Club survival and resurrection of fortunes on and off the pitch

I used to collect Latics programmes and in my possession was one from the final day of the 1959-60 season, Latics v Notts County (0-3). 

This programme was printed in black rather than the usual blue, apparently due to the fact that the club's Directors were concerned that this might be our last league game in the Football League as we were destined to finish 2nd bottom and would face a vote for re-election. 

Latics survived, Gateshead who actually finished above us were voted out, never to return as yet. 

I was/ am a bit of a geek about football league clubs who went to the wall or were relegated and many who have not returned. 

I remember BPA going and being replaced by Cambridge United, I recall Barrow going and being replaced by Hereford - Barrow actually came back 48 years later and will probably survive in the league this year at Latics expense. 

The one I felt most was Southport going around 1978 and a few years later, I met a Southport fan who was the dad of an opposition player in the North Bury JFL. I talked to him about my memories of Southport going and advised I recalled the words "Don't let SFC become a memory" painted in yellow paint outside Haig Avenue. It hit home as that in effect was what Southport FC were facing at the time and I could only sympathise with the supporters of that club. Latics at the time were a steady well run 2nd Division side and I never for one moment thought it would come to this sort of scenario at OAFC. Mike (Southport fan) said "Bloody hell, that's some memory you have got" - the only thing I had got wrong was that it was painted in lime green - indeed Mike and 3 of his pals had sprayed it all them years before!!! 

Mike still supports Southport and his children have grown up as Sandgrounders although they live in Bury. 

I also recall Stockport being relegated 18 years ago (or whatever it was), my brother married a Stockport lass and their 2 lads were County fans as was his wife's dad. I had mates at work who were County fans in the late 70s and recall one actually wasting 13 half days trying to watch County at Wrexham in the FA Cup in 1978/79 - the game was postponed 12 times!! When the game took place, County los 6-2 and my pal Martin was there with all the County faithful (probably 100 rather than the current 1000s). 

County are on the way back to the football league, Southport are still non-league but have survived and still play at Haig Avenue. 

I don't now think Latics will survive relegation this season and I am fearful that we may not survive at all as a football club. Certainly if the Lemsagams stay, then I see no way the club will survive as their reign has been nothing short of disastrous both on and off the field. 

I never spoke to anyone about what it was like in 1960, how did Latics survive and come back to gain promotion in 1962/63?  How did we survive the dark days of 1969 when some businessman from Bury (Lowe?) saved us from extinction? 

It is up to all of us who still care about OAFC to try and ensure that the club somehow survives its darkest days that are coming (unless we can spring another great escape). What do we have to do to change the culture of the club to one where the supporters can rightfully love their club again and not be embarrassed at the shameful reputation it has won itself under ALMO and his entourage?

The club should belong to its supporters, we care about this club because it is the one we chose many years ago, many of us are not from the town by birth but are Oldhamers by virtue of our fathers and grandfathers having chosen OAFC in their youth. 

OAFC is too valuable to too many people to be allowed to just perish and die under the ownership of narcissists who have lost interest in their vanity project and never gave a thought to how it was ever going to work. 

Don't let OAFC become a memory.......... we have to survive and the supporters somehow change its culture and give the town of Oldham a football club to be proud of once again!              

8 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

I used to collect Latics programmes and in my possession was one from the final day of the 1959-60 season, Latics v Notts County (0-3). 

This programme was printed in black rather than the usual blue, apparently due to the fact that the club's Directors were concerned that this might be our last league game in the Football League as we were destined to finish 2nd bottom and would face a vote for re-election. 

Latics survived, Gateshead who actually finished above us were voted out, never to return as yet. 

I was/ am a bit of a geek about football league clubs who went to the wall or were relegated and many who have not returned. 

I remember BPA going and being replaced by Cambridge United, I recall Barrow going and being replaced by Hereford - Barrow actually came back 48 years later and will probably survive in the league this year at Latics expense. 

The one I felt most was Southport going around 1978 and a few years later, I met a Southport fan who was the dad of an opposition player in the North Bury JFL. I talked to him about my memories of Southport going and advised I recalled the words "Don't let SFC become a memory" painted in yellow paint outside Haig Avenue. It hit home as that in effect was what Southport FC were facing at the time and I could only sympathise with the supporters of that club. Latics at the time were a steady well run 2nd Division side and I never for one moment thought it would come to this sort of scenario at OAFC. Mike (Southport fan) said "Bloody hell, that's some memory you have got" - the only thing I had got wrong was that it was painted in lime green - indeed Mike and 3 of his pals had sprayed it all them years before!!! 

Mike still supports Southport and his children have grown up as Sandgrounders although they live in Bury. 

I also recall Stockport being relegated 18 years ago (or whatever it was), my brother married a Stockport lass and their 2 lads were County fans as was his wife's dad. I had mates at work who were County fans in the late 70s and recall one actually wasting 13 half days trying to watch County at Wrexham in the FA Cup in 1978/79 - the game was postponed 12 times!! When the game took place, County los 6-2 and my pal Martin was there with all the County faithful (probably 100 rather than the current 1000s). 

County are on the way back to the football league, Southport are still non-league but have survived and still play at Haig Avenue. 

I don't now think Latics will survive relegation this season and I am fearful that we may not survive at all as a football club. Certainly if the Lemsagams stay, then I see no way the club will survive as their reign has been nothing short of disastrous both on and off the field. 

I never spoke to anyone about what it was like in 1960, how did Latics survive and come back to gain promotion in 1962/63?  How did we survive the dark days of 1969 when some businessman from Bury (Lowe?) saved us from extinction? 

It is up to all of us who still care about OAFC to try and ensure that the club somehow survives its darkest days that are coming (unless we can spring another great escape). What do we have to do to change the culture of the club to one where the supporters can rightfully love their club again and not be embarrassed at the shameful reputation it has won itself under ALMO and his entourage?

The club should belong to its supporters, we care about this club because it is the one we chose many years ago, many of us are not from the town by birth but are Oldhamers by virtue of our fathers and grandfathers having chosen OAFC in their youth. 

OAFC is too valuable to too many people to be allowed to just perish and die under the ownership of narcissists who have lost interest in their vanity project and never gave a thought to how it was ever going to work. 

Don't let OAFC become a memory.......... we have to survive and the supporters somehow change its culture and give the town of Oldham a football club to be proud of once again!              

Terrific post, thanks. So true and it gives hope in what as you say are dark days to come, whether we stay up or (more likely) not.

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

Terrific post, thanks. So true and it gives hope in what as you say are dark days to come, whether we stay up or (more likely) not.

I saw that Notts County game in 1959 and although it was a poor team every player gave 100%, something I can't see now.

The turning point was in 1960 signing one of the most magical players of his era in Bobby Johnstone, probably the best crowd entertainer I've ever seen and this really caught the imagination of fans with 17,000 turning up for his debut.

I'd like to see new owners bring this sort crowd appeal back when signing players, not those who can't even do the basics like pass a ball or close down the opposition.

My hope is 2022 might see history repeating itself, we can only live in hope.

Great post Phil. Like many others I fear for our future. It looks like relegation is inevitable, and although I've been encouraged by the level of support since Sheridan returned as I feared many had been lost forever, the National League looks a hell hole and if these clowns are still in charge there's only one way out of it.

Another thread opened with someone saying their first ever game was the second leg of the Anglo Scottish Cup tie against Morton when we won 4-0 after losing the first leg 3-0. I was with you at the Morton for that first game, and many, many others over the years. As you say, we can't just let it perish and die, although things look bleak at the moment.

I'm not a boycotter and I'll still be going next season wherever we are, but I respect other peoples right to do as they see fit, but somehow we have to all come together and ensure the club survives

The fall into the National league will be catastrophic for the club.  I see no way that we can survive it. Especially if the present owners are in place.

Not counting the present National league top two, who will more than likely be in league 2 next season, plus leaving out the bottom 4 who most probably be relegated, ( all 4 are Southern based clubs anyway) . We will be left with 13 clubs that are way South of Birmingham , and just 6 including Scunthorpe that are within 100 miles of BP.

So the club will face the expense of many away games when hotels will be needed on the Friday night, and Latics fans will face many away trips of  400/500 mile round trips.

Not a very pleasant prospect no matter how keen you are.

The impact of not having over a thousand visiting fans at BP on numerous occasions, will be another massive pill for the club to swallow.

Even with new enthusiastic owners, it will be a Hugh culture shock, with nowhere near the finance coming into the club than we have been used to.

The effect on the club with our present owners still in place is too frightening to even think about.  We are all in for a very unpleasant footballing future. And it could get a whole lot worse than any of us can imagine.

Very good OP, there were some evocative names mentioned there. Of course there is a distinct possibility that you will meet Gateshead next season if the worst comes to the worst.

The point about the geographical challenge of the NL was well made too ; it will lose Dover and Weymouth, but will gain two from Maidstone, Dorking, Dartford, Ebbsfleet, Oxford City and Havant & Waterlooville as things stand. Aside from Oxford, all of them are a hell of a long way from the North West.

I hope you can beat Salford and apply some pressure to the other two clubs around you.

2 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

The fall into the National league will be catastrophic for the club.  I see no way that we can survive it. Especially if the present owners are in place.

Not counting the present National league top two, who will more than likely be in league 2 next season, plus leaving out the bottom 4 who most probably be relegated, ( all 4 are Southern based clubs anyway) . We will be left with 13 clubs that are way South of Birmingham , and just 6 including Scunthorpe that are within 100 miles of BP.

So the club will face the expense of many away games when hotels will be needed on the Friday night, and Latics fans will face many away trips of  400/500 mile round trips.

Not a very pleasant prospect no matter how keen you are.

The impact of not having over a thousand visiting fans at BP on numerous occasions, will be another massive pill for the club to swallow.

Even with new enthusiastic owners, it will be a Hugh culture shock, with nowhere near the finance coming into the club than we have been used to.

The effect on the club with our present owners still in place is too frightening to even think about.  We are all in for a very unpleasant footballing future. And it could get a whole lot worse than any of us can imagine.

Ironic your user name suggests you could get to more away matches than most fans based in Oldham.

2 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

plus leaving out the bottom 4 who most probably be relegated, ( all 4 are Southern based clubs anyway) .

Only 3 drop thanks to Macc, so Aldershot still there next season most likely.

3 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

Very good OP, there were some evocative names mentioned there. Of course there is a distinct possibility that you will meet Gateshead next season if the worst comes to the worst.

The point about the geographical challenge of the NL was well made too ; it will lose Dover and Weymouth, but will gain two from Maidstone, Dorking, Dartford, Ebbsfleet, Oxford City and Havant & Waterlooville as things stand. Aside from Oxford, all of them are a hell of a long way from the North West.

I hope you can beat Salford and apply some pressure to the other two clubs around you.

Dorking

I really can't wait to play teams straight out of a fucking Famous Five book 

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Ironic your user name suggests you could get to more away matches than most fans based in Oldham.

The way I feel at the moment, I doubt I will be doing home games let alone away fixtures.

Scunthorpe and Gateshead !!!!!! will be nearer to me than BP is.

At the moment, I have zero enthusiasm to watch the same, or worse,dross than that we have witnessed this season.

And I suspect that we will be embarrassed by way inferior teams that those giants of football like Barrow, Harrogate, Forest Green and Salford who have all beaten us on an all to regular basis over the last few seasons.

I really do fear the worst. 

The issue remains our owners and ownership structure rather than the NL per se which is really division 5 these days but tougher to get out of than L2 

I’ve been to a few games at Aldershot this year and it’s great and when there is a decent away following the atmosphere is as good as L2 easily……I really didn’t expect it to be a league game for us so soon though :(

IF we had decent new owners and were competitive at the right end of the table we’re actually have great fun with new grounds and towns and filling every away end but that IF looks highly unlikely so I fear the NL is not the last stop for us

41 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

The issue remains our owners and ownership structure rather than the NL per se which is really division 5 these days but tougher to get out of than L2 

I’ve been to a few games at Aldershot this year and it’s great and when there is a decent away following the atmosphere is as good as L2 easily……I really didn’t expect it to be a league game for us so soon though :(

IF we had decent new owners and were competitive at the right end of the table we’re actually have great fun with new grounds and towns and filling every away end but that IF looks highly unlikely so I fear the NL is not the last stop for us

That’s why we have to get these twats out…it beggars belief that there are still a few fans supporting this regime !

22 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

Cheers Basil, we have actually played Gateshead and Maidstone away in the FA Cup in recent times  and also hosted Oxford City too. 

Not really looking forward to Dorking, Dartford, Ebbsfleet or Havant & Waterlooville (or any combination of) but we are where we are 

Many thanks for your continued support and best wishes from the Tower   

Archived