MATCH: vs Bromley (A) 24/09/22

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, BP1960 said:

It's the players who just aren't good enough. 

I know this from watching several lower non league matches this season and have already mentioned some players at that level who I think are superior to what we have.

Today I saw Adam Crowther the big young centre back prospect at Kings Lynn. Strangely, after I contacted a Division 2 coach I know tonight he said the same as me as he'd watched him in midweek 

No point in informing Latics though as I know there'd be no follow up.

Watch out @BP1960 if you’re not careful, you’ll turn into a grumpy old man… 😉

We were always second favourites yesterday with the squad of players available but the performance was much worse than I thought it would be. No imagination going forwards and so weak at the back.

A fully fit squad probably gets us 7-12th in this league but those currently available for selection are relegation fodder. Sincerely hope some of those injured are back next week and/or there are a couple of quality new arrivals or it could be lambs to the slaughter against Wrexham.

10 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Kewell's first competitive game was a Carabao Cup win against Carlisle. 

Before that, Dino beat Morecambe...

Didn't say it hadn't happened just that I couldn't remember it.

Sheridan won his first in 2017 I think too.

I try to erase as much of the last 10 years in particular from my memory banks as soon as I can 

That was every bit as bad as Woking, up until the last 10 minutes when we at least started to show some intent. 

Stobbs gets pelters but he was far from the worst yesterday. Almost everyone involved in the midfield had an absolute shocker. I thought Couto came into the game more and did pretty well overall - at least he looked like he wanted to get on the ball nearer to their goal and make things happen. He was probably the only positive to take from the game.

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

That was every bit as bad as Woking, up until the last 10 minutes when we at least started to show some intent. 

Stobbs gets pelters but he was far from the worst yesterday. Almost everyone involved in the midfield had an absolute shocker. I thought Couto came into the game more and did pretty well overall - at least he looked like he wanted to get on the ball nearer to their goal and make things happen. He was probably the only positive to take from the game.

Yeah, some have made Stobbs their scapegoat and won't be swayed regardless of what he does. A very, very poor player but once again not in the top 5 worst performers.

Thought Carragher did alright...

Just now, Lee Sinnott said:

Forgot to add we are a painfully quiet team. Could hear their captain Webster barking orders all over the pitch but heard nothing from a green shirt...

Again something Sheridan said he wanted,

Without Hogan and to some extent Gardner we have nobody vocal 

Awful day, truly dreadful performance at a club where they stopped one of our fans from visiting the club shop, refused to allow us into what looked a decent fans bar and social club (after sending us pics of it on social media), where only one ladies toilet in away end (which apparently stank to high heavens), where the game was stopped twice as the goalposts moved, where what was equivalent of half a pint of lager cost £4.60. 

The team's performance was rank bad after a reasonably promising start, once we went 1-0 down you feared the worst. A better end to the game as at least we managed to remain in their half for most of the last 20 minutes and a couple of rasping shots albeit off target.

The away performances are getting worse by the game and there is a need to resort to home comforts but with Wrexham coming Saturday, little hope of a home win to cheer us up. 

Only Carragher and Sheron really showed for me, Stobbs was poor but at least get going albeit ineffectively but little else.

The worrying looking player absences (except the 2 on international duty and Hope who we at least know about)  have been a constant plague at the club since Lee Johnson left, no wonder there is little consistency in team selection! 

Hoping David Unsworth and his staff can sort this out, get players fit(ter) and instil a much more spirited attitude amongst the team as if the same losing culture and mentality persists much longer, then it's going to be a bleak season for the faithful trying to keep heart watching such dross from our favourites.            ,  

20 hours ago, BP1960 said:

It's the players who just aren't good enough. 

BP - if my memory serves me correctly you, and several others, were adamant that the manager was the problem and that the present squad was capable of "much more" when properly organised and managed. Now, I know we were down to the bare bones yesterday but my personal opinion has always been this :-

1) Shez simply had to recruit "numbers" to put a team together under the previous owners - with a dire budget. Of course he's going to say something else to the press/public - that goes with the territory as he is a manager of integrity.

2) I've said it before - the squad is awful and incapable of achieving anything meaningful IN ANY LEAGUE (and I mean that). I couldn't believe it when people were commenting on here about what a quality and proven signing Chris Porter was! I said he'd be a liability regarding injuries - and I stick by that. He's past it.

Nothing clever whatsoever in my observations - a blind man with a stick can see how shite we are.

That's why I think changing managers was wrong because NOBODY will do anything with this crock of shite of a squad. Unless Frank spends some serious money on at least 6 players - and quickly - it could be awful going forward.

In my view, we should have allowed Sheridan to do that (I know others disagree and that's fine).

I just hope Unsworth gets the backing he desperately needs - otherwise he's doomed to failure.

9 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

BP - if my memory serves me correctly you, and several others, were adamant that the manager was the problem and that the present squad was capable of "much more" when properly organised and managed. Now, I know we were down to the bare bones yesterday but my personal opinion has always been this :-

1) Shez simply had to recruit "numbers" to put a team together under the previous owners - with a dire budget. Of course he's going to say something else to the press/public - that goes with the territory as he is a manager of integrity.

2) I've said it before - the squad is awful and incapable of achieving anything meaningful IN ANY LEAGUE (and I mean that). I couldn't believe it when people were commenting on here about what a quality and proven signing Chris Porter was! I said he'd be a liability regarding injuries - and I stick by that. He's past it.

Nothing clever whatsoever in my observations - a blind man with a stick can see how shite we are.

That's why I think changing managers was wrong because NOBODY will do anything with this crock of shite of a squad. Unless Frank spends some serious money on at least 6 players - and quickly - it could be awful going forward.

In my view, we should have allowed Sheridan to do that (I know others disagree and that's fine).

I just hope Unsworth gets the backing he desperately needs - otherwise he's doomed to failure.

Never thought I'd see the day I agreed with you but the first 2 paragraphs spot on!

I'll disagree on the last 2 I do think it was right for Shez to bow out but as you say Unsworth needs backing cos this lot are shite 

Sheridan is not the man to develop the infrastructure and academy and would have gone at the end of the season anyway so IMO it was better to get the new guy in now.

You’re right this a shocking squad but If we can get all our players fit and bring 2 or 3 more quality players in we should be comfortable mid table at least and then next season hopefully we can make further progress and be up amongst the promotion candidates.

If we had done nothing it would have been just another wasted year !

23 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

We can’t play without Gardner and even he is average. A midfield of Tollitt, Burgess and Cooper is asking for trouble. Couto in the middle when he came on says it all. 

Unsworth bottled coming over to the fans at the end. 

Didn’t bother me 🙄 I was on my way back to Kings Cross by the end

49 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Sheridan is not the man to develop the infrastructure and academy and would have gone at the end of the season anyway so IMO it was better to get the new guy in now.

You’re right this a shocking squad but If we can get all our players fit and bring 2 or 3 more quality players in we should be comfortable mid table at least and then next season hopefully we can make further progress and be up amongst the promotion candidates.

If we had done nothing it would have been just another wasted year !

Exactly. Unsworth wasn’t brought in because this squad should be top of the league. He’s there to build up the footballing side from scratch so will need time and money to do that. 

15 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Exactly. Unsworth wasn’t brought in because this squad should be top of the league. He’s there to build up the footballing side from scratch so will need time and money to do that. 

I think it's time we heard 'the plan' for going forward with Unsworth from the club itself.

27 minutes ago, Wardie said:

I think it's time we heard 'the plan' for going forward with Unsworth from the club itself.

We already have haven’t we? B team, create a proper path from academy to 1st team, improve the sports science side of things to improve fitness and injury situation etc. He’s also talked about how he wants his team to play. What more do we need to hear?

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

We already have haven’t we? B team, create a proper path from academy to 1st team, improve the sports science side of things to improve fitness and injury situation etc. He’s also talked about how he wants his team to play. What more do we need to hear?

I'm not too bothered about it but I can understand why some would like to see a business plan...

3 hours ago, wiseowl said:

3 hours ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Never thought I'd see the day I agreed with you but the first 2 paragraphs spot on!

I'll disagree on the last 2 I do think it was right for Shez to bow out but as you say Unsworth needs backing cos this lot are shite 

Never thought I would see the day when i agreed with @wiseowl and that day has still not arrived.

To try and say Unsworth has made no difference and is a managerial problem after one game is frankly ridiculous but hey ho he has to follow your Saint John. 

Changing managers was wrong-Jesus how far down the leagues do you want us to fall? You say in para 2 the squad is awful-who built that squad?

Budget constraints-he could have signed fewer and paid for more quality but that argument falls down when you realise he just could not identify good players.

The BIG mistake was keeping him on as manager at the end of last season-I doubt any other club would have kept their manager with his record. Unfortunately the takeover was too late and he blew the budget on rubbish and we are stuck with his buys again.

We have been a basket case off the field for 4 yrs or more-now we have that sorted and we are a basket case on the field and it lies at one mans feet.

Oh and your laughable 'integrity' comment-does that include him telling the ref about no Christmas presents etc which got him a 5 match ban and £2500 fine?

54 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm not too bothered about it but I can understand why some would like to see a business plan...

Yeah but that’s something different isn’t it? The post I replied to was about Unsworth.

42 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Never thought I would see the day when i agreed with @wiseowl and that day has still not arrived.

To try and say Unsworth has made no difference and is a managerial problem after one game is frankly ridiculous but hey ho he has to follow your Saint John. 

Changing managers was wrong-Jesus how far down the leagues do you want us to fall? You say in para 2 the squad is awful-who built that squad?

Budget constraints-he could have signed fewer and paid for more quality but that argument falls down when you realise he just could not identify good players.

The BIG mistake was keeping him on as manager at the end of last season-I doubt any other club would have kept their manager with his record. Unfortunately the takeover was too late and he blew the budget on rubbish and we are stuck with his buys again.

We have been a basket case off the field for 4 yrs or more-now we have that sorted and we are a basket case on the field and it lies at one mans feet.

Oh and your laughable 'integrity' comment-does that include him telling the ref about no Christmas presents etc which got him a 5 match ban and £2500 fine?

Blimey, that's a lot of hate.

I'll take Unsworth's "we all owe him a great debt" opinion instead and move on.

Archived