Pre Season Friendlies

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Jesus wept. This is last seasons outmuscled content

Definitely not true

I concur with BP, now I'm not going to get giddy as it was a pre season friendly but I've got to say that's as bad as I've witnessed today, dreadful to be honest and I just hope there's a budget to bring in another three or four players and I don't mean the trialists on display today as they are crap, Gardner was head and shoulders today and im not his biggest fan, team looks gutless and goalless like last season. It looks like this for the start of the season but we are at least three decent players short.

Norman

Clarke

Maynard

Hogan

Angol

A.N.Other

Sheron

Gardner

A.N.Other

Porter

A.N.Other (maybe Fondop or Hope)

Couldn't even tell you what formation we played at times today but it ain't working.

8 minutes ago, oafcforever said:

Personally thought Gardner was off the pace of the game especially 1st half, got numerous bollockings off Shez. Having said that I'd still sign him up.

Only player we had who could control the ball and find a pass.

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I concur with BP, now I'm not going to get giddy as it was a pre season friendly but I've got to say that's as bad as I've witnessed today, dreadful to be honest and I just hope there's a budget to bring in another three or four players and I don't mean the trialists on display today as they are crap, Gardner was head and shoulders today and im not his biggest fan, team looks gutless and goalless like last season. It looks like this for the start of the season but we are at least three decent players short.

Norman

Clarke

Maynard

Hogan

Angol

A.N.Other

Sheron

Gardner

A.N.Other

Porter

Couldn't even tell you what formation we played at times today but it ain't working.

Spot on yardy. 

Been saying the same for a while. 

Yes they’re friendlies. 

Yes the result doesn’t matter. 

But it’s obvious the squad lacks goals, and is filled with grafters. We’re desperate for some pace, and creativity. Even with 2 or 3 loans, the squad looks very light IMO. 

I think we’re gonna struggle/ be average at best this season. 

53 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Norman

Clarke

Maynard

Hogan

Angol

A.N.Other

Sheron

Gardner

A.N.Other

Porter

You are spot on with the few decent ones and how Shez can't see Hope and Stobbs wide creates nothing at all is beyond me.

Seems to me he's binned Fondop, Harry Vaughan and Sutton from his first team plans, if so that's ridiculous.

It's a concern both his centre back signings have been injured already. 

Edited by BP1960

The takeover completion will be a blessing and may help take our minds off the playing side temporarily because its quite obvious at the moment that we are nowhere near the standard required!

Whether new owners invest in the team or not IMO it will be a fair while before we see any progress and even then we’ll be playing catch up with the likes of Chesterfield, Notts Co. Wrexham etc.

I think you can write this season off as far as the football is concerned as mid table would be an achievement with the current lot.

Its a shame because a little success is way overdue for our club…..I just think it’s going to take a fair while longer than we had hoped!

12 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

The takeover completion will be a blessing and may help take our minds off the playing side temporarily because its quite obvious at the moment that we are nowhere near the standard required!

Whether new owners invest in the team or not IMO it will be a fair while before we see any progress and even then we’ll be playing catch up with the likes of Chesterfield, Notts Co. Wrexham etc.

I think you can write this season off as far as the football is concerned as mid table would be an achievement with the current lot.

Its a shame because a little success is way overdue for our club…..I just think it’s going to take a fair while longer than we had hoped!

NEVER write a season off

43 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You are spot on with the few decent ones and how Shez can't see Hope and Stobbs wide creates nothing at all is beyond me.

Seems to me he's binned Fondop, Harry Vaughan and Sutton from his first team plans, if so that's ridiculous.

It's a concern both his centre back signings have been injured already. 

In shez we trust 

16 minutes ago, latics22 said:

Because it never worked for fergie

You can rant and rave all you want you can't polish a turd, when your trialists consist of a lad who Wealdstone are releasing and another out of favour at Fylde in the division below it tells you all you need to know about what type of player we're in the market for.

25 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You can rant and rave all you want you can't polish a turd, when your trialists consist of a lad who Wealdstone are releasing and another out of favour at Fylde in the division below it tells you all you need to know about what type of player we're in the market for.

You seemed quite positive about the squad and our chances a few weeks ago, is it seeing them live that has changed your view? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Darren Royle was at the match today. he saw what we saw and must have been alarmed.

2 hours ago, oafcforever said:

Sutton is injured had a cast on his foot in the directors box.

That's a shame for the lad, one of the few who looked ok pre season. It further outlines with Hogan and Maynard having injuries how sparse we are at centre back.

• Like 1

As the players left the pitch following their warm up, our senior steward gave some instruction / advice to Tommy.

Just before K.O, Tommy spoke with Shez as they walked down the steps to the pitch, and I’m pretty sure he was sharing the stewards comments with him.

Tommy always hangs out at the top of the steps, but regularly commutes between pitch side and the tunnel, up and down, up and down, and so on, all game. 

Today was different, as he had clearly been told to observe from elsewhere. 
He spent most of the game seated with the supporters on the Chaddy side of the main stand lower.

Anyone know what was that all about? 

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

You seemed quite positive about the squad and our chances a few weeks ago, is it seeing them live that has changed your view? 

I don't normally go pre season and start every season with optimism but thought I'd go today, I was shocked how dysfunctional we looked, now that might be an overreaction but we literally offered nothing, Mansfield toyed with us really we had no shape or structure to our play, second goal in particular saw Hope covering at left back running through treacle, I left before the end and feel there needs to be a massive improvement in a couple of weeks for us to be competitive.

Basics sadly lacking, McGahey, Couto, Cooper, Tollit, Stobbs, Hope were all dreadful first half Luamba and Fondop huffed and puffed but did nothing, Burgess and Tollit looked lost second half, both lightweight and got no bollocks particularly in central positions.

I'm worried because I thought we'd be better prepared but I think the footballs going to be grim particularly when we play 6 at the back at times, Stobbs and Hope spent half their time playing as wing backs on the outside of a back four or tucking in alongside the centre halfs, we'll lose the midfield battle week in week out with a team like that, honestly Whelan would offer some balance and that sounds desperate but those trialists are way off what's required.

Is there a budget for players or are we just trying to stay up this season? I was hopeful but must admit it looks pretty grim after 6 hours of football we've scored one flukey goal, big week ahead both on and off the pitch. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I don't normally go pre season and start every season with optimism but thought I'd go today, I was shocked how dysfunctional we looked, now that might be an overreaction but we literally offered nothing, Mansfield toyed with us really we had no shape or structure to our play, second goal in particular saw Hope covering at left back running through treacle, I left before the end and feel there needs to be a massive improvement in a couple of weeks for us to be competitive.

Basics sadly lacking, McGahey, Couto, Cooper, Tollit, Stobbs, Hope were all dreadful first half Luamba and Fondop huffed and puffed but did nothing, Burgess and Tollit looked lost second half, both lightweight and got no bollocks particularly in central positions.

I'm worried because I thought we'd be better prepared but I think the footballs going to be grim particularly when we play 6 at the back at times, Stobbs and Hope spent half their time playing as wing backs on the outside of a back four or tucking in alongside the centre halfs, we'll lose the midfield battle week in week out with a team like that, honestly Whelan would offer some balance and that sounds desperate but those trialists are way off what's required.

Is there a budget for players or are we just trying to stay up this season? I was hopeful but must admit it looks pretty grim after 6 hours of football we've scored one flukey goal, big week ahead both on and off the pitch. 

I thought V Wigan we competed well and pre season progress was going as well as could be expected.

However, today, sadly, a massive step back because we showed absolutely nothing in terms of a real attacking intent, not helped by a dysfunctional midfield and a back 5 that ended as a 4 with Stobbs playing right full back! 

Tuesday, we go to Radcliffe Borough which has already cost me a fiver, and if I was Shez, I’d send a team out to score 3 minimum, and make them all walk home If the don’t. 

6 hours ago, hollandspies said:

I thought V Wigan we competed well and pre season progress was going as well as could be expected.

However, today, sadly, a massive step back because we showed absolutely nothing in terms of a real attacking intent, not helped by a dysfunctional midfield and a back 5 that ended as a 4 with Stobbs playing right full back! 

Tuesday, we go to Radcliffe Borough which has already cost me a fiver, and if I was Shez, I’d send a team out to score 3 minimum, and make them all walk home If the don’t. 

Radcliffe are unbeaten pre season, Adams is likely to have Couto on toast from what I saw of him yesterday.

Reflecting on my thoughts of yesterday's friendly, many have said results arent really  important and I can agree with that.

However, when I see players who havent even basic skills like controlling the ball or being able to pass it to colleague when not under pressure I despair.

Add to this no team co-ordination or attacking threat I feel all is not well with the management structure and recruitment.

Edited by BP1960
  • Thanks 1