out run in midfield without losing all the creativity. Or we could go to a back 3. 

Very few successful teams go a whole season where a striker isn't the top scorer. Our strikers aren't going to score many in the current system and we know Wilson has a bit of pedigree at this level. 

47 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

As @BP1960 will atest I've been saying this for a while. Lots of defences have either 2 big blokes or one big and one quick bloke at centre-half. The combination of Desire and Wilson will be able to create a physical mis-match against one of that sort of pair.

With our midfield options we can find a decent 4 so we don't get out run in midfield without losing all the creativity. Or we could go to a back 3. 

Very few successful teams go a whole season where a striker isn't the top scorer. Our strikers aren't going to score many in the current system and we know Wilson has a bit of pedigree at this level. 

Last season may have been a one off, plus he had a big partner.

Maamria says he is scouring free agents for a CF. Even if Mo finds one, and he hasn't so far, the player won't be match fit for weeks.

Always one pass too many yesterday and too much tippy tappy sideways and backwards football.  

Just watched Wilson’s 19/20 highlights. He can score goals - 1 in 3 at Macc - but, again, he scored a lot through the centre of the pitch not via crosses which seems to be our favoured attack.

We need a decent number 10 to feed Azankpo and Wilson and a tall strong number 9 to get in the end of Mills, Morais crosses.

18 minutes ago, LittlePhilHill said:

Just watched Wilson’s 19/20 highlights. He can score goals - 1 in 3 at Macc - but, again, he scored a lot through the centre of the pitch not via crosses which seems to be our favoured attack.

We need a decent number 10 to feed Azankpo and Wilson and a tall strong number 9 to get in the end of Mills, Morais crosses.

I don't think Steve Dawson has found a new club yet.

3 hours ago, al_bro said:

Maamria says he is scouring free agents for a CF. Even if Mo finds one, and he hasn't so far, the player won't be match fit for weeks.

Always one pass too many yesterday and too much tippy tappy sideways and backwards football.  

Gary Hooper is a free agent I think, but even on a short term deal would be big budget. Maybe we should  splash out on such a player though rather than about 18 who will never play for the first team on a regular basis?

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/18-former-scottish-football-stars-who-remain-free-agents-as-october-approaches-1-5010418

8 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Gary Hooper is a free agent I think, but even on a short term deal would be big budget. Maybe we should  splash out on such a player though rather than about 18 who will never play for the first team on a regular basis?

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/celtic/18-former-scottish-football-stars-who-remain-free-agents-as-october-approaches-1-5010418

Giles Coke is Number 15 in that list 👀

3 hours ago, al_bro said:

Tippy Tappy football with no end product.. Carlisle got the better of us yesterday  they sat in and made it hard for us to play our crisp passing game  which is becoming  ery predictable,  very lightweight and no plan B. Just keep playing the same way god help us when the pitches start resembling council pitches in winter and we continue playing tippy tappy.. All parts of yesterday were shocking.. and maouche escaped being subbed again,must be a clause in his contract saying he must play 90 minutes   

Archived