Cheltenham (H)⚽️

4 hours ago, adamoafc said:

Missilou has interest from league 1 ready for the jan transfer window, far too good for this league. 

If his contract is up in the summer then I can't see us getting too much for him.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Also the Adams sub was nothing short of a gamble by Dino, a gamble that was extremely ineffective. The lad couldn’t time a jump yesterday. 

A gamble to take off one of our more senior players in Morais, and then bring on a kid whos never played to play with the silent Maoche and Segbe. Poor from the manager. Why on earth does Eagles not get on the pitch?!

29 minutes ago, youngen said:

A gamble to take off one of our more senior players in Morais, and then bring on a kid whos never played to play with the silent Maoche and Segbe. Poor from the manager. Why on earth does Eagles not get on the pitch?!

its obvious why he wanted an extra body up front to push for a winner.. 

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Segbe started wide left then moved central after half time where he  needs to be, alongside another striker or just in front of Eagles.

"Where he needs to be" is very subjective. For example, I believe he needs to be playing "football" in a much lower standard than ours (and ours is shite), or taking a career as a long distance runner, as granted he does run around a lot

23 minutes ago, youngen said:

"Where he needs to be" is very subjective. For example, I believe he needs to be playing "football" in a much lower standard than ours (and ours is shite), or taking a career as a long distance runner, as granted he does run around a lot

Him and Sylla can compete for who can run the furthest. Summed it up for me when Sylla makes a run down the left hand side towards the end of the game, and due to his inability to cross a football he got tackled, he then dived in and blocked there defender from clearing it, to which fans around me said well done, and gave him praise. He blocked a football due to his inability, he’s so limited yet gets praised. Marathon runner at best. Compare him and Missilou and it’s night and day. 

On 10/5/2019 at 9:59 PM, Stainrod said:

I felt that Cheltenham were a comfortably better side than us for most of the game and there were significant spells in each half where they dominated possession though arguably didn’t really create much. That said we had enough chances to win, the Hamer headed opportunity from the free kick looked unmissable.

No particular complaints with the defence, Egert looked good enough to me, though I think we desperately need more pace in the full back positions for both attack and defensive responsibilities. Sylla and the often impressive Missilou were solid enough but we seem quite light overall in midfield with Maouche, Morais and Smith all needing to get more involved. Up front Azankpo will rarely succeed without support and I doubt will make it despite his obvious enthusiasm, too lightweight. I’d like to see Dino fit both Eagles and Fage into the team soon, not sure how, that’s Dino’s job. Look to be a mid table team to me as I do see Dino getting more out of them as the season progresses.

I do agree with part of your analysis that Cheltenham had the better possession, but yet we could have scored 2 in the second half that were open goals really !! and apart from the panic in the ist half and the header in 2nd from Cheltenham I thought they just huffed and puffed. Egert done well considering, and I thought Smith/Sylla did well in the first half, with some good runs and the pass for Morais to latch on to and score and I thought the team did well tbh. Second half we should have had the first change at 60 mins as we were getting wave after wave as the midfield tired, but one point not mentioned at all on here is the mid week match behind closed doors against Burnley who played 9/11 Prem players and I think too many players was proving a lot to Dino by exerting a lot of energy that took its toll for this match, not an excuse, but it needs to be said. First half excellent, second half mediocre and players were dropping in that last 5 minutes.

I dont slam players who give it their all, and there was quite a few who did on Saturday but there was some who hid towards the end, however, by and large the Team showed character and were working by and large for each other so i feel a bit better after watching that performance although I will probably get flamed for saying it.

On to Tuesday night and I will be there again .... :)

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Him and Sylla can compete for who can run the furthest. Summed it up for me when Sylla makes a run down the left hand side towards the end of the game, and due to his inability to cross a football he got tackled, he then dived in and blocked there defender from clearing it, to which fans around me said well done, and gave him praise. He blocked a football due to his inability, he’s so limited yet gets praised. Marathon runner at best. Compare him and Missilou and it’s night and day. 

I thought that Sylla had is best game for us on Saturday- deservedly named MotM. 

Pre match Instructions to Sylla:

’Win the ball, run forward with it and then pass it to a team mate’ - sorted 😉

8 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I thought that Sylla had is best game for us on Saturday- deservedly named MotM. 

I too thought he had a good game. We all know he's limited, that's why he's here, but what he does he does well. At least he tries to drive us forward, along with Missilou, and is still running and trying to play when many have cried enough. His problem is he's too similar to Missilou so we miss creativity playing the pair, especially at home.

I suppose we all have our favourites and he's one of mine.

27 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Sounds like fane's instructions 

54 minutes ago, Blue Feather said:

I do agree with part of your analysis that Cheltenham had the better possession, but yet we could have scored 2 in the second half that were open goals really !! and apart from the panic in the ist half and the header in 2nd from Cheltenham I thought they just huffed and puffed. Egert done well considering, and I thought Smith/Sylla did well in the first half, with some good runs and the pass for Morais to latch on to and score and I thought the team did well tbh. Second half we should have had the first change at 60 mins as we were getting wave after wave as the midfield tired, but one point not mentioned at all on here is the mid week match behind closed doors against Burnley who played 9/11 Prem players and I think too many players was proving a lot to Dino by exerting a lot of energy that took its toll for this match, not an excuse, but it needs to be said. First half excellent, second half mediocre and players were dropping in that last 5 minutes.

I dont slam players who give it their all, and there was quite a few who did on Saturday but there was some who hid towards the end, however, by and large the Team showed character and were working by and large for each other so i feel a bit better after watching that performance although I will probably get flamed for saying it.

On to Tuesday night and I will be there again .... :)

Dino says in todays interview that he needs to work on their fitness, so that they finish games well instead of fading away. I think it's a bit late in the season for that. They will be really knackered if he puts them through it during the week especially when we play two games a week. Shez used to say that fitness looks after itself when playing twice a week.

6 hours ago, youngen said:

He probably wanted to see what Adams could or couldn't do.

5 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I too thought he had a good game. We all know he's limited, that's why he's here, but what he does he does well. At least he tries to drive us forward, along with Missilou, and is still running and trying to play when many have cried enough. His problem is he's too similar to Missilou so we miss creativity playing the pair, especially at home.

I suppose we all have our favourites and he's one of mine.

Okay so this drive forward argument is always stated. But when he drives forward it mainly ends with him losing the ball, this meaning the attackers all run forward with him and then when he inevitably loses it we are out of shape. It’s pointless running forward with the ball if you just lose it. 

14 hours ago, al_bro said:

Dino says in todays interview that he needs to work on their fitness, so that they finish games well instead of fading away. I think it's a bit late in the season for that. They will be really knackered if he puts them through it during the week especially when we play two games a week. Shez used to say that fitness looks after itself when playing twice a week.

He probably wanted to see what Adams could or couldn't do.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have brought Adams on, I am all for giving the young kids a try. Im saying replacing our most senior player with our youngest player is ridiculous. Especially whilst leaving 2 players who had no influence on the game on in Maoche and Segbe.

53 minutes ago, youngen said:

I'm not saying he shouldn't have brought Adams on, I am all for giving the young kids a try. Im saying replacing our most senior player with our youngest player is ridiculous. Especially whilst leaving 2 players who had no influence on the game on in Maoche and Segbe.

If you had been at the game you would have spotted that Morais faded badly in the second half and was struggling to get into the game - he was rightly substituted and should have been taken off earlier than he was.

Maamria alluded to a general issue with certain players fading towards the end of games. Whether it is down to a lack of fitness or a mental problem, I would hope that he works hard to address the problem.

13 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

Okay so this drive forward argument is always stated. But when he drives forward it mainly ends with him losing the ball, this meaning the attackers all run forward with him and then when he inevitably loses it we are out of shape. It’s pointless running forward with the ball if you just lose it. 

To my mind driving forward with the ball, whatever the outcome, is better than just pissing about with it on the edge of your own area !

You score goals in the opposition's half not passing it square amongst your back four. 

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

To my mind driving forward with the ball, whatever the outcome, is better than just pissing about with it on the edge of your own area !

You score goals in the opposition's half not passing it square amongst your back four. 

You do but its all well and good running forward with the ball but their needs to be a pass at the end of it.

You don't score goals by just passing it about at the back, but you don't do it by running down blind alleys either. Fane used to drive forward with the ball, he played here 2 years and never scored a goal and I don't think one of his driving runs ever even resulted in an assist*

EDIT: Just checked Wiki in 80 league games for us he never registered either a goal or an assist.

7 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

You do but its all well and its all well and good running forward with the ball but their needs to be a pass at the end of it. You don't score goals by just passing it about at the back but you don't do it by running down blind alleys either. Fane used to drive forward with the ball he played here 2 years and never scored a goal and I don't think one of his driving runs ever even resulted in an assist.

Looks to me as if shooting practice isnt part of the training exercises.

It certainly wasn't when I watched an hour of training recently, it was all pass and run.

25 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

You do but its all well and good running forward with the ball but their needs to be a pass at the end of it.

You don't score goals by just passing it about at the back, but you don't do it by running down blind alleys either. Fane used to drive forward with the ball, he played here 2 years and never scored a goal and I don't think one of his driving runs ever even resulted in an assist*

EDIT: Just checked Wiki in 80 league games for us he never registered either a goal or an assist.

Thank you very much. What run by either Sylla or Fane every ended in a goal or assist, 0. It ended with them out of position and that is simply not good enough from a centre mid in my opinion. 

25 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Thank you very much. What run by either Sylla or Fane every ended in a goal or assist, 0. It ended with them out of position and that is simply not good enough from a centre mid in my opinion. 

On Saturday in the 1st half (Apparently I don't watch the games so I'm probably making this up according to some) Sylla made a good run forward onto the edge of the opposition box if he had the vision and awareness he would have noticed Smith to his right hand side and a simple slide rule pass would have put him clean through. Unfortunately like Fane he doesn't quite have that vision or composure to play that final ball. If he can find that he will be a bloody good player.

Archived