MATCH: vs Forest Green Rovers (A) 02/01/21

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irrespective of whether our injured strikers are fit for Saturday, I just hope that the eleven that do start are up for the contest from the first minute. We often seem to begin games sluggishly and, as evidenced in the Harrogate match, seem to be yards slower than our opponents.

Also, collectively the players are to blame for two technically poor performances over Xmas. Possession is given away cheaply and even the most basic skills are too often lacking. 

And yet despite this we can play some slick counter attacking football that is a delight to watch. In recent months we have had the forwards on the pitch who can put the ball away when chances are created. If Rowe, McAleny are still injured then we will struggle to score so it’s vital that we don’t invite unnecessary pressure.

Kewell’s options are limited by injury and suspension and this game probably comes too early for any January additions. He cannot be too impressed with Diarra and Hamer given the limited game time he has given to both. 

With Clarke’s loan due to end on January 20 we have to hope that Jameson and Badan are properly fit and ready to compete for a starting place.

Our Away form does give me hope that we can get something from the game but it’s going to be difficult. 

1 hour ago, boyinthesnow said:

Does Clarke's loan need to be extended for him to play?

No. According to the Arsenal web site his last game would be Jan 16th. against Walsall.

HK says Rowe and McAleny are both fit again.

3 minutes ago, al_bro said:

No. According to the Arsenal web site his last game would be Jan 16th. against Walsall.

HK says Rowe and McAleny are both fit again.

He’s been saying Rowe is fit for the last few weeks. 

Lose this and things will start to look the usual 15th-17th place finish again. 

4 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

He’s been saying Rowe is fit for the last few weeks. 

No - he’s been saying that Rowe is ‘close’ for the last few weeks. 

Interested to see which two of three (Rowe, Dearnley, McAleny) he will start with 🤔

What? No... he couldn’t could he?

6 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

No - he’s been saying that Rowe is ‘close’ for the last few weeks. 

Interested to see which two of three (Rowe, Dearnley, McAleny) he will start with 🤔

What? No... he couldn’t could he?

Those three up top Baha in behind we would be very good. Never happen tho 

I'd go for:

Lawlor

Jombati

Clarke

Piergianni

CBJ

Ntambwe

DKD

Garrity

Bahamboula

Rowe

Dearnley

Now I know that the midfield three can barely pass the ball 5 yards between them, but they are all mobile and willing runners which would work well on the counter attack for a game like today.

I'm assuming that McAleny is injured and Rowe is fit.  If both are available then I'd start them both with Dearnley on the bench.

It's a toss up between Jombati or Fage at right back to be honest.

5 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

I'd go for:

Lawlor

Jombati

Clarke

Piergianni

CBJ

Ntambwe

DKD

Garrity

Bahamboula

Rowe

Dearnley

Now I know that the midfield three can barely pass the ball 5 yards between them, but they are all mobile and willing runners which would work well on the counter attack for a game like today.

I'm assuming that McAleny is injured and Rowe is fit.  If both are available then I'd start them both with Dearnley on the bench.

It's a toss up between Jombati or Fage at right back to be honest.

👍

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Lawlor

Fage

Clarke

Piergianni

CBJ

Ntambwe

McAlmont

Bahambolou

Rowe

McAleny

Dearnley...

Much happier with this selection, which relies on Alfie having a great game.

Ntambwe has impressed, whereas Ben Garrity is simply not justifying his place. I dont have a problem with DKD, but his touch can be awful, gifting possession too often.

I suspect that Andrea Badan will feature as soon as he is fit.

At right back, Jombati looks good, while not offering the attacking threat of Fage.

Think Harry Clarke and Pidge will be run ragged today.

7 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Lawlor

Fage

Clarke

Piergianni

CBJ

Ntambwe

McAlmont

Bahambolou

Rowe

McAleny

Dearnley...

I’m sure that side would be great in possession and a real attacking threat but a major concern without the ball!

It offers zero protection for our suspect defence FGR are a good passing side and I suspect we would be overrun in midfield.

16 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

Lawlor

Fage

Clarke

Piergianni

CBJ

Ntambwe

McAlmont

Bahambolou

Rowe

McAleny

Dearnley...

Apart from us agreeing to disagree about Fage/Jombati, that is our strongest line up. Trouble is, I don't see HK starting with it as it leaves very weak options on the bench.

30 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott2 said:

IMO the first thing we should be doing in this transfer window is sending him back to Blackpool. An absolutely dreadful player...

I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want him back if they've been watching some of his "performances".

Its snowing in herefordshire at 10am. hope it doesn't go a bit further south or the game may be in danger.

After listening to HK yesterday he did say Rowe and Macaleney would be fit. Reading between the lines maybe only one of them will be starting and the other on the bench. My guess would be Rowe starting. I think the Bournemouth game will not affect his selection for this one.

Therefore.  Lawlor,      Jombati,Clarke, Pidge,CBJ,      Ntambwe,      Macalmont,Garrity,Bambi,     Rowe,Dearnley. 

Playing Keillor-Dunn and Garrity together in the middle just doesn't work.  You can't have both centre midfielders with no touch and no passing ability, our forwards never see the ball and we come under pressure.

I can see Keillor-Dunn as a backup on the wing.  Garrity just isn't technically up to this level, however hard he tries.

17 hours ago, kev1969 said:

Yes Baden looked good till he got injured..

He's becoming better and better the longer he doesn't play though.

Reminds me a lot of Egert and Barnett in that respect.

I want to see him play, but I don't think we should get expectations too high based on three halves of league football.

Archived