What do the supporters want/expect for the rest of the season

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Andy b said:

But I don’t think that any replacement will see us achieve top 10 without a fundamental overhaul of the squad 

And that’s highly unlikely considering most of our incomings are on 12 month contracts and not likely to be in too much demand should we want to get shut.

I think we may be stuck with this squad and manager for the season. I know we are only 4 games in but I’ve written this season off already!!

After witnessing our early performances staying in this league would be some achievement!!

17 minutes ago, Andy b said:

But I don’t think that any replacement will see us achieve top 10 without a fundamental overhaul of the squad 

But it's the current manager who has brought most of these players in or offered them extensions at the end of last season. If we still need a overhaul to be top 10 in the Vauxhall Conference, then his recruitment has been shocking. 

The manager discussion is probably irrelevant anyway as I don't think they'll sack him. Indeed, they would actually look very silly if they sacked him given quotes in the press from Mr Rothwell Snr and Mr Royle Jnr...

11 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

But it's the current manager who has brought most of these players in or offered them extensions at the end of last season. If we still need a overhaul to be top 10 in the Vauxhall Conference, then his recruitment has been shocking. 

The manager discussion is probably irrelevant anyway as I don't think they'll sack him. Indeed, they would actually look very silly if they sacked him given quotes in the press from Mr Rothwell Snr and Mr Royle Jnr...

Three, four or even five losses on the trot and I think sentiment may go out the window.
I can safely say that Twatter will be pissboil central.

31 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It is pissboil already with some even questioning why Frank forked out 12 million to consolidate everything if he had nothing to fork out on the playing side 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️.

No words for this train of thought.

Has anyone actually said that, Simon...?

13 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Has anyone actually said that, Simon...?

Yes they have, just read the hashtag Patrick.

If the monies not there then it's not there, we have a club and the Rothwells should be celebrated for that not questioned because they are not prepared to run up debt chasing something that money doesn't guarantee, what next calls for protests because we are not competitive this season? Marching down Sheepfoot Lane celebrating seems like an age ago, it's one thing questioning the merits of the manager/team/selection it's something else to start questioning the owner given what we've been through and the lifeline the Rothwells have afforded us.

Some reactions are unbelievable really.

Either from very childish fans or fans with very narrow minded views.

Its been 4 games into the season for gods sake. Yes its not great on the pitch, maybe it wont be for a while but we as fans wanted AL and co out, we have that now.

Now let whoever fix what has been wrong with the club for many years, lets put our money into the club now and back the owners. They are not Saudi billionaires so they need the fans and community to show support.

A building built on poor foundations will crumble.

I am confident more investment will be brought on board, but for now the Rothwells, the Royles and the new board members have saved us.

Lets show some class as fans.

This isnt aimed at anyone individually, just the many posts I have read with fans totally losing the plot on various platforms.

15 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Its been 4 games into the season for gods sake. Yes its not great on the pitch, maybe it wont be for a while but we as fans wanted AL and co out, we have that now.

Now let whoever fix what has been wrong with the club for many years, lets put our money into the club now and back the owners. They are not Saudi billionaires so they need the fans and community to show support.

I am confident more investment will be brought on board, but for now the Rothwells, the Royles and the new board members have saved us.

This isnt aimed at anyone individually, just the many posts I have read with fans totally losing the plot on various platforms.

I think the majority of us see the bigger picture and realise where the club is now, and where the club needs to be, and what we have to do to get there.

I'm expecting a fair few more toys out the pram moments from a vocal minority along with some constructive criticism from other supporters. What I hope is that Royle and Rothwell believe enough in the project to get a plan and stick to it.

16 minutes ago, maximus1267 said:

Agree 100%.

I'd add that somebody elsewhere posted that this is the "binmen league" - a comment that is as fatuous as it is insulting. We all want to get back into the FL and we want performances to improve. It's not a quick fix. The delusional amongst us need to calm down.

33 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Yes they have, just read the hashtag Patrick.

If the monies not there then it's not there, we have a club and the Rothwells should be celebrated for that not questioned because they are not prepared to run up debt chasing something that money doesn't guarantee, what next calls for protests because we are not competitive this season? Marching down Sheepfoot Lane celebrating seems like an age ago, it's one thing questioning the merits of the manager/team/selection it's something else to start questioning the owner given what we've been through and the lifeline the Rothwells have afforded us.

I've not seen anyone question why he has bought us. But part of buying a football club is then parting with more money to bring decent players in, especially considering extra revenue from the last few home games. 

Nobody of sound mind is criticising Mr Rothwell but the time is now to fund some new signings...

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I've not seen anyone question why he has bought us. But part of buying a football club is then parting with more money to bring decent players in, especially considering extra revenue from the last few home games. 

Nobody of sound mind is criticising Mr Rothwell but the time is now to fund some new signings...

The reason I say "nobody of sound mind" is this...

4 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

How do you know there is any money there though, as a family they've probably stretched their finances just to acquire us.

I've not seen it written anywhere that once you buy a football club you then have to part with more money for decent players, that's how clubs rack up debt and it goes against what we are being told which is that the club will be run so it becomes sustainable. It will cost a few quid just to get us through the season, we don't even know how much was siphoned out of the club prior to the takeover and even if there is surplus cash I suspect it will be put in to projects to benefit us going forward, of course we all want success but I'd have ripped anyones arm off to have this security even if it means we end up with a season or two before we show any real progress on the pitch, we have to trust what the new look board are trying to do for us and hopefully in two or three years time we'll reap the rewards.

What I hope for this season.
I hope the new owner carries through the promised purchase and uniting of the assets and the football club.

We have seen that the OA football club could not survive in its past form without money from the owner. (evidenced by the past 2 to 3 years where AL did not contribute a penny and the club was going under).

Frank has promised to buy Blitz’s holdings and pay the debts. OAFC can then save the rental costs, and gain the on going income for catering, fans bar and Gym. This income along with an increase in season tickets and gate receipts, will put the club in a much better position to be self sustaining.

Unfortunately at this point in time only the season ticket income is available, and there are I’m sure, lots of bills.

So those fans who want a big investment immediately in players, who still won’t guarantee success, are just completely deluded.  The Rothwell family clearly don’t have a bottomless pot of money, but they are clearly focusing on restoring the income earning parts of the club. 

Let’s be patient, even if we don’t get promoted this season, we can know that next season will have a genuine chance of being better. (Cross fingers and hope the 3 players coming in help to keep us in this league).

It's a tough one because we are all, as fans, extremely grateful to the Rothwell family for what they have done at a personal cost, in terms of finance and time and probably a fair bit of stress too. Maybe, in the euphoria of the takeover, we also expected the team to share in the joyous events and come out all guns blazing on the pitch but instead we get a team who look half-arsed, bewildered and bereft of ideas.

The manner of the defeats is a huge disappointment so is it not only natural for fans to be questioning the manager and his team? I think we have the right to debate and criticise John Sheridan and his actions. The talk is of loan players coming in and possibly turning things around and I am hopeful this happens before the next game, fingers crossed.

11 minutes ago, Pidge said:

What I hope for this season.
I hope the new owner carries through the promised purchase and uniting of the assets and the football club.

We have seen that the OA football club could not survive in its past form without money from the owner. (evidenced by the past 2 to 3 years where AL did not contribute a penny and the club was going under).

Frank has promised to buy Blitz’s holdings and pay the debts. OAFC can then save the rental costs, and gain the on going income for catering, fans bar and Gym. This income along with an increase in season tickets and gate receipts, will put the club in a much better position to be self sustaining.

Unfortunately at this point in time only the season ticket income is available, and there are I’m sure, lots of bills.

So those fans who want a big investment immediately in players, who still won’t guarantee success, are just completely deluded.  The Rothwell family clearly don’t have a bottomless pot of money, but they are clearly focusing on restoring the income earning parts of the club. 

Let’s be patient, even if we don’t get promoted this season, we can know that next season will have a genuine chance of being better. (Cross fingers and hope the 3 players coming in help to keep us in this league).

A good post and I think some are already predicting another relegation, so it's imperative the players who come in are up to the job and it's imperative Sheridan can get the team playing as a cohesive unit. 

We build on and off the pitch. No rush job as it has to be right.

Employ the right staff on and off the pitch build a culture of inclusivity, community, our pride, our club, our communities. A model learned from/inspired by other clubs 

Putting the club, asset and surrounding land back together is massive first step. Asset locking for the future so we never go through this mess again and learn the lessons with the loss of sheddings.

Getting the foundations/groundwork right, re-assessing and building up towards sustainability is going to take awhile. With lots of different partners in the Borough that need to buy in...consortium of businesses, OMBC, NHS, OACT, ORFLC, OEC, Sport England, PTB/OASF/Athleticos 

This is a massive project I hope for sports, health and wellbeing for all Oldhamers' regardless of age and abilities whilst addressing those in-equalities our town struggles with.

It's a massive job. It's going to take all of us...but we need that direction, vision, 3-5yr plan from our custodians first.....

I will presume that it will be rolled out once BP & surrounding land has been acquired.

Archived