Season suspended until April 30th

1 hour ago, stargazer said:

They are terrified of giving the go ahead and the headlines if the virus casualties spike again.

Here is a point for discussion.

At what point to you decide ( I mean the Govt) that the damage to the economy is starting to outweigh the effects of the virus? Not suggesting for one minute that football falls under this definition.

At some point we are going to have to say that the economy has to start working again and we suffer the consequences. Perhaps that is why the Nightingale Hospitals have been built because they are barely being used at the moment.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

At what point to you decide ( I mean the Govt) that the damage to the economy is starting to outweigh the effects of the virus? Not suggesting for one minute that football falls under this definition.

At some point we are going to have to say that the economy has to start working again and we suffer the consequences. Perhaps that is why the Nightingale Hospitals have been built because they are barely being used at the moment.

Pretty good view of how it might unfold here:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/23/what-would-year-physical-distancing-mean-for-uk

29 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

I think that this is recognised by the Government and also that we are close to an announcement on the easing of restrictions. It all depends on the ‘five tests’ and how as a country we measure against them.

First, that the NHS can continue to cope,

Second that the operational challenges can be met,

Third, that the daily death rate falls sustainably and consistently,

Fourth, that the rate of infection is decreasing,

and most importantly,

Fifth, that there is no risk of a second peak.’

I’d say that we are close with the first four of those. 🤔

59 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I think that this is recognised by the Government and also that we are close to an announcement on the easing of restrictions.

No chance before the next legally required three weekly review which is in a fortnight

6 hours ago, LaticMark said:

Maybe it's 6 players who are on around £90k a year?

"Oldham players have been left fuming after being effectively told to accept pay cuts worth up to 65 per cent or be made redundant."

MailOnline

This has been handled badly by Lemsagam yet again. It's probably the wording of the email and take it or leave it attitude. The article says the players know other clubs are making up the difference, but they can't do that for long, and all will eventually go down the same route as we have. If the players refusing to be furloughed think they will be better off taking redundancy and getting another club in June, they are delusional. 

2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

At what point to you decide ( I mean the Govt) that the damage to the economy is starting to outweigh the effects of the virus? 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

I think that this is recognised by the Government and also that we are close to an announcement on the easing of restrictions. It all depends on the ‘five tests’ and how as a country we measure against them.

47 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

No chance before the next legally required three weekly review which is in a fortnight

The original point for discussion was about the government recognising the damage to the economy. My post was in response to this. 

Industry and Retail have already given indications of likely timeframes. Already we have seen UK manufacturers and housebuilders announcing  plans on Thursday to kickstart production during the lockdown.
Carmaker Jaguar Land Rover said it would resume production gradually at its factory at Solihull and at its engine manufacturing plant in Wolverhampton from 18 May. It will also reopen its facilities in Slovakia and Austria.
The company said the restart of other factories, which include Castle Bromwich and Halewood, will be confirmed in due course. 

Luxury carmaker Aston Martin said it would reopen its St Athan plant on 5 May after it had temporarily suspended all manufacturing operations in the UK at the end of March. 

Furthermore House-builder Taylor Wimpey also plans to restart work on most of its building sites across England and Wales in May. 

Expect more ore to follow in the next few days.

When I say that the government will make an announcement on the easing of restrictions, it will be exactly that - an indicative timeframe and approach of ‘easing’ not ‘lifting’ of restrictions. 

1 hour ago, al_bro said:

This has been handled badly by Lemsagam yet again. It's probably the wording of the email and take it or leave it attitude. The article says the players know other clubs are making up the difference, but they can't do that for long, and all will eventually go down the same route as we have. If the players refusing to be furloughed think they will be better off taking redundancy and getting another club in June, they are delusional. 

Can't agree that Mo has handled this badly.

It was bound to happen given our finances and the players need to "wake up, smell the coffee" and suffer like the rest of the World.

No doubt they're being counselled  by the "fat cat" at the PFA so don't expect them to arrive at any logical conclusions. 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

The original point for discussion was about the government recognising the damage to the economy. My post was in response to this. 

Industry and Retail have already given indications of likely timeframes. Already we have seen UK manufacturers and housebuilders announcing  plans on Thursday to kickstart production during the lockdown.
Carmaker Jaguar Land Rover said it would resume production gradually at its factory at Solihull and at its engine manufacturing plant in Wolverhampton from 18 May. It will also reopen its facilities in Slovakia and Austria.
The company said the restart of other factories, which include Castle Bromwich and Halewood, will be confirmed in due course. 

Luxury carmaker Aston Martin said it would reopen its St Athan plant on 5 May after it had temporarily suspended all manufacturing operations in the UK at the end of March. 

Furthermore House-builder Taylor Wimpey also plans to restart work on most of its building sites across England and Wales in May. 

Expect more ore to follow in the next few days.

When I say that the government will make an announcement on the easing of restrictions, it will be exactly that - an indicative timeframe and approach of ‘easing’ not ‘lifting’ of restrictions. 

As an aside, a tour round the  Jaguar factory highly recommended. We did Castle Bromwich last year and some of the Supercar factories in Italy -  Lamborghini and Pagani were fantastic.

2 hours ago, al_bro said:

1 hour ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Can't agree that Mo has handled this badly.

It was bound to happen given our finances and the players need to "wake up, smell the coffee" and suffer like the rest of the World.

No doubt they're being counselled  by the "fat cat" at the PFA so don't expect them to arrive at any logical conclusions. 

If the wording in the email was as clearly and eloquently written as the official statement then I don’t think it has been handled badly at all. 

5 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

"at what point"? Now!! 

Destroying the global economy will kill far more than Covid but this is becoming an almost myopic issue for politicians and they are in danger of becoming prisoners of the virus...they have to see the wider picture and be brave..... we have to get the economy moving again

22 hours ago, Wardie said:

Sorry to hear that you lost your job.
Was it because of the Covid-19 outbreak and if so, can your ex firm take you back on and furlough you?

I'm lucky that my employers are telling me to stay away and will pay me.
How long that will last is anyone's guess.

Good luck.

No chance of getting my job back but thank you for the kind words

2 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Thank you! I'll be fine, just let things get to me yesterday 😔

Any time you want to vent on here, feel free. At me if you want.

Hope things take an upturn for the better soon.

Seeing the rail industry is being geared up for a significant increase in services for 18 May, just over 3 weeks away so hopefully  that's a sign things are starting up a bit and increasing your chances of finding work.

12 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

Thank you! I'll be fine, just let things get to me yesterday 😔

no worries, I am in the same boat and its bringing a whole lot of uncertainties too.

Like singe says, have a vent on here if need be or PM one of us.

Be safe

22 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Think he's lucky to have a "job" in football - should have retired a couple of years ago.

He did retire and some buffoon thought it a good idea to pay him for the privilege!!

Just going back to the take the furlough or be made redundant. 

If the club policy on redundancy is the basic one week for every year of service. Hardly any player qualifies.

Also, being made redundant means that your role is no longer required, not that the employee is not required. How can that be attributed to a player, when they may be replaced? 

25 minutes ago, al_bro said:

If the club policy on redundancy is the basic one week for every year of service. Hardly any player qualifies.

Also, being made redundant means that your role is no longer required, not that the employee is not required. How can that be attributed to a player, when they may be replaced? 

Not hard. Just say they needed someone with different skills 

On 23 April 2020 at 8:57 PM, Ritchierich said:

"at what point"? Now!! 

Destroying the global economy will kill far more than Covid but this is becoming an almost myopic issue for politicians and they are in danger of becoming prisoners of the virus...they have to see the wider picture and be brave..... we have to get the economy moving again

Morning, Donald 😬

Just seen a BBC news article saying Gov working with premier league to get the season back up and running as soon as possible, behind close doors.

I will presume players spitting on the pitch will have to be stopped too

51 minutes ago, underdog said:

Just seen a BBC news article saying Gov working with premier league to get the season back up and running as soon as possible, behind close doors.

I will presume players spitting on the pitch will have to be stopped too

Indeed a disgusting habit i am just relieved David Seamen no longer plays. 

18 hours ago, al_bro said:

It's academic for quite a few, as their contracts end on June 30th!

20. Zeus de la Paz (2020 plus option)

2. Zak Mills (2020)

6. Jamie Stott (2020 plus option)

15. Javid Swaby-Neavin (probably 2020 plus option)

29. Tomáš Egert (2020 plus option)

7. Johan Branger-Engone (2020)

10. Mohamed Maouche (2020)

11. Gevaro Nepomuceno (2020)

17. Christopher Missilou (2020)

24. Mohamad Sylla (2020)

25. Chris McCann (2020 plus option)

16. Scott Wilson (2020)

19. Désiré Sègbè Azankpo (2020 plus option)

27. Kielen Adams (2020 plus option)

55. Zak Dearnley (2020 plus option)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived