MATCH: vs Exeter City (H) 19/03/22

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

Recent form hugely favours Exeter and the odds are against us getting anything from this game.

So I’m going for a Latics victory.

We have a makeshift defence, a piss weak midfield, and little to no attacking threat!

IMO we’ll probably need to score at least twice to get anything from this game.

I fear a proper walloping could be on the cards tomorrow!

Evans back at Mansfield for his first game as boss of Stevenage should be interesting!!!

As long as we match their result and then get our suspended and injured players back there’ll be no harm done because it’s looking very much like it’s us or them.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

I hope we can garner a positive result from this fixture.

1 hour ago, disjointed said:

Come on Eyrsey there's no fun in posts like this. 

When I read @deyres42post I was looking for the twist…

Is their manager called Garner? Nope.

Does the word ‘garner’ have a different meaning in the Urban dictionary? It does …and can mean a direct alternative to fail…but nope.

So maybe he’s having a day off 😃

At the risk of being predictable - St. David's (right outside the station) is as good as anywhere for a drink (three pubs to choose from I think), and last time we were there we were able to  jump on a local service to St. James' that drops you off pretty close to the away end. So close, in fact, that at the end of the game we were able to catch the 5.05 back to town despite the game not finishing until 4.58!

11 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

At the risk of being predictable - St. David's (right outside the station) is as good as anywhere for a drink (three pubs to choose from I think), and last time we were there we were able to  jump on a local service to St. James' that drops you off pretty close to the away end. So close, in fact, that at the end of the game we were able to catch the 5.05 back to town despite the game not finishing until 4.58!

Er… hope you haven’t set off already… 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

Long way for a drink before the game …

• Like 2

On my way up with my Exeter-supporting brother.  Genuinely worried that this might be the last Football League game that I'm able to watch live at Boundary Park for quite a while.  At least it's likely to be a buzzing atmosphere and I honestly can't wait to be in the Athleticos stand.

Pidge being suspended is a big blow, especially if McGahey isn't fit.  However it's very likely that Sam Nombe is out for the season which is a significant blow for them too.  Zanzala or Kieran Phillips will be his replacement, I'm hoping for Zanzala as despite him being a real physical threat and a workhorse he's by far the weakest finisher.

They might be undersized at the back as Sam Stubbs is likely to be out too, but Dawson is a very good keeper at this level and Josh Key and Jack Sparkes will get forward well from full back/wing back.  Adams could do well against both of them (if there's actually someone to aim for).

How Missilou deals with Dieng could be key to any success we have.  He's certainly not the undersized but technical centre back we remember any more, he gets into the box from deep and is a real threat in the air.  The fortunate thing is that while their midfielders are good on the ball, they won't be too physical for us.

Finally, Matt Jay and Jevani Brown will get in pockets of space and will need to be given as little time as possible on the ball.

We aren't favourites, but we can be competitive and can get stuck into them with the right attitude.  I don't believe that we should be scared of any team at this level at Exeter are no different.

Get them fired up Shez!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1