MATCH: vs Exeter City (A) 13/11/21

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Stanley30 said:

Anywho, anyone rate the players out of 10 for those of us who couldn't make it? 

Won't go through the lot, but friend of mind I'm staying with who was in the Exeter end thought Whelan was our best player, and I'm inclined to agree. Think he's come on leaps and bounds this season. 

Couto struggled but they doubled up on him and he didn't have much support. Bowden was and is poor. Adams grew into the game and was a good outlet at times. Keeper who's name I forget is good and probably saved it from being a thrashing. 

I approve of the debate (albeit on a football thread). However it's hard to have any reconciliation when the people who are committing the racism deny they are committing the racism.

There is one easy way to isolate racist speech - challenge the words not the person who is speaking those words. I find saying "I think what you said is racist" rather than "I think you are a racist" works fine - if we use the latter challenge, the debate is personal and we then don't get to address the racism.

I thought about this, and posts will not be removed from this thread, because not only will it hide the racist speech that was heard at the game - it will also hide the push back against it, and personally I don't want that to be lost. However, we will be monitoring this, and we will not tolerate racist posts on this site. There is a difference, please think about that before any reply.

There are more good people out there than bad, and we'll win - I know we will. Thanks for your understanding.

Anyway, here's some North African funk to chill the fuck out to this Sunday morning, classic chord progression and a timeless melody.

Well, I've just got back from a month away and seen yesterdays result and league position, not seen any other results but I take it that Kurly Keef is still in a job. Probably still insisting on a back three that doesn't work, not playing the only two midfielders who can tackle i.e. Vaughan and Cisse, I would also imagine he is also playing Bambam with his back to goal by now, or am I totally off the mark? I can't be bothered reading through all the back dated posts. Just remembered we had a cup game too, I'm not sure I want to look at the result, hey ho pigs might fly. 

52 minutes ago, Matt said:

I approve of the debate (albeit on a football thread). However it's hard to have any reconciliation when the people who are committing the racism deny they are committing the racism.

There is one easy way to isolate racist speech - challenge the words not the person who is speaking those words. I find saying "I think what you said is racist" rather than "I think you are a racist" works fine - if we use the latter challenge, the debate is personal and we then don't get to address the racism.

I thought about this, and posts will not be removed from this thread, because not only will it hide the racist speech that was heard at the game - it will also hide the push back against it, and personally I don't want that to be lost. However, we will be monitoring this, and we will not tolerate racist posts on this site. There is a difference, please think about that before any reply.

There are more good people out there than bad, and we'll win - I know we will. Thanks for your understanding.

Anyway, here's some North African funk to chill the fuck out to this Sunday morning, classic chord progression and a timeless melody.

52 minutes ago, Matt said:

Great post, and a great piece of music too 👍

@redlion, even if you can't see that the abuse directed at the owner yesterday was racist - and I'm amazed if you can't see that - surely you can see that such vile chanting does nothing to help the campaign to get the Lemsagams out? It is utterly counterproductive as well as wrong. There are many very good football and business-based reasons for wanting to see the back of ALMO, and the kind of personal abuse reported yesterday has no place in the fight to save our club.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Whitby's website

It's wrong, checking their match reports in the first 7 competitive matches alone he scored 8 goals, he's scored many more since in the league, FA trophy and FA Cup including an hat trick yesterday.

I've never said sign him outright, but he has to be worth looking at with his sort of record.

Is he better than what the team has got it is always a manager criteria, in other words can he score more goals than Hallam Hope?

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Apologies for some of my choice language last night, I was just really angry and frustrated about it. Overt racism, although it never went away, is starting to become more and more prevalent again, not just at football but within society in general. I find it infuriating when people who point out that this is unacceptable are labelled snowflakes for erm... not being racist. So yeah, yesterday was not a proud day for me as a Latics fan.

10 hours ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I am yeah, hence why I'm not a racist. I'm past being patient with racist pieces of shit like you, and hate that we still have them associated with our club. Sorry if that's too woke for you, just voicing my freedom of speech your lot are constantly harping on about.

How eloquent you are, you bigot. Typical of your kind, you don't know me from Adam yet you are happy to use foul language just because I have expressed an opinion that you don't like. So you resort to playground tactics, call me names hoping I'll shut up or fall in line.

Have read the last few pages and the comments around fornification with animals. All I`ll say is that there is some massive hypocrisy going on somewhere. I see some of those who like to get offended on behalf of others are taking the moral high ground. If you are so concerned, why have you never raised this issue when hundreds/thousands of Latics fans shout "sheep, sheep sheep shaggers" at the opposing fans whenever we play a Yorkshire/Welsh club? Or is that ok?

How many of you were singing "your dad is a wanker and your mother's a whore" to Ian Moore at Tranmere a few years back? (virtually the whole of the away end). Was that ok?

I offer no view on yesterday's chants because I wasn't there but I take with a pinch of salt those type of people who seem to choose their condemnation of racism very selectively.  

17 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

Have read the last few pages and the comments around fornification with animals. All I`ll say is that there is some massive hypocrisy going on somewhere. I see some of those who like to get offended on behalf of others are taking the moral high ground. If you are so concerned, why have you never raised this issue when hundreds/thousands of Latics fans shout "sheep, sheep sheep shaggers" at the opposing fans whenever we play a Yorkshire/Welsh club? Or is that ok?

How many of you were singing "your dad is a wanker and your mother's a whore" to Ian Moore at Tranmere a few years back? (virtually the whole of the away end). Was that ok?

I offer no view on yesterday's chants because I wasn't there but I take with a pinch of salt those type of people who seem to choose their condemnation of racism very selectively.  

That's exactly what you've just done.

25 minutes ago, redlion said:

How eloquent you are, you bigot. Typical of your kind, you don't know me from Adam yet you are happy to use foul language just because I have expressed an opinion that you don't like. So you resort to playground tactics, call me names hoping I'll shut up or fall in line.

Suck it up snowflake. The first one to start name-calling was you

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

It's wrong, checking their match reports in the first 7 competitive matches alone he scored 8 goals, he's scored many more since in the league, FA trophy and FA Cup including an hat trick yesterday.

I've never said sign him outright, but he has to be worth looking at with his sort of record.

Is he better than what the team has got it is always a manager criteria, in other words can he score more goals than Hallam Hope?

How do you know he hasn’t been looked at?  Just as Blyth at Gateshead was . 

Just frequently throwing names out on here is fine if you think it’s helpful but have you seen him yourself? Or should we just all look at who is scoring goals in non-league and suggest them? 
And please don’t use Jamie Vardy all the time - the club has signed several non league players over the last ten years , none of whom has set the world on fire. 

If certain people (i.e those apparently offended on behalf of others) are so demonstrably angry with a few chants, of whatever nature, I wonder how infuriated and angry they must have been when Gavin Hopley was the subject of a sustained racist attack and beating on the very streets of our town? Such was the ferocity of the attack that he died as a result. A horrific, racist murder on our streets with nobody convicted of his murder.

You'd think all those against racism would have been campaigning for years to correct this injustice wouldn't you?

Mmmm... silence - just silence.

Gavin, of course, was white. The perpetrators weren't.

So, to those so quick to jump up screaming and shouting "racism" here - have a look at yourselves - really.

I`ll take you seriously when you demonstrate that "all racism matters" not just "black/asian/middle eastern racism".

Me done because the subject makes me physically sick tbh.

15 hours ago, redlion said:

I think the actual words were "goat shagger" but nevermind. I don't see how making a reference to a camel is a problem anyway. Many people are linked to objects in their life/job/country etc. It is not racist. Perhaps you and a few others on here are what some of us class as wet snowflakes. Sorry, but in the circles that I move in, that's what you would be classed as.

I don't think you understand what the term "racist trope" means. And reaching for the accusations of snowflakery just suggests to me that you aren't bright enough to debate properly either.

Sorry to butt in everyone, but I like visiting this site because it is usually so bloody decent. You can do without this kind of bellendery.

30 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

If certain people (i.e those apparently offended on behalf of others) are so demonstrably angry with a few chants, of whatever nature, I wonder how infuriated and angry they must have been when Gavin Hopley was the subject of a sustained racist attack and beating on the very streets of our town? Such was the ferocity of the attack that he died as a result. A horrific, racist murder on our streets with nobody convicted of his murder.

You'd think all those against racism would have been campaigning for years to correct this injustice wouldn't you?

Mmmm... silence - just silence.

Gavin, of course, was white. The perpetrators weren't.

So, to those so quick to jump up screaming and shouting "racism" here - have a look at yourselves - really.

I`ll take you seriously when you demonstrate that "all racism matters" not just "black/asian/middle eastern racism".

Me done because the subject makes me physically sick tbh.

Absolute whataboutism, this. "Have a look at yourselves" for complaining about racist chanting. Shut up. 

3 hours ago, Worcester Owl said:

Great post, and a great piece of music too 👍

@redlion, even if you can't see that the abuse directed at the owner yesterday was racist - and I'm amazed if you can't see that - surely you can see that such vile chanting does nothing to help the campaign to get the Lemsagams out? It is utterly counterproductive as well as wrong. There are many very good football and business-based reasons for wanting to see the back of ALMO, and the kind of personal abuse reported yesterday has no place in the fight to save our club.

Bang on, this. If you can’t understand the racist element, surely you can understand how it isn’t helpful to our overall cause. Let’s just stick to wanting them out for all of the damage they’ve done to our club and leave it there.

30 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

I don't think you understand what the term "racist trope" means. And reaching for the accusations of snowflakery just suggests to me that you aren't bright enough to debate properly either.

Sorry to butt in everyone, but I like visiting this site because it is usually so bloody decent. You can do without this kind of bellendery.

Bit depressing really, isn't it. There's a poster up there saying people who are complaining about racist abuse should ashamed of themselves. Rather than it being the default position. Sickens me that we still have this minority within out support. Can't be arsed with it

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

Sheep, is that ok? No it's not. I hate it.

Ian Moore chant, is that ok? No it wasn't, I thought it was abhorrent.

You claim to no offer a view, then give one.

Not challenging the chants...

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

If certain people (i.e those apparently offended on behalf of others) are so demonstrably angry with a few chants, of whatever nature...

..doesn't help this situation...

I wonder how infuriated and angry they must have been when Gavin Hopley was the subject of a sustained racist attack and beating on the very streets of our town? Such was the ferocity of the attack that he died as a result. A horrific, racist murder on our streets with nobody convicted of his murder.

Even though the police was on hand almost straight away because the NF were all over this like a rash, I was shocked with the judicial system not dealing with this situation propery. What I didn't do is think, 'Ahh, well this is a racist attack so we have to allow some racism go back the other way to balance this shit out.'

That's a bad way of taking this situation in.

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

It doesn't matter. We can't sign him. 

6 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

Like others you assume too much. I won't bother insulting you. You can insult me as much as you want. I have reached an age and maturity where what you say doesn't bother me, you are not important. What matters is my family and friends. I find it sad when people have to resort to insults, particularly when they wouldn't have the balls to say it to my face.

Archived