Pre Season Friendlies

10 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

This Saturday vs Mansfield. We will start with our strongest eleven. I know it’s a friendly and only about fitness but…

Aye.

I always find pre season funny. If results are good- optimism flows, the team is gelling and fans start to get excited. If results are poor, it’s just about fitness and results don’t matter. 

Which one is it? 

For me, while the results don’t matter- the performances do. Style of play, do we look a threat, is the defensive looking solid. If you’re inclined to watch every preseason game, I do think you can get a very good idea of the above. 

Just now, GKing521 said:

The Mansfield game could be brutal... they've been strong in pre-season and just put three past Sheffield United. Have we ever gone into a new season winning no pre-season friendlies?

I’m not overly concerned about winning in pre season, I do find what fans are saying about our performances a little troubling. 

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Aye.

I always find pre season funny. If results are good- optimism flows, the team is gelling and fans start to get excited. If results are poor, it’s just about fitness and results don’t matter. 

Which one is it? 

For me, while the results don’t matter- the performances do. Style of play, do we look a threat, is the defensive looking solid. If you’re inclined to watch every preseason game, I do think you can get a very good idea of the above. 

It doesn't matter either way. I've seen us go unbeaten in pre-season then finish 17th. For most players with the exception of trialists it's about match fitness and avoiding injury. 

I'd rather they just played them all behind closed doors so we didn't get the overreactions every season.

2 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

It doesn't matter either way. I've seen us go unbeaten in pre-season then finish 17th. For most players with the exception of trialists it's about match fitness and avoiding injury. 

I'd rather they just played them all behind closed doors so we didn't get the overreactions every season.

Conversely- Have you seen us lose every game and then finish top 6? I can’t remember. 

Some people are really bored aren't they, we played our 1st  game on he back of five tough days training against a team 3 or 4 games in to pre season, next up Wigan where we went in 1-0 up could of been more with a team that will probably be 75% our 1st team, got rolled over second half by a decent Championship side when we replaced the team with our second eleven, last night we played probably two players who are likely to be involved from the bench when the season starts we get beat but the team is effectively an Oldham XI that played in 30 degrees heat.

Read what the manager has to say before you start to get alarmed, in the same way I didn't think we'd piss the league at half time versus Wigan I don't think we'll get relegated after our reserves lose 2-0 to a team a couple of divisions below, you get zero points from pre season and it doesn't matter a jot come 6th August so what's to be gained from speiling shite about every run out between now and the season starts, now we know our friend @GKing521 is all over it like a tramp on chips because he can't help himself (even though he hasn't seen us play) but I'm surprised with others who are getting involved with this nonsense.

Only game I'll get worried about if we get dicked is Fylde away where I expect our best XI to take the field and to set up as we will the following Saturday at Torquay, until then chill out, look forward to the take over and take the positives that you can from every game, Stockport who pissed the League last season lost 1st game at home to Dagenham 3-1 and only won one of their first five so calm down a little it's a long, long season.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

The Mansfield game could be brutal... they've been strong in pre-season and just put three past Sheffield United. Have we ever gone into a new season winning no pre-season friendlies?

l think we did once then had a really good season when l was a kid, but it could also have been on championship manager

Only issue I have with the schedule (not the team) is that we should of been playing every game against Non League opposition, it's been arranged as if we are still a League 1 team with some difficult fixtures, we don't really need that and the only aspect of these games I worry about is from a confidence angle, playing Wigan and Mansfield will do little for our attacking shape as we will be setting up defensively and that's a worry, those couple of games at home should of been played against Evo Stick North teams where our first XI could of worked on their attacking shape and bagged three or four goals, like I've said Fylde away will be a good test and we will get an idea there of what's in store as I expect them to come up out of the division below us this season.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Some people are really bored aren't they, we played our 1st  game on he back of five tough days training against a team 3 or 4 games in to pre season, next up Wigan where we went in 1-0 up could of been more with a team that will probably be 75% our 1st team, got rolled over second half by a decent Championship side when we replaced the team with our second eleven, last night we played probably two players who are likely to be involved from the bench when the season starts we get beat but the team is effectively an Oldham XI that played in 30 degrees heat.

Read what the manager has to say before you start to get alarmed, in the same way I didn't think we'd piss the league at half time versus Wigan I don't think we'll get relegated after our reserves lose 2-0 to a team a couple of divisions below, you get zero points from pre season and it doesn't matter a jot come 6th August so what's to be gained from speiling shite about every run out between now and the season starts, now we know our friend @GKing521 is all over it like a tramp on chips because he can't help himself (even though he hasn't seen us play) but I'm surprised with others who are getting involved with this nonsense.

Only game I'll get worried about if we get dicked is Fylde away where I expect our best XI to take the field and to set up as we will the following Saturday at Torquay, until then chill out, look forward to the take over and take the positives that you can from every game, Stockport who pissed the League last season lost 1st game at home to Dagenham 3-1 and only won one of their first five so calm down a little it's a long, long season.

I mean... all I said is that we are extremely weak in squad depth. A few injuries and we're left with people that could hardly break down nor stop Bradford (Park Avenue). 

Hopefully we can get a few more bodies in 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Bang on Yarddog.

FFS are some people really reading into this result with the team we put out!

My son played a game for Woking Accademy last night and the heat was absolutely brutal. Coaches we telling players to work at 50/60% and not risk injury.

Let's see where we are come August 6th...and then by mid September before we start the moaning and criticism.

Hopefully no ALMO or Shitpeas anywhere near us, local and enthusiastic new owners planning the future of our club, and a squad that can at least be competitive will suit me fine, compared to where we were 6 weeks ago. 

COYB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GKing521 said:

I mean... all I said is that we are extremely weak in squad depth. A few injuries and we're left with people that could hardly break down nor stop Bradford (Park Avenue). 

No hardly about it, BPA played far better than us. It was terrible. Shez sat in the stand first half, was all Tommy Wright yesterday. 

1 hour ago, GKing521 said:

Quite. 

The only over reaction I can see is by the people saying others are over reacting. . . FFS!! 😂

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

No hardly about it, BPA played far better than us. It was terrible. Shez sat in the stand first half, was all Tommy Wright yesterday. 

Makes it worse that Bradford PA included 5 starting trialists and reportedly were better organised than us.🥴

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Makes it worse that Bradford PA included 5 starting trialists and reportedly were better organised than us.🥴

FFS!!!…..I know it’s hard, but just try to be a little more positive, at least until the season starts!!😂😂

• Like 1

On 7/20/2022 at 12:01 AM, TheBigDog said:

This Saturday vs Mansfield. We will start with our strongest eleven. I know it’s a friendly and only about fitness but…

Hogan hasn't trained all week from what I've seen and McGahey and Maynard sat out today so the back 4 might be a bit makeshift.

21 hours ago, mick26 said:

Hogan hasn't trained all week from what I've seen and McGahey and Maynard sat out today so the back 4 might be a bit makeshift.

Back four of Clarke, McGahey, Sheron, Couto … Hopefully Hogan missing out is just precautionary 🙏

Midfield a big big problem from what i’ve seen so far of Pre-season (2 games, albeit against better opposition). Neither GK looks particularly great but I think in defence we’ll be Ok this season. Porter looks sharp but has no one to run in behind when he wins almost every header, need a Warne type player alongside him.