Season suspended until April 30th

Financial issues inevitable for quite a few clubs??

Coronavirus: English Football League fixtures to be suspended until 4 April

Friday 13 March 2020 10:41, UK

The English Football League is to suspend all fixtures until 4 April, Sky News understands.

It comes as Premier League chiefs meet to discuss the top division's response to the coronavirus outbreak, as Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta and Chelsea star Callum Hudson-Odoi were diagnosed with COVID-19.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-english-football-league-fixtures-to-be-suspended-until-4-april-11956889

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

League suspension could have 'devastating impact'

c2293060-8218-4892-b1ef-1c3f540ae683.png

BBC Radio 5 Live

Brian Caldwell, Shrewsbury Town chief executive, on the financial impact of postponements or cancellations: "We’ve got five home games left, you are probably looking at £200,000-£250,000 would be lost by not having the income from not just tickets but bars, hospitality, programming income and everything else that we at this level all rely on.

“It could have a devastating effect on some 

I think it is worth saying this again:

Daft idea!  The UK Government's scientific based advice is that games should not be cancelled.  In fact you are less likely to catch Covid-19 going to a football match than you are going out to meet with friends in a busy pub/wine bar/coffee shop.  It has been decided that Covid-19 can not be contained and for the safety of our society the population has to build up resistance - in other words people have to catch the virus.  If we don't then there is likely to be another epidemic later in the year.

The difficulty is that if we do nothing too many people will catch it at the same time and the NHS will not cope hence the plan to delay - it is not a plan to stop you getting Covid-19 - it is a plan to extend the duration of the epidemic so that the numbers needing intensive care at any one time are reduced and are spread from now into the summer.

If the UK Government's scientific predictions for the course of the virus are correct there is no rational for a suspension to only 4th April.  The EFL will then have to suspend matches once again because by 4th April there will be many more people with the virus and the end result would mean that no games will be played until after the beginning of the next season.  So what then EFL?

The sensible science based thing to do is to keep on playing.

54 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Where you going? 

Just popping down to Latics.

Why??

I want to make sure Abdallah has my money before we go into quarantine. 

The double digit IQ crew will buy regardless, but anyone else...

2 hours ago, tGWB said:

BIG financial implications for the likes of Latics 
Swindon likely to have brought 1200-1500 fans. 
No games but players and staff will still need paying

poor travellers- only took 500+ to Carlisle — more like 600 to 700 😳

19 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

poor travellers- only took 500+ to Carlisle — more like 600 to 700 😳

Come on BigDog

Thats Carlisle and a 550 mile round trip to nowhere 

Many more will surely want to travel to the sun drenched mecca of lower league football that is Oldham, the heart of the Industrial Revolution 

4 hours ago, Hands on said:

I think it is worth saying this again:

Daft idea!  The UK Government's scientific based advice is that games should not be cancelled.  In fact you are less likely to catch Covid-19 going to a football match than you are going out to meet with friends in a busy pub/wine bar/coffee shop.  It has been decided that Covid-19 can not be contained and for the safety of our society the population has to build up resistance - in other words people have to catch the virus.  If we don't then there is likely to be another epidemic later in the year.

The difficulty is that if we do nothing too many people will catch it at the same time and the NHS will not cope hence the plan to delay - it is not a plan to stop you getting Covid-19 - it is a plan to extend the duration of the epidemic so that the numbers needing intensive care at any one time are reduced and are spread from now into the summer.

If the UK Government's scientific predictions for the course of the virus are correct there is no rational for a suspension to only 4th April.  The EFL will then have to suspend matches once again because by 4th April there will be many more people with the virus and the end result would mean that no games will be played until after the beginning of the next season.  So what then EFL?

The sensible science based thing to do is to keep on playing.

A fair assessment of the situation apart from the concerns the clubs’ or the EFL may have over their close knit players and staff being quarantined or decimated. Ultimately, unable to fulfil their fixtures.  

10 minutes ago, underdog said:

ouch....Two Saturday home games will impact on revenue this month.

Will they make them night matches to ensure a timely end of the season?

Fixture list congestion in coming....

There’s no guarantee that things will start again in April, can see this season being declared null and void and start again in August...if we’re still in business. 

3 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

There’s no guarantee that things will start again in April, can see this season being declared null and void and start again in August...if we’re still in business. 

Agreed.  As the virus will supposedly be hitting peak mid-June, I can't see any football before July.  But then what about player contracts that expire on June 30?

I think it'll be declared void too.

Just now, nzlatic said:

Agreed.  As the virus will supposedly be hitting peak mid-June, I can't see any football before July.  But then what about player contracts that expire on June 30?

I think it'll be declared void too.

If it carries on into the summer, then it will impact onto next season and beyond...

Can see the season being abandoned around Easter. You’ve got to feel for the Liverpool & Leeds fans of this world if it does 🤣

9 minutes ago, Dick_Valentine said:

If it carries on into the summer, then it will impact onto next season and beyond...

Can see the season being abandoned around Easter. You’ve got to feel for the Liverpool & Leeds fans of this world if it does 🤣

l started laughing and then remembered lve got about nine bets on swindon 😂

I can't see any reason to start up again in April as the situation will be worse and they know it. Instead of suspending games now it would have been better to wait until April, and get as many games in as possible. At that point the season could be ended, and promotion and relegation settled with all clubs knowing that would happen. Suspending now is a knee jerk and stupid idea. They should have followed medical and government advice.

8 minutes ago, al_bro said:

I can't see any reason to start up again in April as the situation will be worse and they know it. Instead of suspending games now it would have been better to wait until April, and get as many games in as possible. At that point the season could be ended, and promotion and relegation settled with all clubs knowing that would happen. Suspending now is a knee jerk and stupid idea. They should have followed medical and government advice.

You can't relegate teams with games still to play, surely they'd have to complete the fixtures or declare the full season null and void. Either way it would be a legal minefield.

14 minutes ago, Millibob said:

Flu killed 17,000 people in the UK last year - I can't remember any games being called off - Just saying!:hanged:

It would be in the 100s of thousands, if not millions, if the majority of people didn't have immunity to flu. Look at 1918 to see how many people died of it. No-one has immunity to this virus.

Archived