Pre Season Friendlies

17 minutes ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

First half ok but this half shows squad not much strength in depth particularly in defence. Having said that Wigan have a lot of good players. 

Fondop and Luanba look sharp(ish)u front….

I thought Fondop looked really unfit 😂

Couple of thoughts…

No 16 Charlie Cooper put a good couple of strong challenges in. 
Hogan you see the experience he brings. 
Stobbs final ball from inplay action still hasn’t improved. If that does he could be a very decent player at this level. 
Sheron looks very composed and intelligent which was good. 
Burgess looks a real signing. Still young and gets quite annoyed if the ball doesn’t land for him but his quality on the ball was there to see. Could be our key man this year. 

A lot of work to do but you could see that extra bit in the players today. Hoping for some extra players coming in to strengthen though 

• Like 1

Dan Gardner a slight injury so we didn't take a chance on playing him, would be ok alongside the trialist Charlie Cooper from what I've seen so far.

Fondop although not 100,% fit is  a handful, be interesting to see him play alongside Porter.

Edited by BP1960

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Dan Gardner a slight injury so we didn't take a chance on playing him, would be ok alongside the trialist Charlie Cooper from what I've seen so far.

Fondop although not 100,% fit is  a handful, be interesting to see him play alongside Porter.

First half defence, 2 clean sheets.

11 minutes ago, Boyyou said:

Missed the options of Clarke and Maynard. Still think we need at least two more experienced players and several of our youngsters need loan spells in mens football.

True, apart from Luamba, the kids won't be ready for the NL. Even Vaughan  looked out of his depth physicaly today.

Edited by BP1960

14 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Seems like he’s always slightly injured. I remember him being more than slightly poor (albeit in L1). I wouldn’t risk wasting a wage on him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

Seems like he’s always slightly injured. I remember him being more than slightly poor (albeit in L1). I wouldn’t risk wasting a wage on him. 

The criteria is Gardner better than what we have got? most would say yes I think in a poll.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The criteria is Gardner better than what we have got? most would say yes I think in a poll.

I think you're right but we could quite easily regret signing him by Christmas if he can't stay fit. Which there is a strong chance of.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I think you're right but we could quite easily regret signing him by Christmas if he can't stay fit. Which there is a strong chance of.

Is this the same though with Clarke and Maynard who didn't play today?

The usual over-the-top piss boil from some of the numpties on Twatter but also some reasonable views from people at the game. I would say Tuesday will probably be another team in each half with the final three pre-season using a more settled team...I hope. The result today was never going to be anything different, given Wigan are now Championship material.

17 minutes ago, Wardie said:

The usual over-the-top piss boil from some of the numpties on Twatter but also some reasonable views from people at the game. I would say Tuesday will probably be another team in each half with the final three pre-season using a more settled team...I hope. The result today was never going to be anything different, given Wigan are now Championship material.

First half team apart from Stobbs looked ok.  and there's Gardner and possibly Charlie Cooper to be added to the squad yet, plus a couple of loaness.

Stobbs doesn’t seem to understand when to release the ball, he’s a head down merchant, what I would call a brainless footballer….he’s really not very good and I’m surprised Shez wanted him tbh.

With Fondop & Porter up top we could do with better!

Edited by oafc1955
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

Stobbs is still frustrating carrying on from last season. He didn't do too bad down the left in the first half but final ball is almost always poor........

Stobbs is a right footed player who played down the left today. He rarely cut inside so was always crossing with his weaker foot. 
He also missed a glorious chance to put us two up and with his right foot too 😮

I was impressed with the centre back pairing of Hogan and McGahey and the left back Francis-Angol looked okay too.

If Clarke stays, then he slots in at right back with Sheron as defensive midfielder. 

We still look short in the creative midfield role and our wide. 

1 hour ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

I’m not disagreeing, he is probably, no use if he’s on the physio table every week tho. 

Given he played only 900 minutes last season, I agree.  I doubt he'll come cheap, either.  Budget needs to go on players who can turn out most weeks.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

I thought Windass showed some promise. What did you think?

I think Dean Windass' son having a top knot sums up everything that's wrong with the modern game. He played well though.