What do the supporters want/expect for the rest of the season

11 minutes ago, PeteG said:

I also find it a little odd that the same people who were saying it AL's responsibility as the owner of the business to fund everything including investment in the squad out of his pocket are now saying it isn't Frank's responsibility to do that and we need to be self sufficient. I do tend to agree we need to work towards self sufficiency but also if the team is to progress on the pitch it does need immediate investment.

Maybe because under the last owner we had absolutely sod all chance of becoming self sufficient because he had completely pissed off fans, sponsors, commercial partners, other clubs, the football league, creditors, suppliers, players and just about everyone else.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Why would you wait 20 games if this is the case, I'd give him 10 games and that's it, we cannot afford to be fighting relegation at any stage this season as we won't retain any casual support, home performances/results have to improve dramatically, other than a 20 minute spell against Dorking when I thought they got caught up in the occasions themselves a little bit and afforded us too much respect we've been comprehensively outplayed, outthought and out battled, at some stage sentiment has to go out the window and the managers position becomes a business decision, of course it's too early and nobody is baying for blood but another couple of defeats/poor performances at the weekend against two of the poorer teams in my opinion could almost see his position untenable. Here's hoping for some change.

I believe 20 games is too many.

I would say if Latics lose the next two, Sheridan should, himself, decide to go and I don't think anyone will begrudge him that decision. Of course, the club will be left with his legacy of the players he brought in and whether or not a new incumbent would be able to get them playing any better.

I desperately want the club to be sustainable without ever again relying upon the whims one man. In the same breath, I desperately do not want a continuing relegation battle as I think another drop may be beyond recovery for a long, long time. Somehow, the club needs to retain the fervour because it is going to be so important this season and somehow, this current set of players needs to get on board and play their part because I am just not seeing it right now.

Is this present incarnation of Sheridan capable?

3 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Maybe because under the last owner we had absolutely sod all chance of becoming self sufficient because he had completely pissed off fans, sponsors, commercial partners, other clubs, the football league, creditors, suppliers, players and just about everyone else.

This. The only thing you can expect from an owner is to maximise the income of the club so it can compete. If they are too inept to do that, then it’s not unreasonable to expect them to plug the gap through their own funds 

I'd like a monthly update/ newsletter from the board telling the fans what's happening over the next few weeks at the club(outside of the playing/team piece), and how the things that they have been working through are progressing.

Think most fans would appreciate an official update and would be more patient around stuff that gets delayed etc.

For example a brief update on the ground purchase, fan bar update, future events planned like fans forum etc etc

Be nice to get it all in one place and know there will be a formal update each month.

7 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

I'd like a monthly update/ newsletter from the board telling the fans what's happening over the next few weeks at the club(outside of the playing/team piece), and how the things that they have been working through are progressing.

Think most fans would appreciate an official update and would be more patient around stuff that gets delayed etc.

For example a brief update on the ground purchase, fan bar update, future events planned like fans forum etc etc

Be nice to get it all in one place and know there will be a formal update each month.

Wouldn't that be done via the website and local press ?

Listening to the interview by the City fan with DR and FR and the message is clear…there is no money for players, it’s all been spent on buying what’s left of the club from those Cnuts Blitz and the Moroccan.

So this season is going to be a struggle on the pitch given the total absence of quality and a manager who’s already looking a bit lost.

What I hope therefore is;

- we avoid relegation

- new and returning supporters see the bigger picture and stick with us 

- The new owners and the Board find others willing to join the party and we get ourselves in a position to finally challenge at the top end of a division and go into next season with real momentum not just blind faith

1 hour ago, Londonboy said:

Email the trust 

7 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

Listening to the interview by the City fan with DR and FR and the message is clear…there is no money for players, it’s all been spent on buying what’s left of the club from those Cnuts Blitz and the Moroccan.

So this season is going to be a struggle on the pitch given the total absence of quality and a manager who’s already looking a bit lost.

- we avoid relegation

- The new owners and the Board find others willing to join the party and we get ourselves in a position to finally challenge at the top end of a division and go into next season with real momentum not just blind faith

If you take them literally at their word then they have no money left. I'm not sure we should. Players will come in at some point during the season we won't have a war chest it might be only really loans and the odd free and maybe someone will have to go out first but we will have some wiggle room in terms of recruitment.

9 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

- we avoid relegation

Fundamentally missing the point.

New players can only be funded by increased income which frank will drive  

25 minutes ago, Ritchierich said:

But then the manager came out 24 hours later and said there will be 3 new players in before the next game...

50 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

But then the manager came out 24 hours later and said there will be 3 new players in before the next game...

It's all gone quiet on that front, usually there is at least a sniff of a rumour or consensus agreement as to who is coming in. Instead, there is a stony silence. Another social media piss-boil beckons if there are no incomings...or excuses why.

22 hours ago, League one forever said:

You say he was operating under the previous regime-  but was he when signings were being made?

Do you think Sheron, Maynard, Porter, Hogan, etc sound like Mo or Shez signings? In fact, I think Shez has said a few times they’re his signings. Why would ALMO sanction 9 new signings when according to a lot of people we were days from liquidation? It doesn’t add up. My guess is, Shez was told of the takeover on the quiet and allowed to make signings. In a similar way to when AL didn’t own the badge but a load of #frenchlads started turning up at training. 

Your more general point about the repercussions of the takeover and the timing is what I don’t understand- because with things far more settled how does that affect tactics/team selection/team shape/player effort. The answer is- it doesn’t.

Also, if Shez wasn’t to blame for abject performances last season, (with is understandable) how can he still not be to blame for abject performances with new owners?  Look at his record. He’s on a bad run with his last few jobs, he pays no little or attention to video analysis, and has said himself on a podcast the way he talks to players is outdated. 

I think people (myself included) are that desperate for him to do well that it’s clouding judgement. Let’s hope I’m talking bollocks and he gets us going- but if he does, is that in spite of ‘a takeover’ or will that be because he’s a good manager whose proved me wrong? Fans can’t have it both ways. And Shez wouldn’t dream of mentioning the takeover, because he’s a class act who knows results are on him. 

These are all fair points. As you say Shez does seem to be on a downward trajectory. If my calculations are right his win % in his last three spells in league games with us has been 40.91% (2016), 32.26% (2017) and 24% (current). The regime under which he's operated has got steadily worse, but that is clearly a worrying trend. When he came in last season his start was brilliant and I really thought he might pull off another miracle, but as I said before I wonder how much last season has taken out of him. We'll find out one way or the other in the next few weeks.

2 hours ago, Andy b said:

Fundamentally missing the point.

New players can only be funded by increased income which frank will drive  

not sure I missed the point Andy….I actually concluded by saying the aim is to rebuild everything ready for a real go next season…..however, as we have had a small taste of this last week, what supporters really want is success on the pitch, ultimately everything else is second to that 

19 hours ago, latics22 said:

I dont get why Mike and Barry are so pissed at Frank. AL chose to sell the club, no one held a gun to his head. All this about blitz stealing the ground. If AL truly beloved this, he would have gone through with the court case. 

Because neither of them care about Oldham Athletic.

29 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Surely there is money for a few loan signings? If not, that is a big worry. 

I watched the interview with Ian Cheeseman again just to check what Frank said about money. "John's got his budget, get on with it" was one quote when talking about interference. Then he asks himself the question of is he going to go and start buying in players, that's when he says we're not, we've spent up.  Another thing to note was him saying they're following Darren Royle's plan to be self-sustaining in 2/3 years.  All that together suggests to me that they have factored in club/stadium purchase, debt clearance and subsidising the running of the club for the next 2 or 3 years when investing their money. And what they don't want to do is use any of that to fund player purchases.

If Shez's budget isn't maxed out then I presume there's room to bring more players in. Shez seems to think so given he's not talking about having to get players out like has been done in the past.

43 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I watched the interview with Ian Cheeseman again just to check what Frank said about money. "John's got his budget, get on with it" was one quote when talking about interference. Then he asks himself the question of is he going to go and start buying in players, that's when he says we're not, we've spent up.  Another thing to note was him saying they're following Darren Royle's plan to be self-sustaining in 2/3 years.  All that together suggests to me that they have factored in club/stadium purchase, debt clearance and subsidising the running of the club for the next 2 or 3 years when investing their money. And what they don't want to do is use any of that to fund player purchases.

If Shez's budget isn't maxed out then I presume there's room to bring more players in. Shez seems to think so given he's not talking about having to get players out like has been done in the past.

Just watched it, and my take was- don’t expect us to splash the cash if we’re struggling. But like you say that doesn’t mean Shez hasn’t still got room in the budget. 

14 hours ago, Andy b said:

Email the trust 

Do they have the manpower and resources?

Serious question they must be stretched as they are overdue the basic boring stuff they have to do to be a business. Like year end accounts, hold an AGM & meeting notes published. Never mind converting to a CBS (mentioned at May fan forum).

Maybe a better suggestion might be to share the load. The club set up the fan shadow board as per EFL reform?

Made up of  OASF/PTB/Athleticos/OASIS/her game too/access for all/ other. 

Being representative and inclusive from all our supporters. Some clubs have started this already.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We need a new pitch by the way. I am looking at the pitch as I type and it is absolutely dreadful...

There could be grants available. Oldhams pitches in the Borough were assessed in 2019. Even the futsal and Chapel Rd were not upto standard then.

EFL reform has mentioned plastic pitches in lower leagues and keeping them for a number of yrs if promoted. To help generate revenue 

If the rugby might be returning they might bring some cash too

The groundstaff have performed miracle. I can't remember when it was last seeded 

16 minutes ago, underdog said:

There could be grants available. Oldhams pitches in the Borough were assessed in 2019. Even the futsal and Chapel Rd were not upto standard then.

EFL reform has mentioned plastic pitches in lower leagues and keeping them for a number of yrs if promoted. To help generate revenue 

If the rugby might be returning they might bring some cash too

The groundstaff have performed miracle. I can't remember when it was last seeded 

Pitch is worse than last couple of seasons at this stage, but you can't keep shortcutting essential maintenance and expect anything different.

It needs a complete overhaul, which will probably be deferred until the close season, but a little spent prudently now may just rescue it.

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Just watched it, and my take was- don’t expect us to splash the cash if we’re struggling. But like you say that doesn’t mean Shez hasn’t still got room in the budget. 

I also think that should circumstances require a bit of extra playing budget such as pushing for promotion or fighting relegation then they may loosen the purse strings later in the season. But not after 4 games.

Archived