MATCH: vs Chester (A) 18/10/22 FA Cup 4th Rd Qual REPLAY 🏆

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, League one forever said:

So- we’re that shit, the best we can hope for is a draw? 

Best we can hope for is at least 3 or 4 good signings for this season and start again next season with a much better squad. (Not ruled out play offs yet though!!!).

Happy with the result, but worried going forward. 
Unsworth persisted with a 5 at the back the whole time. He can surely see that Clarke is not a wing back and what he did to Couto playing him there is criminal. We have no width, we are a terrible terrible side. 
Saying that, I enjoyed that win. 

28 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Well that ended up a good night out.

I thought we played OK first half and deserved our lead. Second half started to sit deeper and deeper and punished again as per last Saturday. It is not playing 8 at the back as some have said-it is just there is no outlet up front so we get pushed further and further back and it compresses the team. Better players will change this.

Lost all shape after they went ahead and scored by just humping the ball forward and for once it paid off.

Can we just put this fitness thing to bed-there is nothing wrong with their fitness now, players kept going thru 120 mins-I think Gardner was the only one who showed any signs of cramp late on.

Just accept it is a poor squad and that dictates the tactics. Hopefully it will be improved.

Maynard ain't as good as he thinks he is.

Rooney-brings nothing to the team.

Cooper-just meh

Vaughan-see his own thread.

On the plus side Fondop looks fit and won most of his battles tonight. Scored the equaliser and missed his pen.

Okagbue had a good game-great penalty.

Tollitt scored a great goal and played OK.

Thanks to @LightDN123again.

No probs mate, thank god for the win. 

13 minutes ago, mick26 said:

Best we can hope for is at least 3 or 4 good signings for this season and start again next season with a much better squad. (Not ruled out play offs yet though!!!).

I get that Mick, and I’m very confident things will turn eventually under these owners. But that isn’t the point in the short term. I believe the squad is better than just playing defensive-play-not-to-lose football. Nor do I think the better players that are signed will be able to express themselves. The tactics are poor IMO. 

7 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Comes in on a long run…

(feel free to ignore this as I’m only repeating what I said when a similar incident happened against Rochdale in January when someone collapsed in the main stand.)

IIRC there’s been 5 similar incidents at Oldham games in the last 10 years. 

Unfortunately people can develop cardiac events at any point and any time.

There are more than 30,000 out-of-hospital cardiac arrests in the UK each year. That’s the equivalent of 1 every 17.5 minutes. Given the numbers of people who watch the Premier League and EFL every weekend, the maths indicates that someone having a cardiac arrest at a professional football match each week is actually quite likely.

Whats happening now is games are being stopped, and so it gets reported to a level whereby people not interested in the game hear about it. Thankfully the advances in requirements and overall general knowledge of the public means more are surviving. 

Hopefully the person involved in todays incident makes a good recovery. 

This article from January summarises the actual facts and percentages about it (as it’s from the independent I’ve included the 12ft ladder proxy addition too - mods feel free to delete link if doing so is against site rules). 

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Ffans-medical-emergeny-stadiums-fulham-b2004017.html

If you want to do something to help learn CPR - the Resus council have a decent app that provides some scenario based learning. https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/lifesaver-mobile/id633999639 

PS I never properly thanked you @BP1960for flagging this after the Rochdale game and now seems appropriate so thanks. 

Even Madness wrote a song about it

Cheers for allaying my fears 

9 hours ago, GlossopLatic said:

FFS right off to bed.

And woke up this morning expecting to see the worst and we've gone and won great news! Hopefully that gives us abit of confidence now to kick on and get a few more results, still concerned about the formation and the way we are playing but it's a win and the players will feel better for it.

13 minutes ago, longtimeblue said:

What did he do?

Kind of ran the whole half of the pitch, took his shirt and tracking vest off (shirt got lost in the crowd) then came back from the dug out, ran over sucking a dummy. I get he has just had a baby but it was odd haha. 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Kind of ran the whole half of the pitch, took his shirt and tracking vest off (shirt got lost in the crowd) then came back from the dug out, ran over sucking a dummy. I get he has just had a baby but it was odd haha. 

Sounds it. Halcyon days. 

11 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

Well that ended up a good night out.

I thought we played OK first half and deserved our lead. Second half started to sit deeper and deeper and punished again as per last Saturday. It is not playing 8 at the back as some have said-it is just there is no outlet up front so we get pushed further and further back and it compresses the team. Better players will change this.

Lost all shape after they went ahead and scored by just humping the ball forward and for once it paid off.

Can we just put this fitness thing to bed-there is nothing wrong with their fitness now, players kept going thru 120 mins-I think Gardner was the only one who showed any signs of cramp late on.

Just accept it is a poor squad and that dictates the tactics. Hopefully it will be improved.

Maynard ain't as good as he thinks he is.

Rooney-brings nothing to the team.

Cooper-just meh

Vaughan-see his own thread.

On the plus side Fondop looks fit and won most of his battles tonight. Scored the equaliser and missed his pen.

Okagbue had a good game-great penalty.

Tollitt scored a great goal and played OK.

Thanks to @LightDN123again.

Yes, this is pretty much spot on, particularly the bit in bold - nothing wrong with the system, actually worked pretty well - we weren't overrun in midfield, attacked in numbers, and defensively looked pretty sound. And that's with most of the players offering a 5/10 or 6/10 performance.

3 hours ago, latics22 said:

Papering over the cracks, need to kick on or questions needs to be asked.

l don't think you understand what 'papering over the cracks' means. the cracks arent there bc the wall has been taken down and, guess what? it takes more than 30 seconds to rebuild.

1 minute ago, oafcmetty said:

Yes, this is pretty much spot on, particularly the bit in bold - nothing wrong with the system, actually worked pretty well - we weren't overrun in midfield, attacked in numbers, and defensively looked pretty sound. And that's with most of the players offering a 5/10 or 6/10 performance.

I think there’s a lot wrong with the system. I have no idea how they are justifying playing wings backs. We literally do not attack down the wings at all. It makes us so narrow and predictable. None of the wing backs are comfortable going forward, this means they just lump it or pass it back to the centre back. It’s wrong and a horrible system. Has anyone ever seen Clarke get the ball and drive forward ? No. Couto was beyond terrible yesterday, but he was put in that position by Unsworth. He didn’t even bother to change the system. Not his players or not, the last 6 games have been nothing but poor. Yesterdays win was a nice occasion, but we are a terrible side and I have serious concerns for Unsworth. Fondop saved him yesterday.

12 hours ago, Careca9 said:

anyone know our penalty shoot out record. I believe I was at the only one we lost at home to stoke. We must have won 5 or 6 or them i rec 

24/08/2021 LC Accrington (Home) D0-0 (W on pens)
10/08/2021 LC Tranmere (Home) D2-2 (W on pens)
29/08/2017 FLT Port Vale (Home) D0-0 (L on pens)
08/11/2016 FLT Blackburn U23 (Away) D2-2 (W on pens)
25/11/2014 FLT Preston (Home) D2-2 (L on pens)
07/10/2014 FLT Barnsley (Home) D2-2 (W on pens)
10/12/2013 FLT Chesterfield (Home) D1-1 (L on pens)
09/08/2011 LC Carlisle (Home) D1-1 (L on pens)
02/09/2008 FLT Morecambe (Home) D1-1 (L on pens)
12/08/2008 LC Rochdale (Away) D0-0 (W on pens)
18/10/2005 FLT Carlisle (Home) D1-1 (L on pens)
25/01/2005 FLT Tranmere (Home) D1-1 (W on pens)
14/10/2003 FLT Hartlepool (Home) D3-3 (W on pens)
27/11/2002 FAC Burton (Away) D2-2 (W on pens)
22/08/2001 LC Stoke (Away) D0-0 (W on pens)
25/07/2001 Friendly Burnley (Neutral) D1-1 (W on pens)
29/07/2000 Friendly Bury (Neutral) D0-0 (W on pens)
18/07/1999 Friendly Watford (Neutral) D0-0 (W on pens)
15/12/1998 FAC Brentford (Away) D2-2 (W on pens)
28/07/1998 Friendly Bury (Away) D1-1 (L on pens)
23/07/1997 Friendly Preston (Neutral) D1-1 (L on pens)
03/09/1996 LC Grimsby (Away) W1-0 (W on pens)

12 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I think there’s a lot wrong with the system. I have no idea how they are justifying playing wings backs. We literally do not attack down the wings at all. It makes us so narrow and predictable. None of the wing backs are comfortable going forward, this means they just lump it or pass it back to the centre back. It’s wrong and a horrible system. Has anyone ever seen Clarke get the ball and drive forward ? No. Couto was beyond terrible yesterday, but he was put in that position by Unsworth. He didn’t even bother to change the system. Not his players or not, the last 6 games have been nothing but poor. Yesterdays win was a nice occasion, but we are a terrible side and I have serious concerns for Unsworth. Fondop saved him yesterday.

That's a player problem though, not a system problem. Granted there's an overarching question around whether you should fit the system to the players or vice versa.

11 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I think that Unsworth will get more time than six games tbh.

Francis-Angol can play as a wingback and I would expect him to start on Saturday.

Archived