MATCH: Exeter (a)

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Magic Mikey said:

You actually said one in three games. Don't worry, I'll do the maths to get the pro rata target at the end of the season. 

I wouldn’t expect anything less but we might need a recount and to take it to the Supreme Court .....if a player comes on the 84th minute and there are 4 added minutes has he played 6 minutes or 10 minutes 😀

Well that was as great as it was unexpected!

It was a really good game overall, they had more control of the ball as you'd expect but we looked very good on the break and offered a threat throughout.  Credit to Kewell who gave us a really solid defensive shape, we don't really have a team that I have faith will see a game out, so a good shape was crucial.  We gave the ball away a lot and quickly in the second half but they didn't really punish it.

Lawlor - We've definitely upgraded on last year in the keeper department (not that difficult I know).  Even when conceding the goal he made a great save from point-blank range immediately before, as well as a very good tip around the post in the 2nd half.  He punches a little more often than I'd like but generally makes the right decisions and looks confident.

Fage - better than Hamer on current form and links well with Bahamboula.  Not great on the ball but has a good engine and got forward and back well all game.
Diarra - aside from the goal which he defended terribly for, he had a fairly good league debut.  Clarke if fit would be an upgrade, but he's quick which helps alongside Piergianni.
Piergianni - very glad he came back in for this game and he marshalled the defence well.  He kept Bowman quiet and when he did get a great chance, Pidge was there to block it on the line.
CBJ - got better as the match went on and looked calm defensively towards the end of the game.  He clearly has ability, I suppose if he showed it consistently he'd be playing at a higher level.

Ntambwe – He’s a downgrade on McCann, but he's exactly the player that our squad has needed and I'd go as far as saying the hardest player for us to replace in the current squad.  Sits in front of the back four, breaking up play and getting in the way of attacks.  The passing ability isn't essential for his role, as long he has someone alongside him who can pass well.

Bahamboula – really glad that we gave him a lot of the ball in the first half against Sparkes as defensively he's their weak link.  Great dribble for Blackwood's goal and I like that he can mix up the tempo when taking players on.  He ran out of steam quite early and subbing him ahead of Tuesday was probably a smart move.
Keillor-Dunn – he pretty much played as an advanced central midfielder and I think it gets the best out of him.  Which is strange because usually players who play there need a basic level of passing ability which he definitely doesn't possess!  But he's quick, covers a lot of ground and isn't a liability defensively so he could be a good option in this role for away games.  Huge credit to him for his awareness for Blackwood's goal with that dummy, he's much better off the ball than he is on it!
Garrity – much improved from last week, he is a willing runner and gets forward well.  He gives the ball away too much for a central midfielder, but he has his uses for certain games.
Blackwood – again, much improved from last week (admittedly hard not to be) and proved me wrong!  Still a long way from being the finished article and can drift out of the game a bit too often, but he brought the ball out of defence well to start counter attacks and the goal shows that he does possess some talent.

Rowe – found it difficult to get the better of their two centre backs often, but led the line really well and could've bagged an extra goal.  I can't remember the last time we had a player who possessed the ability and confidence to do what he did for that free kick.  Amazing.  Man of the Match simply for that.

Subs
Grant – the best compliment I can give him is that he infuriated my Exeter-supporting brother!  He slowed the tempo down and won a lot of soft free-kicks to take the sting out of the game.  He has flaws but he's a useful player to have in the squad.
Barnett – not the greatest player, but energetic, got forward well and also held his position well defensively at the end.
Jombati – a good little cameo, almost forgotten about him to be honest!  He's still quick enough to get up and back from right back, certainly would prefer him to Hamer at present, maybe Fage too.
Whelan - didn't have a lot of time, but a necessary replacement for Garrity who was on a yellow.

Exeter were good and had more of the ball, but after their fast start to the second half I expected them to really turn the screw later on, yet it never happened.  Our threat on the counter certainly gave them something to think about though.

So happy that it all came together today!  Really hope we get more consistent as the season goes on.  I'm not a massive fan of Kewell, he’s shown naivety and seems to believe his own hype, but I'm not convinced that anyone who would realistically replace him would do noticeably better, so hopefully him getting a bit of time would help stabilise things around the club.

Both of our goals would not look out of place in the greedy league.

The build up for Blackwood had been coming for 10 mins and was excellent. Sparkes had been Bamboozled for that time and had no idea where to postion himself.

One could almost be forgiven for thinking that DKD had an airshot at first view, but Blackwood's finish was really well executed. 

Rowe's freekick was sublime and unfathomable to my tiny brain.

That first goal, shows the basic high level of talent I've been talking about. Ntambwes pass to Bahamboula opening up his foot and bisecting two players with millimetres to spare on both players is absolute class. Importantly, Boozle doesn't let the pass down and goes the olde pass n move. Rowe not wanting to be outdone by Ntambwe wants to show he's got a bit too w a little outside of the footer which doesn't quiteee come off but luckily it's to Boozle and it's early so he's still in the game. DKD great awareness not to ignore Blackwoods shout and a fairly simple but lovely looking finish. Angin them ones cos if you get it just wrong it looks like a pass back to the keeper, but cos the pass was for DKD gives Blackwood the chance to run onto the shot and simply pass the ball into the net.

That goal will give HK a massive grin and a level up for all the players involved, keep doing what you're doing etc.

As an aside for those who don't know, Ntambwe being Belgian so therefore a baller by default, spent a lot of time round these parts as a kid so knows the score and won't be having any of the cultural or language problems we have seen from our random signings. He will be making it far easier for fellow randomers like Diarra to settle into life in the backbone of Britain.

ALL ABOARDDDDD ⛴⛴⛴

11 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

It was a really good game overall, they had more control of the ball as you'd expect but we looked very good on the break and offered a threat throughout.  Credit to Kewell who gave us a really solid defensive shape, we don't really have a team that I have faith will see a game out, so a good shape was crucial.  We gave the ball away a lot and quickly in the second half but they didn't really punish it.

Lawlor - We've definitely upgraded on last year in the keeper department (not that difficult I know).  Even when conceding the goal he made a great save from point-blank range immediately before, as well as a very good tip around the post in the 2nd half.  He punches a little more often than I'd like but generally makes the right decisions and looks confident.

Fage - better than Hamer on current form and links well with Bahamboula.  Not great on the ball but has a good engine and got forward and back well all game.
Diarra - aside from the goal which he defended terribly for, he had a fairly good league debut.  Clarke if fit would be an upgrade, but he's quick which helps alongside Piergianni.
Piergianni - very glad he came back in for this game and he marshalled the defence well.  He kept Bowman quiet and when he did get a great chance, Pidge was there to block it on the line.
CBJ - got better as the match went on and looked calm defensively towards the end of the game.  He clearly has ability, I suppose if he showed it consistently he'd be playing at a higher level.

Ntambwe – He’s a downgrade on McCann, but he's exactly the player that our squad has needed and I'd go as far as saying the hardest player for us to replace in the current squad.  Sits in front of the back four, breaking up play and getting in the way of attacks.  The passing ability isn't essential for his role, as long he has someone alongside him who can pass well.

Bahamboula – really glad that we gave him a lot of the ball in the first half against Sparkes as defensively he's their weak link.  Great dribble for Blackwood's goal and I like that he can mix up the tempo when taking players on.  He ran out of steam quite early and subbing him ahead of Tuesday was probably a smart move.
Keillor-Dunn – he pretty much played as an advanced central midfielder and I think it gets the best out of him.  Which is strange because usually players who play there need a basic level of passing ability which he definitely doesn't possess!  But he's quick, covers a lot of ground and isn't a liability defensively so he could be a good option in this role for away games.  Huge credit to him for his awareness for Blackwood's goal with that dummy, he's much better off the ball than he is on it!
Garrity – much improved from last week, he is a willing runner and gets forward well.  He gives the ball away too much for a central midfielder, but he has his uses for certain games.
Blackwood – again, much improved from last week (admittedly hard not to be) and proved me wrong!  Still a long way from being the finished article and can drift out of the game a bit too often, but he brought the ball out of defence well to start counter attacks and the goal shows that he does possess some talent.

Rowe – found it difficult to get the better of their two centre backs often, but led the line really well and could've bagged an extra goal.  I can't remember the last time we had a player who possessed the ability and confidence to do what he did for that free kick.  Amazing.  Man of the Match simply for that.

Subs
Grant – the best compliment I can give him is that he infuriated my Exeter-supporting brother!  He slowed the tempo down and won a lot of soft free-kicks to take the sting out of the game.  He has flaws but he's a useful player to have in the squad.
Barnett – not the greatest player, but energetic, got forward well and also held his position well defensively at the end.
Jombati – a good little cameo, almost forgotten about him to be honest!  He's still quick enough to get up and back from right back, certainly would prefer him to Hamer at present, maybe Fage too.
Whelan - didn't have a lot of time, but a necessary replacement for Garrity who was on a yellow.

Exeter were good and had more of the ball, but after their fast start to the second half I expected them to really turn the screw later on, yet it never happened.  Our threat on the counter certainly gave them something to think about though.

So happy that it all came together today!  Really hope we get more consistent as the season goes on.  I'm not a massive fan of Kewell, he’s shown naivety and seems to believe his own hype, but I'm not convinced that anyone who would realistically replace him would do noticeably better, so hopefully him getting a bit of time would help stabilise things around the club.

Good post but not sure where the  ‘seems to believe his own hype’ comment about Kewell comes from?🤔

In his interviews he come across as a balanced character acknowledging that he has made mistakes in the past. He speaks of what he is trying to do in training and believes that, albeit slowly, players are taking things on board.

Yes he has made mistakes but let’s not forget that we are only thirteen league games into the season. And if yesterday showed us anything it highlighted how inconsistent footballers can be. Eight of the starting eleven turned in that woeful performance a week earlier. 

Your point about giving Kewell more time to hopefully stabilise things is spot on. Let’s hope he gets that time and let’s hope that the players find more consistency.

14 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Perhaps time for the fanbase to rein in the hysterics after every defeat and give the coach the space to try and build something.

I don’t think the “hysterics” are just down to defeats - the performance against Scunthorpe was disgusting and no amount of wins at Exeter will change that.  If the same happens on Tuesday people have every right to be pissed off.

The shift everyone put in yesterday just makes the Scunthorpe’s and the Morecambe’s even more infuriating 

40 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Good post but not sure where the  ‘seems to believe his own hype’ comment about Kewell comes from?🤔

I think it comes from some comments to some national media outlets and beyond about using us as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.  I have no problem with him wanting to be ambitious and working at the highest level that he can, but he's got a lot of work to do at this level before he can think about moving higher up.

To be fair, his iFollow interviews are a lot more down to earth and he does try to explain his thought process pretty well, even if what happens on the pitch doesn't always add up to it.

One thing we seem to have at the minute is the ability to score, something that has been lacking for more years than I can remember.  Unfortunately we have the second worse record of goals conceded and that is why anything above mid table is unlikely this season.

2 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

Ntambwe being Belgian so therefore a baller by default, 

I wouldn't go that far 😉

But he was a regular in the same Belgium U21 side as Batshuayi, Thorgan Hazard, Praet, Tielemans, Carrasco... 

Like Wheater, you don't end up playing with players like that if you don't have some basic skills.

As you said, not just a random fifth division reject.

2 minutes ago, SweeperKeeper said:

I wouldn't go that far 😉

But he was a regular in the same Belgium U21 side as Batshuayi, Thorgan Hazard, Praet, Tielemans, Carrasco... 

Like Wheater, you don't end up playing with players like that if you don't have some basic skills.

As you said, not just a random fifth division reject.

Anyone know why he couldn't get a game at Macc last season?

Not seen enough of him to form an opinion yet!

13 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Subs

Enjoyed youre report, thanks 

52 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

One thing we seem to have at the minute is the ability to score, something that has been lacking for more years than I can remember.  Unfortunately we have the second worse record of goals conceded and that is why anything above mid table is unlikely this season.

Score more than your opponents you normally win matches. I must say we certainly got our act together yesterday after conceding that sloppy goal and it was cracking defensive performance Marshalled by Carl Periganni who was my man of the match..

13 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Anyone know why he couldn't get a game at Macc last season?

Not seen enough of him to form an opinion yet!

He left Macclesfield for "personal reasons".

Given it was Macc, money might have been the main issue - particularly if he had appearance bonuses.

58 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I think it comes from some comments to some national media outlets and beyond about using us as a stepping stone to bigger and better things.  I have no problem with him wanting to be ambitious and working at the highest level that he can, but he's got a lot of work to do at this level before he can think about moving higher up.

To be fair, his iFollow interviews are a lot more down to earth and he does try to explain his thought process pretty well, even if what happens on the pitch doesn't always add up to it.

I was delighted for Harry Kewell yesterday  I do like our counter attack football under him, everytime we break we look like we are going to score and its a forwards dream to play in that system.We certainly have the makings of a very good side. 

Rowe says in is interview that he has had a word with HK. Telling him that he needs to play games as he struggled being in and out of the side. Credit to HK he seems to have listened and the team is now benefitting. 

That was typical for a team going for a record number of undefeated games. They threw everything at us, but it just wouldn't go for them.

Very good team performance from us. More ability in midfield and we'd be top 6 easy, if not top 2 with our ability to score goals.

5 hours ago, al_bro said:

Rowe says in is interview that he has had a word with HK. Telling him that he needs to play games as he struggled being in and out of the side. Credit to HK he seems to have listened and the team is now benefitting. 

That was typical for a team going for a record number of undefeated games. They threw everything at us, but it just wouldn't go for them.

Very good team performance from us. More ability in midfield and we'd be top 6 easy, if not top 2 with our ability to score goals.

It’s shouldn’t even be a debate. Rowe leads the line every game 

On 11/22/2020 at 10:02 AM, TheBigDog said:

In his interviews he come across as a balanced character acknowledging that he has made mistakes in the past. He speaks of what he is trying to do in training and believes that, albeit slowly, players are taking things on board.

Yes he has made mistakes but let’s not forget that we are only thirteen league games into the season. And if yesterday showed us anything it highlighted how inconsistent footballers can be. Eight of the starting eleven turned in that woeful performance a week earlier. 

Your point about giving Kewell more time to hopefully stabilise things is spot on. Let’s hope he gets that time and let’s hope that the players find more consistency.

This is the fascinating, albeit infuriating (as chaddyexile says) thing. And it happens at all levels of the game, not just in L2.

I don't often feel sorry for professional footballers, who let's face it are being paid to play the game we all love and who can be very well paid the higher in the game they manage to go. But looking at our squad: it's been largely thrown together over a short period, many of the players have joined a lunatic owner and still-novice manager, arrived in a high-covid area, many don't speak English as their first language or know much about the area, they are living in a bubble with little or no social life, and on top of everything they play in empty stadiums, no atmosphere, no fans to cheer them on, and have to cope with criticism on here when they stuff up (and I'm as guilty as anyone at ranting over poor performances).Yes, many people are worse off in their lives and suffering far more, but that's not directly relevant to this squad at the end of the day. 

All I'm saying is it's not an ideal situation but maybe, just maybe, they and the manager (and no point sacking HK while 🤡 remains in charge) are starting to turn a corner. If they can just put in the effort that was on show v Hampton and against Exeter every week then I can live with draws or defeats, because we know they're not top quality players. And the more games we can win, the more chance of that becoming  a habit. We're just under a third of the way through the season and there is still all to play for.

Archived