Good outcome for this season?

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Andy b said:

It would be interesting to understand the demographics of our fan base. In theory there should be a high proportion of people in their say late 30s to mid 40s who started supporting the team due to the royle era and who might otherwise have started watching another team back then if it wasn’t for our success and so wouldn’t be Latics fans today 

I actually think that is what underpins our very good away followings. 

I was lucky, my dad started taking me at that time and I was hooked by it all. People of that generation who have young kids need to be given a reason to pass it on right now. My worry is in another 10 years or so the young ones will be more likely to be children of parents who have only seen the bad times. Would make growing the fan base so much harder. 

25 minutes ago, Andy b said:

It would be interesting to understand the demographics of our fan base. In theory there should be a high proportion of people in their say late 30s to mid 40s who started supporting the team due to the royle era and who might otherwise have started watching another team back then if it wasn’t for our success and so wouldn’t be Latics fans today 

I actually think that is what underpins our very good away followings. 

I think the information was released a while ago (possibly under Corney..) and it revealed we had one of the highest proportion of "Senior" season ticket holders in the country...

5 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I think the information was released a while ago (possibly under Corney..) and it revealed we had one of the highest proportion of "Senior" season ticket holders in the country...

Yeah. I see that when at BP. Am

convinced that there are a good number that go away but not home 

17 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Yeah. I see that when at BP. Am

convinced that there are a good number that go away but not home 

Away games are fun.  Home games aren't.  It's a day on the beer.

I would say there's a massive interest in the club, but in terms of getting bigger support at home, the whole package needs to be more attractive.

One off big games and away days - there's loads who would be up for that.  Committing to going to Boundary Park every other week to sit in a crumbling ground "for the football" is a different and much harder sell..

2 minutes ago, JoeP said:

Away games are fun.  Home games aren't.  It's a day on the beer.

I would say there's a massive interest in the club, but in terms of getting bigger support at home, the whole package needs to be more attractive.

One off big games and away days - there's loads who would be up for that.  Committing to going to Boundary Park every other week to sit in a crumbling ground "for the football" is a different and much harder sell..

You’ve hit the nail on the head there. 

19 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Remember we didn't even sell our for the Everton cup game a few years ago after seeing off Liverpool 

Just now, oafc 123 said:

Also neither QPR or Blackpool at home in the play offs 

The fans that went to these games would also have been EVERY Latics fan, give or take a few.  Every Latics fan on the full spectrum of interest would have been there. 

There's no way I'm missing us play Liverpool at home, but I can't commit to a season ticket and go every week.  I'd say there's thousands in a similar position.

There's no dormant support, just waiting for us to get better. 

We need to sell ourselves better in the community and encourage new people along.  As I say - tough gig for someone....

5 minutes ago, oafc 123 said:

Also neither QPR or Blackpool at home in the play offs 

Crowds against qpr and Blackpool are better measures of potential as these games only attracted ‘fans’ (ie they weren’t exactly high profile glamour ties) and wouldn’t attract loads of neutrals like the Liverpool / Everton games. 

6 minutes ago, JoeP said:

The fans that went to these games would also have been EVERY Latics fan, give or take a few.  Every Latics fan on the full spectrum of interest would have been there. 

There's no way I'm missing us play Liverpool at home, but I can't commit to a season ticket and go every week.  I'd say there's thousands in a similar position.

We need to sell ourselves better in the community and encourage new people along.  As I say - tough gig for someone....

Agree there is no dormant support.

The point for me is the number of people who go to say 5 or fewer home games across the season? I would guess there are maybe 4000 of these. At any one average game (ie excluding those that have some natural pull) you might get 900 such people in attendance. 

Increase their frequency of attendance to 10 games a season and that will mean a 900 person boost to your average crowd.

the increase in uptake from a better offer on the pitch would come from this group attending more often rather than new fans coming out of the woodwork in my view 

1 minute ago, Andy b said:

Agree there is no dormant support.

The point for me is the number of people who go to say 5 or fewer home games across the season? I would guess there are maybe 4000 of these. At any one average game (ie excluding those that have some natural pull) you might get 900 such people in attendance. 

Increase their frequency of attendance to 10 games a season and that will mean a 900 person boost to your average crowd.

the increase in uptake from a better offer on the pitch would come from this group attending more often rather than new fans coming out of the woodwork in my view 

And it’s not just the offer on the pitch which will make this group more inclined to go more often. The facilities, a supporters bar etc are all really important. This group are the low hanging fruit 

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

That's it in a nutshell JoeP

"There's no dormant support just waiting for us to get better"

To have any chance of capturing the hearts and minds of a new generation of supporters, the Club needs to win them when they are really young

The club needs to offer heavily discounted ticket prices for kids so that Mums & Dads can bring them to games

I would even consider free entry for U12s when accompanied by a parent 'kind of offer'

U12 -U15 maybe £2 

Any football supporter knows you're lumbered with your team from a very early age, no matter how bad/good they are

Just like us lot :chubb:

4 minutes ago, tGWB said:

To have any chance of capturing the hearts and minds of a new generation of supporters, the Club needs to win them when they are really young

The club needs to offer heavily discounted ticket prices for kids so that Mums & Dads can bring them to games

I would even consider free entry for U12s when accompanied by a parent 'kind of offer'

U12 -U15 maybe £2 

Any football supporter knows you're lumbered with your team from a very early age, no matter how bad/good they are

The bigger problem than getting them in though, is getting them to stay.

13,000 when it's free on Celebration Sunday, but there's a good chance thousands of those haven't been back since.

That said, even the £2 in games that they had didn't have a particularly good uptake, which suggests even the initial interest might not be there.

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

13,000 when it's free on Celebration Sunday, but there's a good chance thousands of those haven't been back since.

That said, even the £2 in games that they had didn't have a particularly good uptake, which suggests even the initial interest might not be there.

Pricing is the wrong thing to focus on. It needs to be right, yes, but it won’t make a material difference on its own. 

11 minutes ago, tGWB said:

U12 -U15 maybe £2 

I think the idea of being lumbered with your team from an early age is a fallacy. The vast majority don’t develop the level of emotional connection which is needed for that. 

25 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It gets scarier the more we debate it 

Home form, Fortress BP would be the foundation of course 

12 minutes ago, Andy b said:

I think the idea of being lumbered with your team from an early age is a fallacy. The vast majority don’t develop the level of emotional connection which is needed for that. 

I'd like to think that's not true.  Damn sure I'm going to try and lumber it onto my kids like my Dad did to me and I would guess many other Latics fans would do the same..

23 minutes ago, Andy b said:

okay Andy 

how many people do you know who have swapped clubs ? 

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Those are the ones who said they'd be back as soon as SC left...

Getting relegated straight away wouldn’t have helped. Even so, season ticket sales went up for ALs first full season in charge. He pissed that away pretty sharpish. 

1 hour ago, Barry Bosnian said:

I would suggest the majority of kids who watched us in 1991 are now City/United/Liverpool fans.

Come on Barry 

Am not having that any kid who saw Latics become 2nd Division Champions and spend a couple of seasons in the Premier League are anything other than Latics fans 

5 minutes ago, tGWB said:

Come on Barry 

Am not having that any kid who saw Latics become 2nd Division Champions and spend a couple of seasons in the Premier League are anything other than Latics fans 

Really? I was a teenager around that time and nearly all the lads I know who were Latics fans back then now support City or United. There are a couple of us who still support Latics, but most switched clubs a long time ago.

This lad is just one of many: 

Archived