Changing Kick Off Times To Reduce The Leccy Bill?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Should the club's give it a 4 week trial period to suck it and see if the savings outweigh losses?.  Personally I like the 3pm kick off's, however if the club's can save money and as a by product give less to the greedy energy companies, I'll take 1pm kick off's. 

21 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I think it’s an absolute no brainer, not only does it save the club money- but how many times have we sat in the dark at BP in the winter absolutely freezing.

There’s a better chance of just being really cold at lunch time Instead of getting frostbite at tea time. 

It’s been mentioned by others prior to me saying it, so i’m not saying anything new here, but it certainly isn’t a no brainer. There’s clearly no way of knowing for sure until it’s tested but crowds would drop slightly in my opinion, driven by the away fans having less time to get up here etc, and maybe even some home fans not being able to get here earlier. Not sure how much it costs to operate floodlights at all, so no idea what to compare it too, but say 50-100 fans can’t come thats £1000-£2000 thereabouts, would floodlights cost more than that?

I’d certainly do less away games at 1pm, but it wouldn’t impact my home attendance. I personally hope we don’t change it.

5 minutes ago, daniel said:

It’s been mentioned by others prior to me saying it, so i’m not saying anything new here, but it certainly isn’t a no brainer. There’s clearly no way of knowing for sure until it’s tested but crowds would drop slightly in my opinion, driven by the away fans having less time to get up here etc, and maybe even some home fans not being able to get here earlier. Not sure how much it costs to operate floodlights at all, so no idea what to compare it too, but say 50-100 fans can’t come thats £1000-£2000 thereabouts, would floodlights cost more than that?

I’d certainly do less away games at 1pm, but it wouldn’t impact my home attendance. I personally hope we don’t change it.

Totally disagree. 

From the fan perspective- If you’re going away, your going away. Therefore getting a train at say 8 instead of 10 is no hardship, and you still get plenty of beer time afterwards. From a club perspective-  the away attendance in our league is so poor for the vast of majority of games that the fall income is negligible to the home side. And even for big away days, do you honestly think fans won’t go because they need to get up earlier?? 

People will just adapt- to what is a very sensible and cost saving idea. 

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

I think it’s an absolute no brainer, not only does it save the club money- but how many times have we sat in the dark at BP in the winter absolutely freezing.

There’s a better chance of just being really cold at lunch time Instead of getting frostbite at tea time. 

And when we are away, we should be back in time for Strictly...

14 hours ago, disjointed said:

I would say 1.30pm at the very latest, possibly 1.00pm 

Before we had floodlights, Latics Saturday home games in winter were 2 or 230 depending on the date. And 3 for rest of season. People didn’t seem to have a problem changing. 

3 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

Before we had floodlights, Latics Saturday home games in winter were 2 or 230 depending on the date. And 3 for rest of season. People didn’t seem to have a problem changing. 

Even with a 2pm kick off it would be very dark by full time 

4 hours ago, LaticsPete said:

Would they be playing in the dark in those days Pete? Because as Dave says in December/January it’s dark by 4. 

39 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

Would there be a risk of more postponements in winter with early KOs? Pitch inspections happening earlier (especially when a lot of the teams we'll play will be traveling decent distances). Any rearranged fixtures would presumably be midweek nights....

With our weak floodlights might as well kick off at 1pm. An added bonus would be not having put up with those glaring rotating advertising boards.

2 hours ago, League one forever said:

Would they be playing in the dark in those days Pete? Because as Dave says in December/January it’s dark by 4. 

They managed!

From the Latics v Crewe programme of 29th November 1958:-

Future Home Matches 

Saturday Dec 6th FA Cup v South Shields

kick off 2-15pm

Saturday Dec 13th 

v Workington 

kick off 2.15 pm

Archived