What do the supporters want/expect for the rest of the season

1 hour ago, underdog said:

We build on and off the pitch. No rush job as it has to be right.

Employ the right staff on and off the pitch build a culture of inclusivity, community, our pride, our club, our communities. A model learned from/inspired by other clubs 

Putting the club, asset and surrounding land back together is massive first step. Asset locking for the future so we never go through this mess again and learn the lessons with the loss of sheddings.

Getting the foundations/groundwork right, re-assessing and building up towards sustainability is going to take awhile. With lots of different partners in the Borough that need to buy in...consortium of businesses, OMBC, NHS, OACT, ORFLC, OEC, Sport England, PTB/OASF/Athleticos 

This is a massive project I hope for sports, health and wellbeing for all Oldhamers' regardless of age and abilities whilst addressing those in-equalities our town struggles with.

It's a massive job. It's going to take all of us...but we need that direction, vision, 3-5yr plan from our custodians first.....

I will presume that it will be rolled out once BP & surrounding land has been acquired.

This 100%

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, underdog said:

Employ the right staff on and off the pitch build a culture of inclusivity, community, our pride, our club, our communities. A model learned from/inspired by other clubs 

Putting the club, asset and surrounding land back together is massive first step. Asset locking for the future so we never go through this mess again and learn the lessons with the loss of sheddings.

Getting the foundations/groundwork right, re-assessing and building up towards sustainability is going to take awhile. With lots of different partners in the Borough that need to buy in...consortium of businesses, OMBC, NHS, OACT, ORFLC, OEC, Sport England, PTB/OASF/Athleticos 

This is a massive project I hope for sports, health and wellbeing for all Oldhamers' regardless of age and abilities whilst addressing those in-equalities our town struggles with.

It's a massive job. It's going to take all of us...but we need that direction, vision, 3-5yr plan from our custodians first.....

I will presume that it will be rolled out once BP & surrounding land has been acquired.

Very well said 

3 hours ago, underdog said:

Sums up what I was thinking plus a hell of a lot more. Great post 👏

4 hours ago, underdog said:

All very well put and I agree with everything you have said here.

However we are a football club first and foremost and success by most will be measured by our football results and football standing.

I'm happy to listen to, and 100% support any long term plan from the owners which will safeguard the club long-term as I'd like to be supporting the team and club for another 45 years.

But we just can't get into a situation where we are in any danger of dropping down the pyramid any further, so I understand the immediate footballing concerns of many and would be more comfortable knowing that they were being addressed as a matter of urgency....

45 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

All very well put and I agree with everything you have said here.

However we are a football club first and foremost and success by most will be measured by our football results and football standing.

I'm happy to listen to, and 100% support any long term plan from the owners which will safeguard the club long-term as I'd like to be supporting the team and club for another 45 years.

But we just can't get into a situation where we are in any danger of dropping down the pyramid any further, so I understand the immediate footballing concerns of many and would be more comfortable knowing that they were being addressed as a matter of urgency....

All the suggestions that Underdog has suggested, WILL lead to success on the pitch further down the line if done properly. As we will be more secure off the pitch we will become stronger on it.

Their is a balancing act I agree for addressing the Short Medium and Long term issues. 

In the short term 3-4 signings will go along way to keeping the natives content again if they are the right signings.

16 hours ago, underdog said:

Best thing I have read this weekend by a country mile

Makes a refreshing change from folk who couldn't run a corner shop, spewing out advise to a fella who has spent £12,000,000 of his own money, to give our football club a chance of a decent future 

12 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

All the suggestions that Underdog has suggested, WILL lead to success on the pitch further down the line if done properly. As we will be more secure off the pitch we will become stronger on it.

Their is a balancing act I agree for addressing the Short Medium and Long term issues. 

In the short term 3-4 signings will go along way to keeping the natives content again if they are the right signings.

To flip it on it's head slightly, has there ever been a club that's gone down this route - of infrastructure investment, slow building of community hub and focus on academy, sensible player budgets etc that hasn't then seen an upturn in playing fortunes over time? 

The splash the cash on players route has massive risk attached and zero guarantees it would even work. 

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

To flip it on it's head slightly, has there ever been a club that's gone down this route - of infrastructure investment, slow building of community hub and focus on academy, sensible player budgets etc that hasn't then seen an upturn in playing fortunes over time? 

The splash the cash on players route has massive risk attached and zero guarantees it would even work. 

And we've already been there in the Moore era.  

6 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Well no but then again Football clubs are rarely run like proper businesses they are more like populist institutions so a few bad results and everyone is screeming sign a new striker and sack The manager in fear of losing fans or worse getting relegated.

Alot of people get into Football with these well meaning intentions and then get suckered into doing stuff like going through manager after manager and panic signings.

It's kind of the nature of the beast. If you spend £30million on a team and it gets you a promotion or 2 you are a hero. However 5 years down the line that team you spent £30 million has either got too old or wants to leave so you need to spend another £30 million to get back to where you were, in the meantime the stadium the training facilities and the youth academy have got no better.

Now alternatively if you come in and say you are spending £30million on redeveloping a stadium and a training ground and and academy but nothing on the team you will get no thanks for that whatsoever especially as the team won't improve. Yet incrementally the club could benefit from such investments 10-20 years down the line.

Owners are humans they and if they are spending a large amount of their own money they want to be appreciated for it.

22 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

And we've already been there in the Moore era.  

And Lemsagam to a degree. Spent big on wages but then presumably regretted it shortly after as he was always trying to force out his highest earners well before the end of their contracts.

9 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Well no but then again Football clubs are rarely run like proper businesses they are more like populist institutions so a few bad results and everyone is screeming sign a new striker and sack The manager in fear of losing fans or worse getting relegated.

Alot of people get into Football with these well meaning intentions and then get suckered into doing stuff like going through manager after manager and panic signings.

It's kind of the nature of the beast. If you spend £30million on a team and it gets you a promotion or 2 you are a hero. However 5 years down the line that team you spent £30 million has either got too old or wants to leave so you need to spend another £30 million to get back to where you were, in the meantime the stadium the training facilities and the youth academy have got no better.

Now alternatively if you come in and say you are spending £30million on redeveloping a stadium and a training ground and and academy but nothing on the team you will get no thanks for that whatsoever especially as the team won't improve. Yet incrementally the club could benefit from such investments 10-20 years down the line.

Owners are humans they and if they are spending a large amount of their own money they want to be appreciated for it.

It's a no brainer for me - let the astute businessman run the club properly and build something long lasting for the community. Have a sensible playing budget that is stuck to and used as wisely as possible. It's not as exciting as spending £5000 per week on a league 1 striker who could get injured after 5 minutes, but it gives us a better chance of long term success.

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

And Lemsagam to a degree. Spent big on wages but then presumably regretted it shortly after as he was always trying to force out his highest earners well before the end of their contracts.

Yes, and hotel bills...

21 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It's a no brainer for me - let the astute businessman run the club properly and build something long lasting for the community. Have a sensible playing budget that is stuck to and used as wisely as possible. It's not as exciting as spending £5000 per week on a league 1 striker who could get injured after 5 minutes, but it gives us a better chance of long term success.

This has to be right. We have to accept we are where we are and plan long-term and sensibly to have a hope of getting back to third or even second tier. There is a psychological elephant in the stadium in that the Frizzell and Royle glory years have been followed by just about 30 years of catastrophe, and some fans, understandably, can't accept we are non-league.

We need to cut out the absurd and futile insults to the National League. Hopefully we have now bottomed out, or are close to it. Dorking are probably stuffed with optimism and positivity after their last 20 years - we need to start thinking the same way under the new board/owners. And no, I'm not a happy clapper!

36 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I agree with every word you've said, but a lot of those who have come back to the fold gave up going long ago because they were fed up with fighting relegation battles in the Third Division. I'm sure there are plenty who think we should steamroller this league now we have a proper owner, but how long will they stick around if we have to tread water for a couple of years or so while Frank and co repair the damage of previous owners.

Hopefully everyone will show patience and stick around, but reading the the Sheridan Out thread I'm not so sure.

30 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

This has to be right. We have to accept we are where we are and plan long-term and sensibly to have a hope of getting back to third or even second tier. There is a psychological elephant in the stadium in that the Frizzell and Royle glory years have been followed by just about 30 years of catastrophe, and some fans, understandably, can't accept we are non-league.

We need to cut out the absurd and futile insults to the National League. Hopefully we have now bottomed out, or are close to it. Dorking are probably stuffed with optimism and positivity after their last 20 years - we need to start thinking the same way under the new board/owners. And no, I'm not a happy clapper!

Indeed a key point I see you made on the podcast today.

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

It is a very good question.

I suppose its how we morph/adapt best practice/good governance that is in use not just in football but other sports and businesses too.

I don't think it will be one size fits all and Latics will never be an easy project as we all know through the years.

4 hours ago, nzlatic said:

3 hours ago, Steve_R said:

I agree with every word you've said, but a lot of those who have come back to the fold gave up going long ago because they were fed up with fighting relegation battles in the Third Division. I'm sure there are plenty who think we should steamroller this league now we have a proper owner, but how long will they stick around if we have to tread water for a couple of years or so while Frank and co repair the damage of previous owners.

Hopefully everyone will show patience and stick around, but reading the the Sheridan Out thread I'm not so sure.

Like many I'd assumed the astute businessman would approve some astute signings. 

I'm sure he still will at certain points this season, certainly next. 

That doesn't have to be £5k a week striker from League 1 (it flattens me that such a signing could be described as "exciting"). 

All we heard under ALMO was- you can’t judge any manager under this regime. I wasn’t always comfortable with this, because it gave players a free ride for abject performances sometimes. However on the whole I’d agree the place was so toxic it was bound to have an affect. 

Now things are thankfully very different. 

There’s is no interference. 

Morale off the pitch and around the club is good. 

Fans are back. 

The recent signings are all Shez’s. 

So here’s the problem- who now takes responsibility when the performances are abject? 

What do I want? 

I want fans to stop conflating the teams performances with the takeover. I’m not talking about success or even results, they will come eventually.

I’m talking about the free ride Shez (because he’s a legend) and the players are getting for non descriptive performances.  Takeovers have nothing to do with team selection, tactics, player effort and/or desire. We are miles off it for large parts of games and we need to be able to discuss that, without constantly referring to the takeover. 

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

All we heard under ALMO was- you can’t judge any manager under this regime. I wasn’t always comfortable with this, because it gave players a free ride for abject performances sometimes. However on the whole I’d agree the place was so toxic it was bound to have an affect. 

Fans are back. 

So here’s the problem- who now takes responsibility when the performances are abject? 

What do I want? 

I want fans to stop conflating the teams performances with the takeover. I’m not talking about success or even results, they will come eventually.

I’m talking about the free ride Shez (because he’s a legend) and the players are getting for non descriptive performances.  Takeovers have nothing to do with team selection, tactics, player effort and/or desire. We are miles off it for large parts of games and we need to be able to discuss that, without constantly referring to the takeover. 

You’re spot on with that!

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Fans are back. 

What do I want? 

Thanks for sharing and very interesting points you have made, as with other posters on this thread.

We are quite a diverse supporter group in many wonderful ways

I enjoy reading them and how they challenge my own way of thinking

33 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Fans are back. 

What do I want? 

Excellent post.

37 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Fans are back. 

What do I want? 

I don't think Shez is getting a free ride though (and yes, no manager should or can in an ideal world) - plenty of criticism of him on here. All that those of us defending him are saying is, give him more time - let's see where we are 15-20 games in. If we're struggling then, I suspect he'll walk anyway. In the meantime let's have patience and at least a modicum of stability. We are 4 games into a 46 game season. Some of his critics have disqualified themselves from comment for me by describing this as the "binmen's league" with "pub teams". That kind of analysis can't be taken seriously.

45 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Fans are back. 

What do I want? 

Yep, agree.  But it's a question of time.  Nobody could possibly have put everything that was wrong, right in a few days or weeks. The signings may be Shez's but a long way from being unrestricted.  I was mighty surprised that Shez stayed on and I'm not convinced but in the circumstances believe he deserves the benefit of the doubt for a while yet.

Archived