Signing & Player Rumours

It seems a long time ago now (it isn't!) that people were adamant that a new manager would get far more out of the squad as it was at the time - and hastened the departure of Sheridan. There's been several acquisitions since but we have continued to regress on the playing front. No disrespect intended, but we now appear to have a preferred centre back pairing who will be the slowest (and probably oldest) in the league - suicidal. Hardly building for the future is it?

DU is not up to management and until we accept that, and do something about it, everything else is pretty irrelevant.

People are in denial (again) and we might walk into an absolute disaster here if we don't act quickly.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

It seems a long time ago now (it isn't!) that people were adamant that a new manager would get far more out of the squad as it was at the time - and hastened the departure of Sheridan. There's been several acquisitions since but we have continued to regress on the playing front. No disrespect intended, but we now appear to have a preferred centre back pairing who will be the slowest (and probably oldest) in the league - suicidal. Hardly building for the future is it?

DU is not up to management and until we accept that, and do something about it, everything else is pretty irrelevant.

People are in denial (again) and we might walk into an absolute disaster here if we don't act quickly.

A better manager would have done. We haven't got a better manager though.

25 minutes ago, LaticsLegend said:

Similarly heard we are due 2 more next week. Although I agree the existing lot are not up to it, there has to be a point where Unsworth should be expected to work with what he's got as this squad size is getting out of control. It can't be healthy both financially and from a morale point of view.

After a period of time, it can't be used as an excuse any more. There are countless examples of a manager turning a club performance around with little to no signings. It's incredibly unusual for a manager to demand and expect a brand new squad to do so.

Totally agreed, it's hardly as though we were cut adrift when he came in.

They say a division takes shape after 10 games, we'd played 9 and were midtable.

Take Unsworth's 8 and we're bottom of that form table above Gateshead only. 

Add in the cup displays and it's just terrible 

13 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

The writing-off of Shez is starting to look as hasty as when we sacked him whilst 7th in League 1

For these times, we were fortunate to have a fan in the dugout with bags of experience and he should have been backed

I don't buy that he wanted out so soon himself, that was a face-saving exercise I reckon - one to suit both parties

On the face of it the Unsworth appt and his back room staff was a good idea, Royles mate or not, especially the youth link and Unsworths experience around it.  I thought we would plod on maintaining mid table with the odd win whilst he set about improving the squad to see us then climb the table. Instead we have plummeted into potential trouble yet again and Shez stint is now starting to look good compared to this. I think Unsworth is a bit shell shocked with how bad it’s been and whilst trying to fix it he’s starting to look like a headless chicken with a mix and match squad . I don’t think anybody expected this shit situation to be upon us again . 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Unsworth reminds me of O'Leary when he was at Leeds who responded to any criticism by publicly demanding more players, he nearly bankrupted them and Frank is probably feeling similar financial pressure at the minute given what our wage bill must be for the level we are at, still nags away at me why Shez wasn't backed similarly from the off.

But Shez was never going to be here for the long term 

Been saying this for weeks that Unsworth is not good enough yet people blamed the players. Yes the players are not great, we are in the national league. But what they can do, which does not relate to ability of the players at all is press the opposition, get at them and move the ball forward quickly. We do none of that, honestly and that is a tactical thing, not a technical.

He says he’s now got two centre backs he can trust to play in a two at the back, what a ridiculous thing to say, we could have played Maynard and Okabuge at the back for the last 5 games and worked on his preferred formation not like the returned result would be different. I was worried after Maidenhead when he said we had improved. He’s slated the players, he’s been stubborn with his tactics, he’s blamed everyone but himself, but ultimately he’s not winning football matches. He’s a typical u23 manager who thinks he can apply the usual over analysis to a bunch of lower league footballers, over complicated and struggles to recruit or motivate players. 

Looking at yesterdays team as not going through every single player. The only player which hasn’t either played at a higher level or had success in this league within the last 2 years is Tollitt ? Unsworth is massively underperforming. 

No dig at the podcast, but I hope that the interview with DR this week does not fill us with false hope, as I know the slow process, complete rebuild, Unsworth needs time will more than likely come from DR as expected, but I hope that does not win some of our fans over because we are in a mess of a situation and Unsworth needs to go. I hope I’m wrong, I hope we can win every single game and I am eating my words in a months time. I don’t want to change manager every other month but I’m not accepting being in the bottom 4, or even looking like we can’t setup a team to compete, that is not acceptable. 

I love Oldham, it’s my biggest hobby, my family will say it’s all I talk about. But yesterday, I was genuinely gutted I went to the game. I said on here I wasn’t going, but decided last minute I would, partially won around by the signing of Clarke and the hearing of a different system, I stupidly thought it would be different. But no, people are right, the issue isn’t the formation but more so it’s not the players either, it’s our manager who is completely out of his depth. 

11 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Been saying this for weeks that Unsworth is not good enough yet people blamed the players. Yes the players are not great, we are in the national league. But what they can do, which does not relate to ability of the players at all is press the opposition, get at them and move the ball forward quickly. We do none of that, honestly and that is a tactical thing, not a technical.

He says he’s now got two centre backs he can trust to play in a two at the back, what a ridiculous thing to say, we could have played Maynard and Okabuge at the back for the last 5 games and worked on his preferred formation not like the returned result would be different. I was worried after Maidenhead when he said we had improved. He’s slated the players, he’s been stubborn with his tactics, he’s blamed everyone but himself, but ultimately he’s not winning football matches. He’s a typical u23 manager who thinks he can apply the usual over analysis to a bunch of lower league footballers, over complicated and struggles to recruit or motivate players. 

Looking at yesterdays team as not going through every single player. The only player which hasn’t either played at a higher level or had success in this league within the last 2 years is Tollitt ? Unsworth is massively underperforming. 

No dig at the podcast, but I hope that the interview with DR this week does not fill us with false hope, as I know the slow process, complete rebuild, Unsworth needs time will more than likely come from DR as expected, but I hope that does not win some of our fans over because we are in a mess of a situation and Unsworth needs to go. I hope I’m wrong, I hope we can win every single game and I am eating my words in a months time. I don’t want to change manager every other month but I’m not accepting being in the bottom 4, or even looking like we can’t setup a team to compete, that is not acceptable. 

I love Oldham, it’s my biggest hobby, my family will say it’s all I talk about. But yesterday, I was genuinely gutted I went to the game. I said on here I wasn’t going, but decided last minute I would, partially won around by the signing of Clarke and the hearing of a different system, I stupidly thought it would be different. But no, people are right, the issue isn’t the formation but more so it’s not the players either, it’s our manager who is completely out of his depth. 

It's ok for the podcast, Andy is zen about it all and has reassured us we are in a better place and it will come good so doubt DR has been grilled.

Speaking of DR and the board, it would be nice to hear from them with an update or a plan, be nice if they could address the whole fan base via the official outlets as well rather than doing a pre-recorded interview with the pod.

12 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You can't tell me stop posting what my views are, same as I can't tell you.

I'll carry on as I have being doing for years, you aren't forced to read them, although flattered many do.

You have the right to an opinion the same as anyone else.

it’s just that the game has moved on and what worked back in the day won’t necessarily work today.

I watched a documentary on Jimmy Greaves recently and it was mentioned that, when he played for Chelsea, some in the dressing room would have a cigarette at half time…

It didn’t do them any harm… 🙄

21 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

You have the right to an opinion the same as anyone else.

it’s just that the game has moved on and what worked back in the day won’t necessarily work today.

I understand the point you make to BP1960,BigDog. However, one of the problems with the modern game is that the clique that is football make out as if it's so complex, with magical formations and tactics required - for which you need a coaching badge etc.

We are operating at a low level and it's pretty simple really. Get the players fit, organised, motivated, playing to a plan and enjoying their football - and you won't go far wrong. The last bit often gets forgotten about - it's actually the bit that can get you that little bit of competitive advantage.

The game has moved on to the dire formations DU is turning out, he and staff use modern trendy coaching practices instead of using common sense.

IMO football is a simple game over complicated by chess minded coaches and managers.

I'm positive I'd find the players to make 442 work now. 

BTW that wasn't 433 yesterday as it should be played, it was just a mash up square pegs in round holes.

1 hour ago, PeteG said:

Speaking of DR and the board, it would be nice to hear from them with an update or a plan, be nice if they could address the whole fan base via the official outlets as well rather than doing a pre-recorded interview with the pod.

0700 BPAS Darren Royle

16 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

The game has moved on to the dire formations DU is turning out, he and staff use modern trendy coaching practices instead of using common sense.

IMO football is a simple game over complicated by chess minded coaches and managers.

I'm positive I'd find the players to make 442 work now. 

BTW that wasn't 433 yesterday as it should be played, it was just a mash up square pegs in round holes.

It was 2-3-5 when I was a boy.  Which I suppose wasn't much different to our glory days

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

Unsworth reminds me of O'Leary when he was at Leeds who responded to any criticism by publicly demanding more players, he nearly bankrupted them and Frank is probably feeling similar financial pressure at the minute given what our wage bill must be for the level we are at, still nags away at me why Shez wasn't backed similarly from the off.

O'Leary didn't bankrupt Leeds Ridsdale did by indulging him. Frank won't be yet feeling the same financial pressure but I wouldn't blame for feeling dissapointed by what he's currently seeing and expects more. If we make 2 more signings this week (hopefully one is a right back) then that should be it until we get men out the door he has enough to start climbing the table.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

2 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

O'Leary didn't bankrupt Leeds Ridsdale did by indulging him. Frank won't be yet feeling the same financial pressure but I wouldn't blame for feeling dissapointed by what he's currently seeing and expects more. If we make 2 more signings this week (hopefully one is a right back) then that should be it until we get men out the door he has enough to start climbing the table.

Wasnt Risdales fish tank and all round corrupt fuck wittery behind Leeds demise?

4 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Wasnt Risdales fish tank and all round corrupt fuck wittery behind Leeds demise?

Ridsdale just kept spending and spending and didn't reign it in.  Budgeting to qualify for the champions league every season.

Famously Seth Johnson was preparing for negotiations and his agent said he would push to try to get him £20k a week as he was on the edge of the England team. Ridsdale opened negotiations with a £40k a week offer for him. 

4 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Ridsdale just kept spending and spending and didn't reign it in.  Budgeting to qualify for the champions league every season.

Famously Seth Johnson was preparing for negotiations and his agent said he would push to try to get him £20k a week as he was on the edge of the England team. Ridsdale opened negotiations with a £40k a week offer for him. 

It's always easy to spend someone else's money. Ridsdale gambled on Leeds being in the Champions League, as he called it "Living the dream". That became a nightmare of over 100 million of debt and the fire sale of players began. 

2 hours ago, Can Neil Redfearn Do It said:

The writing-off of Shez is starting to look as hasty as when we sacked him whilst 7th in League 1

For these times, we were fortunate to have a fan in the dugout with bags of experience and he should have been backed

I don't buy that he wanted out so soon himself, that was a face-saving exercise I reckon - one to suit both parties

Exactly, Frank/family has been bank rolling the club since April/May, have a look at when Unsworth resigned from quite a cushy number at Everton - mid April, just coincidence? I'm not so sure and he was watching us incognito all season which made Shez position almost untenable, even the nature of his departure was just plain weird.

Now I wasn't Shez biggest fan in the end but all we appear to have done is doubled the budget and we are far worse off, we are not even building for the future as many of the players coming in are just stop gaps which we already have a squad full of.

Some of these decisions are nonsensical and financial suicide as ultimately we are going to haemorrhage money left,right and centre watching the shite on offer, I've said previously that the ground emptied at an alarming rate yesterday as we are just shit to watch, even the Athleticos gave up the ghost which is a first.

I just hope we have enough to stay up but the manager is a real worry now, if you have Ifollow watch his first interview back, fucking hell he spoke some bullshit that day.

If the Athleticos gave up, then Frank must be worried, given they are one of the reasons he made the move to purchase the club. We are not privileged to what goes on in the boardroom but hopefully the board are reminding Unsworth of how much he is costing and how quickly he needs to deliver.

I don't buy into this "Our club is too big..blah, blah". I have been hearing this for almost the last 30 years and it's a nonsense but I am finding it extremely difficult to enthuse any more and justify the amount of emotion I am investing into it. I can't actually go to many games these days and I have to rely on a close friend's collaboration to put things in place but even he has had enough.

I'd like to feel we are now at the lowest ebb with an upward trajectory on the cards, some passion, some excitement, some belief...some true Oldham Athletic to grab hold of. Given a choice, which manager do I wish we still had? Iain Dowie, definitely, Lee Johnson, definitely maybe.

Over to you, Mr Unsworth.

10 minutes ago, marhar said:

To cap another perfect weekend, Leutwiler didn't make the Canada squad

Theres a reason our squad stands at 35

For everyone singed there are 5 raffle winners no one would touch with a crusty dick

Paying up or seeing out contracts is the only option for these 

1 minute ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Theres a reason our squad stands at 35

For everyone singed there are 5 raffle winners no one would touch with a crusty dick

Paying up or seeing out contracts is the only option for these 

We need to call Mo in for some advice on how to freeze them out.

Archived