Changing Kick Off Times To Reduce The Leccy Bill?

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/bradford-city-ceo-admits-efl-clubs-could-move-kick-off-times-to-1pm-in-winter-months-to-save-on-rising-electric-bills-3839622

Interesting idea from Bradford CEO.. I consider myself to be a football purist but with the cost of living crisis in full swing I think I'd fully support this idea. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'd be well up for that but I don't think it will ever pass. Quite a lot of people still work Saturday mornings and I think that's why games were initially Saturday 3pm...

We always used to kick off at 3.15 as it fitted in with mill shifts. 

image.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62405670

Non-league started rolling this out a bit back, I guess it's starting to catch on. The general consensus is good, although there will be a few Saturday morning workers that will miss out, away games might be problematic in step 1 and in the EFL, and there might be some different patterns to pre and after match drinking at football clubs.

In the higher leagues there might be a problem with broadcasting and highlights, not sure.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

We always used to kick off at 3.15 as it fitted in with mill shifts. 

That was surely a Ken Bates introduction. Before then it had been 3 in the early 60s and 50s . And, of course, before our floodlights in 1961, often 2.30.

it is a meritable suggestion with ample grounds for consideration.

on the flipside it would affect attendances with kids and some amatuer Football clashing with it, morning workers unable to make it and the drop off in away fans possibly negating and maybe exceeding any savings made.

37 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l think it will be seriously considered. l don't think it will be cost effective but that's just an opinion.

What time were winter Saturday kick offs before we had floodlights?

I seem to remember a Tuesday afternoon FA cup replay v Chesterfield which I think was 2pm.

Big attendance too (Shops halfway closing back then).

40 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

As BT Sport who will still insist on 5:20pm kick offs to suit them.

Well of course they will. There's not a lot of point in them paying for a product and then putting it on at a time which they don't think will suit their subscribers.  That's like Premier League whingers complaining about fixture scheduling when it's that which pays for the transfer fees and inflated wages in the first place.

9 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Well of course they will. There's not a lot of point in them paying for a product and then putting it on at a time which they don't think will suit their subscribers.  That's like Premier League whingers complaining about fixture scheduling when it's that which pays for the transfer fees and inflated wages in the first place.

Don't think BT Sport affects our wage structure much. 

52 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I seem to remember a Tuesday afternoon FA cup replay v Chesterfield which I think was 2pm.

You hint at it yourself - a lot has changed since the mid-50's! I am not sure comparing things to back then adds much value.

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

idk mate but its not really relevant is it

It is worrying the amount that these are going to increase. You're talking about businesses already working on tight budgets. 

This is going to kill off a lot of businesses and no one really seems that bothered. Blows my mind that you still have people sticking up for the government on this policy when it is going to negatively effect everyone other than a few shareholders of energy companies. 

19 minutes ago, Roger Ritchie said:

It is worrying the amount that these are going to increase. You're talking about businesses already working on tight budgets. 

This is going to kill off a lot of businesses and no one really seems that bothered. Blows my mind that you still have people sticking up for the government on this policy when it is going to negatively effect everyone other than a few shareholders of energy companies. 

Blows my mind anyone sticks up for the government in any capacity

History is littered with examples of the common folk uprising and saying "enough"

We just bend over to be violated then sing for royalty whilst it happens 

Archived