What do the supporters want/expect for the rest of the season

So what do we expect for the rest of this season both on and off the pitch?

Off the pitch progress and the feel good factor seems to be so much more than the dross we are seeing on it.

Based on what we've seen so far I expect both the off pitch Matchday experience  and the commercial side of the business to continuously improve and move forward which I'm really happy about as long term it will help massively.

On the pitch however it seems to be going in the reverse direction and this needs to change and change quickly.

My expectation on the playing side was to hopefully start the season brightly, build a squad that could challenge for a top 5/6 spot by the end of September and have some fun going to grounds and clubs that most fans would never have dreamed we'd be playing a few years back 

However it's pretty clear after being outplayed by 3 of our first 4 opponents, that unless something changes now this isn't going to happen.

Put simply I do not want to be playing in the National League...full stop.

Being a Southern based excile, my son plays for Woking at up to U23 level. I've seen a lot of National League U 18 sides over the past couple of years and trust me there are loads of young, tallented, quick and skillful players around just as good as Harry Vaughan just waiting to put one over on us. The longer it takes us to get out of this league the harder it will get.

Our squad has no bright sparks and we need to find some players with skill and energy, some ambition and who will be honoured to play for a team like Oldham.

Last year I watched my boy at Dorking, Maidenhead, Aldershot and Eastleigh and trust me you don't want to be playing there year after year. It's a million miles from Boundary Park even today.

We need a young, ambitious manager whom knows how to play attractive football, the type of players we need to do this and where to find them. I'd take at least 3 or 4 players from Dorking and Wealdstone who would improve us massively and every side we play will have one or two who are real gems.

It really wouldn't take much to get these players to Oldham as most NL clubs would let them go for a few grand with a generous sell on clause. It's how they survive.

Be good to hear what everyone else thinks??

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was an interesting read and insight from someone within touching distance of the league Latics now find themselves in. I certainly agree on the point of needing fresh blood in the form of a manager with ambition and nous in the modern game. The big question is if said manager can get a tune out of the current squad and if the board are willing to take the plunge or sit on the fence.

Want - win more games than last season particularly at home and be in top half of table and not at or near the bottom of the table looking over our shoulders at relegation. I want to see attractive, passing football but would accept the lump it up to Porter/Fondop style of play if it works and we achieve the forgoing.

Expect - from what I've seen so far in preseason and in the league to date generally speaking these players are not an improvement on what we had last season so I expect yet another season of struggle. Re signing Stobbs who I considered to be one of, if not the worst player (sorry Jack) last season should have been a warning to me of things to come rather than thinking he may improve with better players around him but clearly they didn't materialise.

It's still very early days and with some decent (hopefully) loan signings to come that may give us a lift my 'want' for the season is still a possibility.

Clear up the absolute mess created by Curly, Larry and Bo. This might take a while.

Stay debt free. This will still take some of Frank's money, and will do for a while.

Develop/infrastructure/income streams.

Stay in the NL.

Start moving forward slowly, if necessary.

Stability and steady growth.

That said, we also need to make progress on the pitch.

Stop playing three CBs, with no pace.

Stop playing only two in midfield. Most teams have variations that give them 3 in the midfield. We're being overrun. It's the modern game. Then we're exposed at the back.

Bring in some pace and quality. At least 3 to start off.

A shitstorm free season off the pitch where we put the building blocks in place to have a go at promotion not just next season but the season after should we fail and if we did win promotion to push forward up the football league I want us to set ourselves up for 3-4 years of progresion.

What we get on the pitch anything above mid table is a bonus however I expect this squad to evolve over the course of the season and be in a better place than it is now at the end of the season. 

I'm not worried about todays result I expect it not to be the last defeat. I will take 12 months of going nowhere on the pitch aslong as it leads to a plan to go forwards after that.

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

A shitstorm free season off the pitch where we put the building blocks in place to have a go at promotion not just next season but the season after should we fail and if we did win promotion to push forward up the football league I want us to set ourselves up for 3-4 years of progresion.

What we get on the pitch anything above mid table is a bonus however I expect this squad to evolve over the course of the season and be in a better place than it is now at the end of the season. 

I'm not worried about todays result. I will take 12 months of going nowhere aslong as it leads to a plan to go forwards after that.

I've seen teams change dramatically with 3 better acquisitions, problem is I'm not convinced they will be.

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I've seen teams change dramatically with 3 better acquisitions, problem is I'm not convinced they will be.

Yeah they can they don't have to be world beaters just better than what we have we can easily find a couple of midfielders than what we have who we can get on loan.

I don't want relegation. 

I want the gates and atmosphere of the last two home games (with the Athleticos doing their thing, in particular) to stay for the whole season.

Anything else is a bonus..

What we want and what we should expect look like two very different things, let's see what this week brings because if we don't get in the 3 or 4 players we all know we need this could get very embarrassing and I'm saying that after sitting next to the Wealdstone fans taking the piss out of us.

Somethingelse we need to do too, we need to start becoming innovative in the transfer market. If we want to become successful we are going to have get value for money in recruitment.

Employing a Head of recruitment might be good idea here and get them to start building up a knowledge of players that we can get hold off who can be value for money signings. That's not restricted to young players coming through who we can sell on although Id expect us to look for these. It can be a player who is undervalued at another club who cam come here with abit of love and we can get him to thrive. It might even be a player coming to the end of his career who we can squeeze the last bit of football out of.

We have our best ever managers who built his reputation doing that sat on our board we should atleast tap into his experience to put together a strategy for recruiting players over 5-10 years. meaning we will get bang for our buck consistently.

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

I've seen a John Sheridan Oldham team improve dramatically with 3 key acquisitions. The problem was by their second month it was a Richie Wellens Oldham team.

5 hours ago, Londonboy said:

So what do we expect for the rest of this season both on and off the pitch?

Off the pitch progress and the feel good factor seems to be so much more than the dross we are seeing on it.

Based on what we've seen so far I expect both the off pitch Matchday experience  and the commercial side of the business to continuously improve and move forward which I'm really happy about as long term it will help massively.

On the pitch however it seems to be going in the reverse direction and this needs to change and change quickly.

My expectation on the playing side was to hopefully start the season brightly, build a squad that could challenge for a top 5/6 spot by the end of September and have some fun going to grounds and clubs that most fans would never have dreamed we'd be playing a few years back 

However it's pretty clear after being outplayed by 3 of our first 4 opponents, that unless something changes now this isn't going to happen.

Put simply I do not want to be playing in the National League...full stop.

Being a Southern based excile, my son plays for Woking at up to U23 level. I've seen a lot of National League U 18 sides over the past couple of years and trust me there are loads of young, tallented, quick and skillful players around just as good as Harry Vaughan just waiting to put one over on us. The longer it takes us to get out of this league the harder it will get.

Our squad has no bright sparks and we need to find some players with skill and energy, some ambition and who will be honoured to play for a team like Oldham.

Last year I watched my boy at Dorking, Maidenhead, Aldershot and Eastleigh and trust me you don't want to be playing there year after year. It's a million miles from Boundary Park even today.

We need a young, ambitious manager whom knows how to play attractive football, the type of players we need to do this and where to find them. I'd take at least 3 or 4 players from Dorking and Wealdstone who would improve us massively and every side we play will have one or two who are real gems.

It really wouldn't take much to get these players to Oldham as most NL clubs would let them go for a few grand with a generous sell on clause. It's how they survive.

Be good to hear what everyone else thinks??

The part-time teams have a unique offering. Plenty of those players are commuting to London for their day jobs and getting big money. Jack Cook for instance at Wealdstone is one of the best defenders below League One. But he's not going anywhere anytime soon cos he's got a great job and the only team that might be able to make it worth his while is Wrexham. Wealdstone will surprise plenty of teams this year. Max Kretzschmar and Lewis Kinsella in particular were among the signings of the summer in this league.

Dorking too. We tried to sign Rutherford in the summer, they wanted £200k. It's not a case of chucking them £10k and stealing their best. The level below is your best bet. There's no deadwood in the National League these days. We also tried to sign Josh Kelly from Maidenhead - they wanted six figures.

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I just want the same that I wanted under Corney and the Lemsagam brothers - to win football matches on a Saturday and Tuesday. It really is that simple...

So do most I think but what do you think we need to do to achieve this? 

Have we got a head youth development at all at the club?

That's also needs looking at. Darren Royle said in his interview that the academy needs looking at so I assume we will have to put somekind of plan in place for that too.

If we want to win more football matches then the whole culture of the club needs to transform because we are not geared to that yet. That takes time and cannot be solved in 3-4 weeks or just by simply changing the manager the problems run much deeper than that.

10 hours ago, Witham said:

The part-time teams have a unique offering. Plenty of those players are commuting to London for their day jobs and getting big money. Jack Cook for instance at Wealdstone is one of the best defenders below League One. But he's not going anywhere anytime soon cos he's got a great job and the only team that might be able to make it worth his while is Wrexham. Wealdstone will surprise plenty of teams this year. Max Kretzschmar and Lewis Kinsella in particular were among the signings of the summer in this league.

Dorking too. We tried to sign Rutherford in the summer, they wanted £200k. It's not a case of chucking them £10k and stealing their best. The level below is your best bet. There's no deadwood in the National League these days. We also tried to sign Josh Kelly from Maidenhead - they wanted six figures.

There’s no deadwood in the national league ? You’ve obviously not taken into account our newly assembled squad of pure deadwood

35 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

There’s no deadwood in the national league ? You’ve obviously not taken into account our newly assembled squad of pure deadwood

Want - promotion

Expect - I expect Oldham Athletic to be challenging at the top 

Think will happen - some type of improvement during the second half of the season and a 14th place finish. I think we will have some real lows first, with a period where we could be sucked into a relegation battle.

@Lee Sinnottoften says what he expects and demands - fair enough. What does he think will happen this season? 

I would like to know what the clubs aspirations are,

? shez said promotion, Frank seemed to say that at his first press conference. Then said in his last interview it would be a miracle then back tracked on that. I can set my expectations based on what they feel is achievable. 

9 minutes ago, Andy b said:

Want - promotion

Expect - I expect Oldham Athletic to be challenging at the top 

Think will happen - some type of improvement during the second half of the season and a 14th place finish. I think we will have some real lows first, with a period where we could be sucked into a relegation battle.

@Lee Sinnottoften says what he expects and demands - fair enough. What does he think will happen this season? 

I think we will finish 15th with the current manager in charge...

11 hours ago, Witham said:

This is spot on. No reason why part time players at this level will be any worse than full time. Esp near London.

Archived