MATCH: vs Chester (A) 18/10/22 FA Cup 4th Rd Qual REPLAY 🏆

2 minutes ago, LaticsPete said:

When?

Is there any evidence whatsoever that a team has deliberately  done what you said?

I saw Darlington top of Division 2 at the time knocked out of the FA Cup by Northern Premier League Droylsden and they definitely didn't show a cup fighting spirit.

One former Latics legend told me he didn't care for playing in cups but winning the league meant everything.

Ask Wrexham fans what they would prefer, a good cup run or promotion.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I saw Darlington top of Division 2 at the time knocked out of the FA Cup by Northern Premier League Droylsden and they definitely didn't show a cup fighting spirit.

One former Latics legend told me he didn't care for playing in cups but winning the league meant everything.

Ask Wrexham fans what they would prefer, a good cup run or promotion.

Never mind. 

20 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

That's a player problem though, not a system problem. Granted there's an overarching question around whether you should fit the system to the players or vice versa.

He’s got the players he’s got, and he’s not getting the best out of them in that system, not at all. 

19 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

I think that Unsworth will get more time than six games tbh.

Francis-Angol can play as a wingback and I would expect him to start on Saturday.

Angol looked a bit more of a threat when he came on going forward (emphasis on a bit) but it doesn’t solve the Clarke issue. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I think there’s a lot wrong with the system. I have no idea how they are justifying playing wings backs. We literally do not attack down the wings at all. It makes us so narrow and predictable. None of the wing backs are comfortable going forward, this means they just lump it or pass it back to the centre back. It’s wrong and a horrible system. Has anyone ever seen Clarke get the ball and drive forward ? No. Couto was beyond terrible yesterday, but he was put in that position by Unsworth. He didn’t even bother to change the system. Not his players or not, the last 6 games have been nothing but poor. Yesterdays win was a nice occasion, but we are a terrible side and I have serious concerns for Unsworth. Fondop saved him yesterday.

Great post, I completely agree.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

I think that Unsworth will get more time than six games tbh.

Francis-Angol can play as a wingback and I would expect him to start on Saturday.

He was atrocious when he came on, looks horrendously unfit and/or not sharp

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

He’s got the players he’s got, and he’s not getting the best out of them in that system, not at all. 

Angol looked a bit more of a threat when he came on going forward (emphasis on a bit) but it doesn’t solve the Clarke issue. 

He’s not getting the best out of them but he can’t really play any other formation.

You might say he should play Sheron in centre mid but he wants him at the back so that we have at least some semblance of composure.

We’re crying out for two Liam Kelly/Korey Smith type centre midfielders. Those that can get up and down, stuck in and also play the ball.

You wouldn’t need 3 centre halves then who are in to help when the opposition walk through the midfield 

Could one of the reason for playing a back 3 with wing backs be that we don't have the wide midfielders capable of covering full backs well enough? So if we played 4 at the back then Clarke and Couto could potentially have been left isolated?

35 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

He’s not getting the best out of them but he can’t really play any other formation.

You might say he should play Sheron in centre mid but he wants him at the back so that we have at least some semblance of composure.

We’re crying out for two Liam Kelly/Korey Smith type centre midfielders. Those that can get up and down, stuck in and also play the ball.

You wouldn’t need 3 centre halves then who are in to help when the opposition walk through the midfield 

He could drop a midfielder and play Luamba up top..

51 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Could one of the reason for playing a back 3 with wing backs be that we don't have the wide midfielders capable of covering full backs well enough? So if we played 4 at the back then Clarke and Couto could potentially have been left isolated?

The idea with playing a back 3 is that the wing backs get forward supplementing the attack whilst able to assist with defensive duties. Ours do neither.

4-4-2 would seem more suitable for our playing staff. 

40 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

The idea with playing a back 3 is that the wing backs get forward supplementing the attack whilst able to assist with defensive duties. Ours do neither.

Who would you have played in a 442 last night?

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Absolutely, the full backs end up being shit at both.

For that system to work, the wing backs have to be of a certain quality, ours really are not, they need protection from someone in front of them in defence, and need options going forward. 

2 hours ago, nzlatic said:

Who would you have played in a 442 last night?

Norman

Clarke   Okagbue   Maynard   Couto

Vaughan   Gardner   Sheron   Rooney

Fondop   Tollitt 

Maybe a bit top heavy going forward but the alternative's not working.

24 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Norman

Clarke   Okagbue   Maynard   Couto

Vaughan   Gardner   Sheron   Rooney

Fondop   Tollitt 

Maybe a bit top heavy going forward but the alternative's not working.

Looks ok on paper.
On the pitch, though.
Who knows?

I'm nowhere near a tactician but I just wish he would give it a go from kick-off.

Worrying that Unsworth sees a player in Couto, this 5-4-1 is dogshit, boring and more than anything not working, round pegs square holes springs to mind. One more thing why does Maynard stroll round imagining himself as prime Baresi?.

Since Unsworth come in I'd be keeping one player for next season based on performances and that would be Fondop, rest of them will be playing in the Evo stick if they continue the way they are going.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

Worrying that Unsworth sees a player in Couto, this 5-4-1 is dogshit, boring and more than anything not working, round pegs square holes springs to mind. One more thing why does Maynard stroll round imagining himself as prime Baresi?.

Since Unsworth come in I'd be keeping one player for next season based on performances and that would be Fondop, rest of them will be playing in the Evo stick if they continue the way they are going.

Couto did well especially first half, composed on the ball and tried to get some passing going.

Theres a player there but a lot to learn. He never shouted once for the ball when in acres of space second half. 

2 minutes ago, b0ndl1ne said:

Couto did well especially first half, composed on the ball and tried to get some passing going.

Theres a player there but a lot to learn. He never shouted once for the ball when in acres of space second half. 

Who sent the ball over for Fondop's headed goal?

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

5-4-1 is absolute dog shit. I hate it. 

Couto is still young. He has a nice left foot. I'd stick with him for now, but he can't defend.

Fondop has found his level - Chester. 

Archived