The long road ahead...

On Saturday I went with a mate to watch Oxford Utd v Rotherham and it struck me just how far we have fallen behind even decent League 1 sides.

I know that both teams are likely to there or there abouts chasing promotion at the end of the season, however we are a million miles away from their standard of football.

Passing was quick and precise in difficult windy conditions, both sets of forwards were a constant threat, and there really was some quality football played by both teams. On another day the game could very easily have finished 4 each.

I can 100% say that not a single one of our lot would get anywhere near either Oxfords or Rotherhams squads which is a sad state of affairs. We are so far behind even 2 years ago, when at least we could attract some quality loanees in. Now we only seem to get has beens or kids with no experience.

Fuck me it's depressing.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

On Saturday I went with a mate to watch Oxford Utd v Rotherham and it struck me just how far we have fallen behind even decent League 1 sides.

I know that both teams are likely to there or there abouts chasing promotion at the end of the season, however we are a million miles away from their standard of football.

Passing was quick and precise in difficult windy conditions, both sets of forwards were a constant threat, and there really was some quality football played by both teams. On another day the game could very easily have finished 4 each.

I can 100% say that not a single one of our lot would get anywhere near either Oxfords or Rotherhams squads which is a sad state of affairs. We are so far behind even 2 years ago, when at least we could attract some quality loanees in. Now we only seem to get has beens or kids with no experience.

Fuck me it's depressing.

I think the same watching the league 2 highlights 😭

26 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Fuck me it's depressing.

To think we'd of seen both off, in the past

It's truly mind numbing to see paid professionals show such disregard for our club,

Call me old school but players from my era, left it all on the pitch and that includes loanees.

28 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Fuck me it's depressing.

Sadly, I can’t disagree with any of this. In Sept 17 I went to watch us away at Portsmouth. It was Wellens’ 3rd or 4th game in charge I think. Latics absolutely played them off the park. Two goals from Doyle, Pompey pulled one back with a couple of minutes to go but basically Latics hammered them and played some fantastic attacking football. One of the best displays by us that I’ve seen since the Joe Royle days. Our team that day included Eoin Doyle, Craig Davies, Jack Byrne, Dan Gardner, Kean Bryan and Peter Clarke.

I acknowledge that not all of those players suited everyone and not all of them were ours. It is a very different landscape however now at Boundary Park.

The side that beat Portsmouth on that day would absolutely wipe the floor with our current crop. 😔⚽

1 minute ago, Gary1906 said:

Sadly, I can’t disagree with any of this. In Sept 17 I went to watch us away at Portsmouth. It was Wellens’ 3rd or 4th game in charge I think. Latics absolutely played them off the park. Two goals from Doyle, Pompey pulled one back with a couple of minutes to go but basically Latics hammered them and played some fantastic attacking football. One of the best displays by us that I’ve seen since the Joe Royle days. Our team that day included Eoin Doyle, Craig Davies, Jack Byrne, Dan Gardner, Kean Bryan and Peter Clarke.

I acknowledge that not all of those players suited everyone and not all of them were ours. It is a very different landscape however now at Boundary Park.

The side that beat Portsmouth on that day would absolutely wipe the floor with our current crop. 😔⚽

Seems incredible we went down.

Who gets the blame?

6 minutes ago, OLDHAMADE said:

To think we'd of seen both off, in the past

It's truly mind numbing to see paid professionals show such disregard for our club,

Call me old school but players from my era, left it all on the pitch and that includes loanees.

I don't know if its the actual attitude of the players thats the problem.

I actually think this lot on the whole are trying their best I just think too many of them simply aren't good enough.

26 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I don't know if its the actual attitude of the players thats the problem.

I actually think this lot on the whole are trying their best I just think too many of them simply aren't good enough.

Yep spot on. If our current crop played against the relegated team of 2 years ago my guess the'd get spanked 3 or 4 nil. The gulf in quality is huge.

The worst I ever (thought) I saw us play was back in the 2012-2013 season. Remember we didn't win for months over Christmas. Genuinely think even that squad would comfortably win against the current lot.

It's so depressing, especially for us younger fans who have no glory days to reminisce about. According to this, we're the lowest we've ever been since 1970:

1920px-OldhamAthleticFC_League_Performance.svg.png

I don't know about our players not getting into either Oxfords or Rotherhams squads.   

On Saturday, I went to watch Darlington v Harrogate.  There is not one Latics player that would get into Harrogates (National league ) starting 11.  They would beat us at a canter if we played them.

And even Darlington  ( National league North ) same league as Gateshead who ran rings round us in the FA cup, would do the same.

Our quality at the moment is at an all time low, and as has been said earlier, maybe we will fall further still.  Very very sad times indeed for our football club.

15 minutes ago, welshgaz said:

I also think AL needs to take a huge chunk of the blame. His interference will have played a huge part.

No no, the narrative is set, the season can only be defined by the last 8 games, ignoring the 4 points from 9 gained under Sheridan or all the stuff inbetween.

3 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Always felt we had 2 seasons to get back up or else it would take many years. Most worrying thing is that we don't seem to have bottomed out yet...

I hope you don't mean that next seasons crop of players will be worse than this lot.

4 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

I don't know about our players not getting into either Oxfords or Rotherhams squads.   

On Saturday, I went to watch Darlington v Harrogate.  There is not one Latics player that would get into Harrogates (National league ) starting 11.

Not true

Archived