MATCH: vs Ipswich Town (A) 06/11/21 #FACup 1st Round 🏆

2 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

They’ll pick Solihull v Wigan ahead of us

Is it just one game that's picked historically or do BT and BBC show a replay?

Sounds like we matched them today.  Thought it might be another Brentford.  Lets hope they can raise their game back in the relative mundanity of League Two..

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

They’ll pick Solihull v Wigan ahead of us

1 hour ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

I imagine Wigan and Solihull will be nailed on for TV 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Could be £75,000 to AL's delight if the replay is shown live 

Think sometimes there are 2 replays on TV at this stage. But if either Bolton v Stockport, or possibly Dale v Notts County go to a replay they will also be ahead of us in the queue. 

So doubt we will get a replay on TV. 

Well that was a pleasant surprise and as I live in an area dominated by Ipswich fans something of a relief!

Started very badly and the goal was no surprise.  Leutwiler made a couple of decent if unorthodox (actually, downright weird) saves and I dread to think what would have happened if we'd gone two down in short order; it looked grim.  Bu the game settled and for a good ten minutes before the equaliser we had some good openings without making the keeper do any work.  Fage was stood back on his heels for a couple of decent balls from Bahamboula (no point having pace if you are stood still!) but made the best chance of the half with a perfect cross that Hope should have buried.

When the  goal came it was the move of the match although as I could only recognise about three players I can't really decide who to credit other than Keillor-Dunn for a a superb finish. 

I imagine the Ipswich manager gave them a rocket at half time as they had been so superior early on and shoudl have long since put the game away.

A lot of home pressure in the second half repelled by a bizarre save by the keeper from a free-kick to his near post.  Why he'd use his legs rather than hands I really can't imagine.

The penalty.  We were right in line with whatever happened and I have no idea why it was given.  The penalty itself looked to be decently struck but nowhere near the post and at a very comfortable height.  

After that we were under pressure but had a lot of chances to break without really threatening to score.

There's only one possibility for MOTM. Pidge was absolutely superb.  We know he's not Beckenbauer but he got in the way of absolutely everything.  A proper captain's performance; magnificent display of thou shalt not pass.

Two other mentions.  Classy of George Edmondson to come over to the travelling fans well after the final whistle.

And the fans; generally superb but I'm not sure that singing 'It's only 1-1, how shit must you be' to the departing home fans after the final whistle is much of an incentive to the players to come over

3 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Thought our fans were excellent, it’s a long way to go for most.
Thought we battled hard and fully deserved the draw, if not winning the game.

Thought they underperformed, especially as that was pretty much a full-strength side, but Ipswich’s cup record is shocking, so maybe that’s a psychological factor.

The extra attendance money, Ipswich took around 2000 to Wycombe on Tuesday, which is a fair trek, nevermind our fans, will boost the club’s coffers. So maybe we can pay off the loan, but I doubt that will happen. 

Play like that for every league game left and we’ll be in the league next season. 

Ipswich to Wycombe, (Saturday), 2 hours, 118 miles.

Ipswich to Oldham (midweek), 4 hours, 233 miles. Dream on.

And why would you want 🤡 boosting his coffers?

Also, Cup games are one thing, league games another.

40 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Ipswich to Wycombe, (Saturday), 2 hours, 118 miles.

Ipswich to Oldham (midweek), 4 hours, 233 miles. Dream on.

And why would you want 🤡 boosting his coffers?

Also, Cup games are one thing, league games another.

I'd agree a bit with your first bit except for one major difference. Ipswich's game at Wycombe was on Tuesday, which I did say. Factor in the M25 and its a decent following. 

I then tell you why I'd want Abdallah boosting his coffers. If we can't sign players in January (and up to the 3rd Thursday in March for those unattached) when other teams around us are able to do so we will struggle to stay in the EFL. If Abdallah uses the unexpected additional income of an extra game in the Cup to pay off the loan then that's a good thing. 

Just because I want us to stay in the EFL doesn't mean I don't want Abdallah, his brother and probably a few others around the club out. 

9 hours ago, rudemedic said:

I'd agree a bit with your first bit except for one major difference. Ipswich's game at Wycombe was on Tuesday, which I did say. Factor in the M25 and its a decent following. 

I then tell you why I'd want Abdallah boosting his coffers. If we can't sign players in January (and up to the 3rd Thursday in March for those unattached) when other teams around us are able to do so we will struggle to stay in the EFL. If Abdallah uses the unexpected additional income of an extra game in the Cup to pay off the loan then that's a good thing. 

Just because I want us to stay in the EFL doesn't mean I don't want Abdallah, his brother and probably a few others around the club out. 

Sorry, my mistake re Ipswich at Wycombe on a Tuesday. You make some good points in your second para also.

I hope we win the replay, even if it means AL hangs on. I can’t ever want us to lose any game in any circumstances. It’s tough being a Latics fan!

Well done you deserve your second chance.   Came over and many wouldn't have given you any hope but Oldham performed admirably against a strong team we put out.     Don't think you'll win the second game ?    Couple of years ago we played Lincoln City in the FA Cup and they put us out at their own ground after a draw at Portman Road, and they were non-league at the time, we were championship level.   Imagine that.

oldham could have won it yesterday, we had a let off with the penalty incident but should have been further ahead than the one goal scored very early on.    As you know and witnessed yesterday ITFC and Cup competition just don't go together baby.   Got to a couple of league cup-semi finals in the last 20 years but FA Cup is somehow too tough a course for us to always take on.

Was thinking back earlier to around 1989, 1990, when Oldham had Royle and played those great Cup games against bigger teams like Leeds, Arsenal, Everton, Aston Villa etc and beat them as they came along, usually at Boundary Park.    Had a very good collection of players that may have only lasted a short time but point being you need to get back that same enthusiasm and belief for the replay in a week or two.   

I look forward to the replay at your ground in a short time.   If you can beat us there'll be no bad words this end, Oldham will have earned it and I don't even class it as a 'giant killing' because really now, in 2021, it won't be.    Hope it's on TV too like someone mentioned.   That's when Lincoln beat us, so you never know.  

14 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Well that was a pleasant surprise and as I live in an area dominated by Ipswich fans something of a relief!

Started very badly and the goal was no surprise.  Leutwiler made a couple of decent if unorthodox (actually, downright weird) saves and I dread to think what would have happened if we'd gone two down in short order; it looked grim.  Bu the game settled and for a good ten minutes before the equaliser we had some good openings without making the keeper do any work.  Fage was stood back on his heels for a couple of decent balls from Bahamboula (no point having pace if you are stood still!) but made the best chance of the half with a perfect cross that Hope should have buried.

When the  goal came it was the move of the match although as I could only recognise about three players I can't really decide who to credit other than Keillor-Dunn for a a superb finish. 

I imagine the Ipswich manager gave them a rocket at half time as they had been so superior early on and shoudl have long since put the game away.

A lot of home pressure in the second half repelled by a bizarre save by the keeper from a free-kick to his near post.  Why he'd use his legs rather than hands I really can't imagine.

The penalty.  We were right in line with whatever happened and I have no idea why it was given.  The penalty itself looked to be decently struck but nowhere near the post and at a very comfortable height.  

After that we were under pressure but had a lot of chances to break without really threatening to score.

There's only one possibility for MOTM. Pidge was absolutely superb.  We know he's not Beckenbauer but he got in the way of absolutely everything.  A proper captain's performance; magnificent display of thou shalt not pass.

Two other mentions.  Classy of George Edmondson to come over to the travelling fans well after the final whistle.

And the fans; generally superb but I'm not sure that singing 'It's only 1-1, how shit must you be' to the departing home fans after the final whistle is much of an incentive to the players to come over

Just saw that on an Ipswich fan's video behind the goal. It took the slightest nick off the wall. Keeper was expecting the ball near post and actually ended up more central. Had to adjust his body and did alright to be fair.

16 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Think sometimes there are 2 replays on TV at this stage. But if either Bolton v Stockport, or possibly Dale v Notts County go to a replay they will also be ahead of us in the queue. 

So doubt we will get a replay on TV. 

My memory is shocking (and, in my defence, it isn't really that interesting to remember..), but do BBC and ITV always both show games?  I thought it was just one of the terrestrials and BT?

If it's all three, we might have half a chance of being shown...

4 hours ago, JoeP said:

My memory is shocking (and, in my defence, it isn't really that interesting to remember..), but do BBC and ITV always both show games?  I thought it was just one of the terrestrials and BT?

If it's all three, we might have half a chance of being shown...

Stockport v Bolton will be ahead of us now.

Archived